Re: [S-R] "ova" ending on female names

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14, 2005
      Dear Sue,
      This ova endings were officially introduced after the WW1, when the Czech administration took over the matters.
      Here and there you can find them before that time. I take it as a Czech influence. Such influence can be seen in areas close to the chech borders, where the czech educated priest or a czechofile began to write ova , or Jiri for Juraj.
      Personally I do not like such Slovak name changes ( by the Czech and Hungarians) and always use original Slovak names.
      In my FTM I never use ova ending, because this ending displaces my persons on the list and I may miss one.
      This ova ending was imposed and there are people who don't like it and I think I already read, that it is not madatory any more or it will be lifted in the next future.My wife does not have such an ending, and for long time she was receiving mail from Reader's Digest with her name written Mr. Olga Bohinc. This shows, how narrow minded some people are:-) ( if there is not ova, the person must be a man - named Olga ?)
      It also makes some surnames absolutely ridiculous, like
      A male surname: Nejeschleba ( You are not eating bread !) turn to Nejeschlebova, which is a nonsense combination.
      There are many such cases, but it's early in the morning and I don't have them in my head now.
      When referring to foreign persons in the press, they also change their names and add ova, and there was already writing about this nonsense and some of those foreign persons have complained why the slovak state allows such name changes.
      A nice example are names from Island, which end with .. dottir, wrich signifies, that this person is a daughter of somebody.
      Now, our Slovaks have changed such a name to .. dottirova, which is a double what ??
      This practice is all wrong and should be abolished.
      Vladimir

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
          different ethnic groups have different ways how to say who somebody is.
          One has to distinguish, how someone is "called" and how his name is officially written. This ka ending for females is typical for several slavic languages. In slovak or in slovenian and if I am not mistaking also in croatian you can call a woman, whose husband has a name Bednar, a Bednarka, for example. This ka at the end can have several meanings;
          - it can be used for telling of whom she is
          - it can be used as diminutive like Maria to Mariska
          - it ca be used as a derogative too.( with the surname)
          More often than not, this form is used when you talk about a person, which is not present, but would seldome address this person in this way ( I mean surname with ka) directly.
          This is something one has to learn gradually and be careful with.
          But it also depends upon local customs.
          What you write below surely is typical Rusyn, but probably not exclusively Rusyn.
          Vladimir

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
            I have just joined this group because I cannot find any information about
            my grandfather or grandmother who immigrated to the US on January 27,
            1901. They came to New York, but I can find nothing on the Ellis Island
            (or other New York ports of entry) website that mentions their names. I
            know they came from the Czechoslovakia part of the world. In my
            grandfather's handwriting, I have the information above plus the towns and
            counties where they each were from: my grandfather is from county Nitroe,
            town Steruse. He was born October 13, 1881. My grandmother is from county
            Zemplin, town Udavske. She was born June 24, 1886. They both came to the
            US on the same date, but were not married to each other at that time (so I
            have been told). My grandfather's name is John Joseph (or Joseph John--not
            sure because he was called JJ) Kuban. My grandmother's name is Mary Susan
            Krajnik. I feel certain that the correct "old world" spellings are
            different. They lived in Pittsburgh, PA for some years, then moved to
            Linesville, PA where they each died, though several years apart.

            ANY help would be very much appreciated.

            Please respond to partygator@...

            Thanks, Pat

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
              Welcome to a great new hobby You have a lot more information
              available than you realize.

              Sterusz, Nyitra Megye = county, now S'terusy, Slovakia. Locate it on
              the old 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg
              in the pink area, west side of map, near Verbo.

              Udavské, Slovakia; formerly Udva, Zemplén, Hungary. Locate it on
              the old 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg
              Look for Udva in the green area, cdnter map, northeast of Homonna,
              where the Laborec river splits off to the right.

              CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
              get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
              will likely find in church records.

              CURRENT MAP

              ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

              Nyitra and Zemplen counties are across the country from each other
              and so I support the fact that grandparents were NOT married in
              Slovakia.

              The important FACT that you have not specified is their religion.
              Assuming RC.

              CENTER (FHC)

              LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
              deaths for Udavské, Slovakia; formerly Udva, Zemplén, Hungary.

              Krstení 1730-1743 Zomrelí 1727-1755 Sobášení 1728-1752 Krstení 1781-
              1793 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794064 Items 2-3 ]

              Krstení 1794-1820 Zomrelí 1781-1820 Sobášení 1781-1820 Krstení 1821-
              1843 Zomrelí 1821-1843 Sobášení 1821-1843 Krstení 1844-1851, 1854-
              1889 Sobášení 1854-1889 Zomrelí 1854-1889 Krstení 1889-1894 - FHL
              INTL Film [ 1794065 ]

              Krstení 1894-1895 Sobášení 1889-1895 Zomrelí 1889-1895 . DRUHOPIS
              MATRIKÝ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1882-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
              1794352 Items 1-3 ]

              Though Western Slovakia church records have been filmed by the
              Mormons, those films are still to be indexed and there is no timing
              set for that activity. Those church records are currently available
              (only) in the Slovak Archives. That means you have to wait for
              Sterusz, Nyitra Megye church records.

              HOWEVER, you can get the very imformative 1869 Hungarian Census film
              at LDS.

              Sterusz (Šterusy) VAULT INTL Film 2185563 Item 4
              Udva (Udvaské) -- Újcsanálos FHL INTL Film 720016

              BASIC RESEARCH HELP
              For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
              site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

              Ps: some accented characters may not have reproduced correctly.
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005
                Wow!!! Did you ever get lucky.

                The part of your family tree that only has records available in the
                Slovak archives has been completed by a professional genealogist and
                the church records for the other branch are widely available for local
                research at the LDs Family History Center.

                It just doesn't get any better . . .
              • Pat Watkins
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
                  Hello Mr. John Q Adam:

                  You sent me a real boatload of information about
                  research sites way back in April, 2005 (via the
                  SR) site. I certainly thank you for the help. I
                  do admit, though, I was more than confused and
                  extremely intimidated about the entire project
                  and have been one of those "lurkers" on the SR
                  site. I have, however, gleaned a wealth of
                  information during the lurking time and now feel
                  somewhat more confident about what to seek when I
                  go to my local LDS family history center and a
                  little more knowledgeable about what information
                  I need and what information is a "nice to have"
                  bit. For this I thank you and, having said the
                  above, I will now dive in head first and hope for the best.

                  Pat

                  Pat, Lane and Jesse