Re: "ova" ending on female names

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2005
      >Dear Sue,
      >This ova endings were officially introduced after the WW1, when the
      Czech administration took over the matters.
      >Here and there you can find them before that time. I take it as a
      Czech influence. Such influence can be seen in areas close to
      >the chech borders, where the czech educated priest or a czechofile
      began to write ova , or Jiri for Juraj.
      >Personally I do not like such Slovak name changes ( by the Czech and
      Hungarians) and always use original Slovak names.
      >In my FTM I never use ova ending, because this ending displaces my
      persons on the list and I may miss one.
      >This ova ending was imposed and there are people who don't like it
      and I think I already read, that it is not madatory any
      >more or it will be lifted in the next future.My wife does not have
      such an ending, and for long time she was receiving mail from
      >Reader's Digest with her name written Mr. Olga Bohinc. This shows,
      how narrow minded some people are:-) ( if there is not
      >ova, the person must be a man - named Olga ?)
      >It also makes some surnames absolutely ridiculous, like male
      surname: Nejeschleba ( You are not eating bread !) turn to
      > Nejeschlebova, which is a nonsense combination.
      >There are many such cases, but it's early in the morning and I don't
      have them in my head now.
      >When referring to foreign persons in the press, they also change
      their names and add ova, and there was already writing about
      >this nonsense and some of those foreign persons have complained why
      the slovak state allows such name changes.
      >A nice example are names from Island, which end with .. dottir, wrich
      signifies, that this person is a daughter of somebody.
      >Now, our Slovaks have changed such a name to .. dottirova, which is a
      double what ??
      > This practice is all wrong and should be abolished.
      > Vladimir

      Dear Vladimir,

      Believe your description of the use of the Slavic feminine gender
      affix -ova may be "politically correct" but was neither historical nor
      liguistically correct.

      When a Hungarian woman marries she loses her given name because she is
      called "the wife of husband's name".
      In Hungarian by adding affix " né " to name of her husband.
      Hence, Mrs. John Nagy would be Nagy Ja'nosné.

      In some cultures like Hungarian,the family name is actually placed
      before the given names.
      Hungarian English
      Nagy János John Nagy (actually Nagy= big)
      Kovács Mária Mary Smith
      So such terms like "first name" and "last name" carry opposite
      meanings when used outside of English speaking cultures.

      Terms Junior, ifjú (Jr,,ifj.) and Senior , ido"sebb (Sr., id.) are put
      before the surnames in abbrev. and lower case forms.
      ifj. Nagy János John Nagy, Jr.

      The equivalent of Mrs. is the Hungarian né (wife) which is added to a
      husband's name.
      Hence, Mrs. John Smith would be Kovács Jánosné.
      The wife of John Smith, Sr. would be id. Kovács Jánosné.

      A widow, özvegy, could use the abbrev. özv. or ö. before the surname
      of her husband ö. Nagy Jánosné Mrs. John Nagy, widow.

      Hungarian noble women used titles. The unmarried daughter of Count
      John Nagy added no" (woman) to gróf (count) and place it after her
      given name.
      Nagy Mária grófno" Countess Mary Nagy

      The wife of a count used gröfné (countess, married woman)
      Nagy Jánosné gröfné

      Hungarian is a language completely unrelated to any Slavic or
      Germanic languages.
      Hungarian language doesn't use declensions and uses complex
      relationships expressed by numerous agglutinative (i.e., to glue
      together) suffixes and prefixes attached to root words which
      themselves don't change.
      There is no grammatical gender in Hungarian.

      In Indo-European languages, genders typically include feminine,
      masculine and neuter.

      The Finno-Ugric languages, Hungarian, Finnish, Turkish, and Estonian
      are gender-free languages.

      asszony wife, woman
      férjes asszony married woman
      férjezett married,married woman
      feleség wife
      felesége wife of
      no" woman, wife
      no"s married

      One of most common Slavic surname affixes is the one denoting gender
      of the bearer -ová (Slovak), -owa (Polish), and -oba (Russian).
      (Russians have three names : surname, first name and patronymic-
      which tells us the first name of the person's father)

      As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská, or -ová.
      The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
      of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
      If the surname is adjectival in origin , i.e., ends in -y', the ending
      changes to -á, so that wife of pán (Mr.) C^erny' would be pani (pi)
      (Mrs.) C^erná and their daughter would be slec^na (sl) (Miss) C^erná
      If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to it,
      e.g., pán Kovác^, pani Kovác^ová, slec^na Kovác^ová.

      Czechs do have some unusual surnames.
      Kratochvil meaning "an amusing man".
      Zlamaljelito meaning "he broke the black pudding".
      Stojespal meaning "he slept standing".

      Frank K