[S-R] Re: "ova" ending on female names

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2005
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
      > Thanks Frank,
      > You just answered many questions for me!
      > Now any thoughts why i see names like waculik would change to
      vaculik?
      > I have seen w change to v before, was there a reason?
      > Do you think pavlik and pawlik are the same name?
      > THANKS JENNIFER

      Jennifer

      In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letters q, w, x were used
      only in foreign words.
      The letter "v" pron. v was used.
      water = voda pron. voda
      Although Polish is a Slavic language the letter "w" is pron. as v.
      water = woda pron. voda
      While in German the letter "w" pron. v is used.
      water = wasser pron. vasser
      In German the letter "v" is mostly pron. f.
      father = vater pron. fahter

      In Slovakia the surname is spelled Vaculík and Vaculíková (fem.gender)

      However online Ellis Island Records (EIR) 26 surnames Vaculik and
      only 1 surname Waculik.
      As for ethnicity the majority of the surnames Vaculik were from
      Czech-Bohemia rather than from Hungary (Slovakia)

      The obligatory change of gender in Czech/Slovak for female surnames
      expressed through the ending -ová is interesting.
      The feminine surname affix -ova etymologically expresses possession -
      the status of the woman as belonging to her father or husband.

      July 7, 1993
      The National Council in Slovakia approved legislation allowing the use
      of foreign first names and surnames and allowing women to drop the
      Slavic suffix "-ova" from their surnames.

      And Czech women are also taking up a government offer to have the
      suffix'ova' removed from their surnames.
      If many take advantage of the change it would undo a linguistic
      tradition going back to the earliest roots of the Slav language.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Slavic

      Under the new law, women only have the option to drop the suffix when
      they get married and adopt their husband's name.
      They also have to tell the government they do not consider themselves
      to be of Czech nationality - but are under no obligation to provide
      evidence of why.

      The Prague Post reports the change is creating administrative
      problems.
      It quotes an unnamed Prague City Hall official saying: "It's been a
      complete mess here. Of course they ask for it because a lot of them
      want to go abroad. Others just want it that way."

      Newlywed Bohdana Kozusnikova became one of the first to drop the 'ova'
      when she signed her marriage certificate.
      She chose to become Bohdana Doig instead of the conventional Bohdana
      Doigova.
      The couple plan to move to the US and feel the last name will make
      life easier to have the same name. She said: "I picked Doig because
      it'll be cool for the kids when we have them."

      The Praha telephone directory lists 3 surnames Kozusnikova and 7
      surnames Kozusnik.

      Frank K

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2005
        As you change from one language to another, the letters emit different
        sounds. I.e., "W" sounds like a "V", so to make it sound the same in the
        new language..... so it goes....

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        > You just answered many questions for me!
        > Now any thoughts why i see names like waculik would change to
        vaculik?
        > I have seen w change to v before, was there a reason?
        > Do you think pavlik and pawlik are the same name?
        > THANKS JENNIFER

        Jennifer

        In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letters q, w, x were used
        only in foreign words.
        The letter "v" pron. v was used.
        water = voda pron. voda
        Although Polish is a Slavic language the letter "w" is pron. as v. water =
        woda pron. voda While in German the letter "w" pron. v is used. water =
        wasser pron. vasser In German the letter "v" is mostly pron. f. father =
        vater pron. fahter

        In Slovakia the surname is spelled Vaculík and Vaculíková (fem.gender)

        However online Ellis Island Records (EIR) 26 surnames Vaculik and
        only 1 surname Waculik.
        As for ethnicity the majority of the surnames Vaculik were from
        Czech-Bohemia rather than from Hungary (Slovakia)

        The obligatory change of gender in Czech/Slovak for female surnames
        expressed through the ending -ová is interesting. The feminine surname affix
        -ova etymologically expresses possession - the status of the woman as
        belonging to her father or husband.

        July 7, 1993
        The National Council in Slovakia approved legislation allowing the use of
        foreign first names and surnames and allowing women to drop the Slavic
        suffix "-ova" from their surnames.

        And Czech women are also taking up a government offer to have the
        suffix'ova' removed from their surnames.
        If many take advantage of the change it would undo a linguistic tradition
        going back to the earliest roots of the Slav language.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Slavic

        Under the new law, women only have the option to drop the suffix when they
        get married and adopt their husband's name. They also have to tell the
        government they do not consider themselves
        to be of Czech nationality - but are under no obligation to provide
        evidence of why.

        The Prague Post reports the change is creating administrative
        problems.
        It quotes an unnamed Prague City Hall official saying: "It's been a complete
        mess here. Of course they ask for it because a lot of them
        want to go abroad. Others just want it that way."

        Newlywed Bohdana Kozusnikova became one of the first to drop the 'ova' when
        she signed her marriage certificate. She chose to become Bohdana Doig
        instead of the conventional Bohdana Doigova. The couple plan to move to the
        US and feel the last name will make
        life easier to have the same name. She said: "I picked Doig because
        it'll be cool for the kids when we have them."

        The Praha telephone directory lists 3 surnames Kozusnikova and 7 surnames
        Kozusnik.

        Frank K

        Yahoo! Groups Links