Re: [S-R] Re: "ova" ending on female names

  • bemimitwo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15 2:00 PM
      Thanks Frank,
      You just answered many questions for me!
      Now any thoughts why i see names like waculik would change to vaculik?
      I have seen w change to v before, was there a reason?
      Do you think pavlik and pawlik are the same name?
      THANKS JENNIFER

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15 2:05 PM
        Jennifer -- here's a W/V example from my family
        history:

        The Surname WARGUSKA -- was spelled VARGUSKA as well
        -- probably because that is how it is pronounced. I
        believe some of the better linguistically experienced
        of the group can confirm, but I suspect that is
        because the W in (Hungarian/Slovak/etc.) probably
        sounds more like our V over here.

        But if I am wrong, they can point that out as well.

        Caye

        --- bemimitwo@... wrote:
        > Thanks Frank,
        > You just answered many questions for me!
        > Now any thoughts why i see names like waculik would
        > change to vaculik?
        > I have seen w change to v before, was there a
        > reason?
        > Do you think pavlik and pawlik are the same name?
        > THANKS JENNIFER

        > removed]

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16 7:53 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
          > Thanks Frank,
          > You just answered many questions for me!
          > Now any thoughts why i see names like waculik would change to
          vaculik?
          > I have seen w change to v before, was there a reason?
          > Do you think pavlik and pawlik are the same name?
          > THANKS JENNIFER

          Jennifer

          In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letters q, w, x were used
          only in foreign words.
          The letter "v" pron. v was used.
          water = voda pron. voda
          Although Polish is a Slavic language the letter "w" is pron. as v.
          water = woda pron. voda
          While in German the letter "w" pron. v is used.
          water = wasser pron. vasser
          In German the letter "v" is mostly pron. f.
          father = vater pron. fahter

          In Slovakia the surname is spelled Vaculík and Vaculíková (fem.gender)

          However online Ellis Island Records (EIR) 26 surnames Vaculik and
          only 1 surname Waculik.
          As for ethnicity the majority of the surnames Vaculik were from
          Czech-Bohemia rather than from Hungary (Slovakia)

          The obligatory change of gender in Czech/Slovak for female surnames
          expressed through the ending -ová is interesting.
          The feminine surname affix -ova etymologically expresses possession -
          the status of the woman as belonging to her father or husband.

          July 7, 1993
          The National Council in Slovakia approved legislation allowing the use
          of foreign first names and surnames and allowing women to drop the
          Slavic suffix "-ova" from their surnames.

          And Czech women are also taking up a government offer to have the
          suffix'ova' removed from their surnames.
          If many take advantage of the change it would undo a linguistic
          tradition going back to the earliest roots of the Slav language.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Slavic

          Under the new law, women only have the option to drop the suffix when
          they get married and adopt their husband's name.
          They also have to tell the government they do not consider themselves
          to be of Czech nationality - but are under no obligation to provide
          evidence of why.

          The Prague Post reports the change is creating administrative
          problems.
          It quotes an unnamed Prague City Hall official saying: "It's been a
          complete mess here. Of course they ask for it because a lot of them
          want to go abroad. Others just want it that way."

          Newlywed Bohdana Kozusnikova became one of the first to drop the 'ova'
          when she signed her marriage certificate.
          She chose to become Bohdana Doig instead of the conventional Bohdana
          Doigova.
          The couple plan to move to the US and feel the last name will make
          life easier to have the same name. She said: "I picked Doig because
          it'll be cool for the kids when we have them."

          The Praha telephone directory lists 3 surnames Kozusnikova and 7
          surnames Kozusnik.

          Frank K

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 16 9:23 AM
            As you change from one language to another, the letters emit different
            sounds. I.e., "W" sounds like a "V", so to make it sound the same in the
            new language..... so it goes....

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            > You just answered many questions for me!
            > Now any thoughts why i see names like waculik would change to
            vaculik?
            > I have seen w change to v before, was there a reason?
            > Do you think pavlik and pawlik are the same name?
            > THANKS JENNIFER

            Jennifer

            In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letters q, w, x were used
            only in foreign words.
            The letter "v" pron. v was used.
            water = voda pron. voda
            Although Polish is a Slavic language the letter "w" is pron. as v. water =
            woda pron. voda While in German the letter "w" pron. v is used. water =
            wasser pron. vasser In German the letter "v" is mostly pron. f. father =
            vater pron. fahter

            In Slovakia the surname is spelled Vaculík and Vaculíková (fem.gender)

            However online Ellis Island Records (EIR) 26 surnames Vaculik and
            only 1 surname Waculik.
            As for ethnicity the majority of the surnames Vaculik were from
            Czech-Bohemia rather than from Hungary (Slovakia)

            The obligatory change of gender in Czech/Slovak for female surnames
            expressed through the ending -ová is interesting. The feminine surname affix
            -ova etymologically expresses possession - the status of the woman as
            belonging to her father or husband.

            July 7, 1993
            The National Council in Slovakia approved legislation allowing the use of
            foreign first names and surnames and allowing women to drop the Slavic
            suffix "-ova" from their surnames.

            And Czech women are also taking up a government offer to have the
            suffix'ova' removed from their surnames.
            If many take advantage of the change it would undo a linguistic tradition
            going back to the earliest roots of the Slav language.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Slavic

            Under the new law, women only have the option to drop the suffix when they
            get married and adopt their husband's name. They also have to tell the
            government they do not consider themselves
            to be of Czech nationality - but are under no obligation to provide
            evidence of why.

            The Prague Post reports the change is creating administrative
            problems.
            It quotes an unnamed Prague City Hall official saying: "It's been a complete
            mess here. Of course they ask for it because a lot of them
            want to go abroad. Others just want it that way."

            Newlywed Bohdana Kozusnikova became one of the first to drop the 'ova' when
            she signed her marriage certificate. She chose to become Bohdana Doig
            instead of the conventional Bohdana Doigova. The couple plan to move to the
            US and feel the last name will make
            life easier to have the same name. She said: "I picked Doig because
            it'll be cool for the kids when we have them."

            The Praha telephone directory lists 3 surnames Kozusnikova and 7 surnames
            Kozusnik.

            Frank K

            Yahoo! Groups Links