Re: [S-R] Help, please

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 15 1:20 PM
      Pat, I ran the town names thru this database (and you
      can too):

      http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html

      I found one hit for your grandfather's town and 15 for
      your grandmother's. Neither of them showed up, but
      you might recognize something that I did not.

      I'd suggest you check the church records in Linesville
      and maybe the obituaries and funeral home records to
      see if they show anything more, that is assuming you
      know where they went to church and which funeral home
      was used. Census records are usually of help as well.
      If they were married in Pittsburgh, you can probably
      find their marriage license through the county and
      then you'll know the church and can check those
      records as well. That would be just the tip of the
      iceburg, but good places to start.

      Welcome and we look forward to assisting you.

      Caye

      --- Pat Watkins <partygator@...> wrote:
      > I have just joined this group because I cannot find
      > any information about
      > my grandfather or grandmother who immigrated to the
      > US on January 27,
      > 1901. They came to New York, but I can find nothing
      > on the Ellis Island
      > (or other New York ports of entry) website that
      > mentions their names. I
      > know they came from the Czechoslovakia part of the
      > world. In my
      > grandfather's handwriting, I have the information
      > above plus the towns and
      > counties where they each were from: my grandfather
      > is from county Nitroe,
      > town Steruse. He was born October 13, 1881. My
      > grandmother is from county
      > Zemplin, town Udavske. She was born June 24, 1886.
      > They both came to the
      > US on the same date, but were not married to each
      > other at that time (so I
      > have been told). My grandfather's name is John
      > Joseph (or Joseph John--not
      > sure because he was called JJ) Kuban. My
      > grandmother's name is Mary Susan
      > Krajnik. I feel certain that the correct "old
      > world" spellings are
      > different. They lived in Pittsburgh, PA for some
      > years, then moved to
      > Linesville, PA where they each died, though several
      > years apart.
      >
      > ANY help would be very much appreciated.
      >
      > Please respond to partygator@...
      >
      > Thanks, Pat
      > Release Date: 4/14/2005

      > removed]

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 15 2:57 PM
        In the modern road atlas;
        Sterusy is on Highway 502, 4 km south of Vrbove. The nearest large city is Piestany. Sterusy is due west of it, about 10 km. Piestany is on Highway D61/E75 which leaves Bratislava going NE.
        Udavske is all the way on the other side of Slovakia. It is 2 km off of Highway 559 which goes north out of Humenne. It is about 5 km from Humenne.
        Michael Mojher

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 15 11:45 PM
          Dear Pat,
          On the Kuban line no research will be needed.I just recently completed the Kuban family research in Sterusy and will put you in contact with your cousin living in the States. You have a great Family Tree! Vary large indeed.
          Please, contact me directly.
          With best regards,

          Vladimir Bohinc
          Professional Genealogist
          KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
          Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
          e-mail: konekta@...
          web page: www.konekta.sk

[...]

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Pat Watkins
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 16 6:40 AM
            Wow!!!! I definitely will contact you.

            Thanks, Pat
            ************
            At 02:45 AM 4/16/2005, you wrote:

            >Dear Pat,
            >On the Kuban line no research will be needed.I just recently completed the
            >Kuban family research in Sterusy and will put you in contact with your
            >cousin living in the States. You have a great Family Tree! Vary large indeed.
            >Please, contact me directly.
            >With best regards,
            >
            >Vladimir Bohinc
            >Professional Genealogist
            >KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
            >Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
            >e-mail: konekta@...
            >web page: www.konekta.sk

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17 12:18 AM
              Dear Pat,
              I was very happy when I found your connection and was expecting you to contact me.
              However, the whole thing seems to be too good to be true, so I am still waiting for your mail.
              Is it possible,that you have some second thoughts?
              I said, no research will be needed, which means, there will be no charge. Is this suspicious?
              Should I better charge?
              Please, help me understand this.
              With best regards,
              Vladimir Bohinc

              PS
              This group is very old and we all know each other for years. Only honest people.
              >On the Kuban line no research will be needed.I just recently completed the
              >Kuban family research in Sterusy and will put you in contact with your
              >cousin living in the States. You have a great Family Tree! Vary large indeed.
              >Please, contact me directly.
              >With best regards,
              >
              >Vladimir Bohinc
              >Professional Genealogist
              >KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
              >Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
              >e-mail: konekta@...
              >web page: www.konekta.sk

              http://www.eset.sk

            • Jan Ammann
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 17 2:24 PM
                Hello Vladimir...........I have some Kubans in my maternal side of the family.......so I think I will jump in here. My great-great grandparents emigrated from Wall Meseritsch (also says on there Karlovitza) in 1884.....There were John Podesva and his wife Mary Vasut with their children....they settled in Wharton County, Texas in a small community known as Taiton.

                In the early 1900's part of this family married into the Kuban family.........Frank Kuban married Stephanie Podesva. They moved up to the Fort Worth area of Texas and had children....one being a nun named Sister Martha........Anyway, I probably should post this on the Czech list but I know a lot of these families co-mingled and who knows or could pinpoint every relatives who married into the family.

                But I really know very little about the Kubans.........

                Cheers,Jan

                http://www.eset.sk

              • Dr. Joe Q.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 17 9:12 PM
                  Dear Pat,

                  You are dealing with a reputable person here - - - remember
                  Diogenes??, well you have found an honest man!

                  Dr. "Q"

                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 18 3:01 AM
                    At 12:12 PM 18/04/2005, you wrote:

                    >Dear Pat,
                    >
                    >You are dealing with a reputable person here - - - remember
                    >Diogenes??, well you have found an honest man!
                    >
                    >Dr. "Q"

                    I'll second that.
                    Nick

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 18 6:29 AM
                      I'll third that! Not only is he extremely knowledgeable and accurate, but very generous with his time and talent.
                      Bill T

                      > From: Nick Holcz <nickh@...>
                      > Date: 2005/04/18 Mon AM 06:01:24 EDT
                      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Help, please
                      >

                      > At 12:12 PM 18/04/2005, you wrote:
                      >
                      > >Dear Pat,
                      > >
                      > >You are dealing with a reputable person here - - - remember
                      > >Diogenes??, well you have found an honest man!
                      > >
                      > >Dr. "Q"
                      >
                      > I'll second that.
                      > Nick
                      >

                      > >Vladimir Bohinc wrote:
                      > >
                      > > >Dear Pat,
                      > > >I was very happy when I found your connection and was expecting you to
                      > > contact me.
                      > > >However, the whole thing seems to be too good to be true, so I am still
                      > > waiting for your mail.
                      > > >Is it possible,that you have some second thoughts?
                      > > >I said, no research will be needed, which means, there will be no
                      > > charge. Is this suspicious?
                      > > >Should I better charge?
                      > > >Please, help me understand this.
                      > > >With best regards,
                      > > >Vladimir Bohinc
                      > > >
                      > > >PS
                      > > >This group is very old and we all know each other for years. Only honest
                      > > people.

                    • Pat Watkins
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 27 3:59 PM
                        Mr. Bohinc--

                        I have been sending you e-mails at your e-mail address
                        (konekta@...). Have you been receiving them?

                        Thanks, Pat