Re: [S-R] (no subject)

  • Meg-n-andysmom@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 15, 2005
      You need to go to the website to do this. Click on edit my membership at the top right corner and choose unsubscribe or look at the bottom for the un-subscribe link line in any of of the group messages.

      Janet

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 15, 2006
        If this is all you know I would give up :-)
        Vladimir

        If you want somebody to help you then you must present everything you know in nice order. This will prevent too many questions in the beginning.
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
          I whole heartedly agree with Vladimir. More content, more surrounding facts
          are necessary in order to sort this out. Obviously certain people who wrote
          these names were confused, but we know not which ones.

          Tell us more about Mike - birth year, immigration year, language spoken,
          destination, religion, surnames of children, where married & when. What
          ethnicity did he describe himself as? Friends? What documents do you
          have? What was the source of each country you reference?

          Bill

          Ok have a problem!! I have the following info on family and not sure
          where
          to look. They family has Austria- Hungary- on one paper and Austria on
          the
          naturalization paper. Then there is Poland for the son then there is
          Slovakia
          then I have Czechoslovakia. All for Demeter ( Mike) Cikos/Chicos. AND I
          wonder why I am hitting brick walls or going nuts!!
          Ruth Mesarch

          genealogy
          Family vacations Genealogy family tree

          Service.

          http://www.eset.sk

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Dolores Glade
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006

            > I whole heartedly agree with Vladimir. More
            > content, more surrounding facts
            > are necessary in order to sort this out. Obviously
            > certain people who wrote
            > these names were confused, but we know not which
            > ones.
            >
            > Tell us more about Mike - birth year, immigration
            > year, language spoken,
            > destination, religion, surnames of children, where
            > married & when. What
            > ethnicity did he describe himself as? Friends?
            > What documents do you
            > have? What was the source of each country you
            > reference?
            >
            > Bill

            My grandmother's maiden name was Demeter and she came
            from the Austrian Hungarian Empire part which is now
            Slovakia. If I can be of any more help, let me know.

            Dee G.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 16, 2006
              Dolores sent more info privately:

              Essential snippet:
              ----------------
              Michael ( Mitro "Demeter") Cikos' (Chicos what is used now)
              Born =Nov 2,2875 Kurove, Bardejov, Na Slovabsku Ceskoslovensku
              Died= May 11,1965 Ind:

              Wife= Maria ( Mary ) Lukach
              Born =Oct 12, 1877 Czechoslovakia
              Died = Dec 7 ,1953 Chicago Ill. hospital

              John Chicos =Born Oct 28,1901 In Poland is what his Army paper says.
              Died April 16,1976

              I have a baptismal paper for Demeter Cikos. It is a copy. Also have a copy
              pf Szuletesi anyakonyvi kivonat. can't find a date and I can't read it.
              Then a Naturalization paper, which is a copy.

              --------------------

              Scan what you can't read, we can figure it out.

              It looks like Mitro was born in Kurov, in the province of Bardejov, in
              present-day Slovakia.

              The Mormons have filmed the church records which include periods of
              immigration for these people. http://tinyurl.com/oz4hp

              Scan the baptismal certificate, I'll have a look. The language is not lost.
              It's written in Magyar (Hungarian) but pretty easy to decipher. We do it
              all the time.

              Kurov is only about 4 km south of the Poland border. Sections of this
              border changed back and forth over the years, or possibly they were working
              in Poland when the child was born.

              I will post this information on the discussion group for all to see.

              Don't have enough info to comment on the wife.
              Did they become naturalized citizens? The INS/BCIS files are a good place
              to check for birthplace.

              Here is a map. http://tinyurl.com/magpf you will see a road (now closed)
              going straight into Poland.

              Bill

              > I whole heartedly agree with Vladimir. More
              > content, more surrounding facts
              > are necessary in order to sort this out. Obviously
              > certain people who wrote
              > these names were confused, but we know not which
              > ones.
              >
              > Tell us more about Mike - birth year, immigration
              > year, language spoken,
              > destination, religion, surnames of children, where
              > married & when. What
              > ethnicity did he describe himself as? Friends?
              > What documents do you
              > have? What was the source of each country you
              > reference?
              >
              > Bill

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 20, 2006
                On the Great Lakes I would suspect that they came in through Canada. Do you
                have any idea which year, approximately?

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Aah Ruth,
                  Istvan is Stefan or Stephen
                  Katalin is Katarina or Cathy