Re: [S-R] Social Security Numbers

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
      Here you go Jump4:

      http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

      You'll have to request the files (fee for
      copying/postage) to get more than name, birth and
      death dates.

      Caye

      http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide
    • jump4toys@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
        Hi....
        My question is what OTHER information does it give you other than birth and
        death?

        And where can we get this information without always paying a fee. Every
        geneology link I hook up to wants me to sign up for their service.

        DAniel

      • EMSCRS@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
          Social Security applications SHOULD include birthdate, birthplace, and
          possibly parents' names. The fee will be paid to the Social Security
          Administration, which does not give anything away, not to a genealogy service. The last
          time I looked, the fee was $28 each. Why is it being so hard? Are they very
          recent people? Can I help in some other way?

          Elizabeth
          Virginia

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
            Everyone who applied for SS filled out a form, which included their place of birth and their parent's full names. These are the pieces of information most genealogists are looking for. Go here to see a blank form http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ss5.html

            You write to the Social Security Administration. The SSA does charge a fee for doing this and you may wait 6-9 months or more, depending on their workload. Fees are $29 for a facsimile copy of the application or $16 for the information only ("extract"). These are US government fees, I know of no way around them.

            Now, onto a subject near and dear to my heart. Saving money. Join multiple genealogy iscussion groups.
            There are thousands of people helping each other.

            1. There are many people doing "lookups" for free. Certain kind souls pay the fee to join a service, then offer to do a reasonable number of free lookups for others on the group when asked. They do it in their spare time. For example, I subscribe to ancestry.com immigration collection (only). As recently as today, I looked up a naturalization petion for someone in South Africa.

            2. Ask, ask, ask. Lots of people have already uncovered the
            "keys to the box" and know how/where to find the magic potions for free. Since every genealogy search is unique, it's nearly impossible to write a "cookbook" to get your answers. Also since the fall of communism, new records are becoming available almost daily. It's hard to keep up with it all.

            I suggest this list, and the delphi forum are two of the most useful. Forums and lists will cost you nothing to join. I've compiled a list of the most helpful groups here http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/networking.htm There are some very talented and knowledgeable people from all over the world on these forums. Most people are just waiting to be asked.

            You might also consider looking at my site, which attempts to focus peoples research strategy and provide references to free and accessible sites. It is non-commercial - I do this as a labor of love, in my free time. http://www.iabsi.com

            Bill

          • jump4toys@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
              HI..
              When I look it up on the geneology sites, it says the DATE of the death, and
              the place of death, and birthplace.
              My only thought is as I go along with hunting for more info.....is that for
              $28, there might not be any more info than that on the person. I would really
              like parents names, etc.
              IT's hard because these are immigrants who were born in Europe and died in
              the US, so the parents are from Eastern Europe, died in Eastern Europe.
              Would there be info on this person's SS form about his parents who never came
              to the USA?

              DAniel

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
                Look at the image on this link:
                http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ss5.html
                It is the actual application form. It will answer your questions.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
                  There are other places to obtain more information. I highly recommend requesting his/her immigration file. There are some extremely useful bits of info in there, even if s/he did not naturalize. Alien Registration form (page 1 shown here http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/history/ImmRecs/AR2front.html is extremely valuable)

                  See the background & procedure to request a copy which I wrote about here: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm

                  Bill Tarkulich

                • EMSCRS@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
                    In addition to the naturalization information, or whatever, you could also
                    try the Church where they married, or the marriage record (if they married
                    here). Failing that, possibly christening or burial records - death
                    certificates normally include the names of the parents of the deceased.

                    Elizabeth

                  • nhasior@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 19, 2005
                      Jump4,
                      did the ancestors you are interested in have any children in this country?
                      were the children baptized?
                      Noreen

                    • jump4toys@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 20, 2005
                        Hi...the children in this country were born in Czechoslovakia and migrated
                        here in the 20's, 30's, 40's. They're Jewish, there was no baptism.

                        Jump4