Re: [S-R] "ova" ending on female names

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14, 2005
      It's a matter of what language is used for recording. If the Slovak language is used, OVA is the most common feminine suffix, although SKA, and CHA are sometimes seen. Slovak language is most often used after 1918, so you want to examine the dates of these records.
      Bill

      > From: "sueroecker" <sueroecker@...>
      > Date: 2005/04/14 Thu PM 02:40:58 EDT
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] "ova" ending on female names
      >

      > I've located baptismal, marriage and death records for my ancestors via
      > the LDS microfilms and had a question regarding the feminine ending on
      > surnames. I've seen a lot of "ova" endings for my evangelical Lutheran
      > ancestors from Mokroluh, Lukavica and Bardejov, (Holpitova, Hrivnakova,
      > etc...) but on the records for my Greek Catholic ancestors from Dacov,
      > I haven't seen this ending used (for example Soltesz and Jurcsenko).
      > Is there a particular reason? Do all feminine surnames in present day
      > Slovakia have the "ova" ending?
      > Sue Roecker

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 14, 2005
        Thanks for explaining that Bill, I 'just knew' it was
        of this century and not before -- as my grandmother
        never referred to herself as ova -- but the cousins
        back in Slovakia do.

        Caye

        > It's a matter of what language is used for
        > recording. If the Slovak language is used, OVA is
        > the most common feminine suffix, although SKA, and
        > CHA are sometimes seen. Slovak language is most
        > often used after 1918, so you want to examine the
        > dates of these records.
        > Bill
        >

        > > From: "sueroecker" <sueroecker@...>
        > > Date: 2005/04/14 Thu PM 02:40:58 EDT
        > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: [S-R] "ova" ending on female names
        > >

        > > I've located baptismal, marriage and death records
        > for my ancestors via
        > > the LDS microfilms and had a question regarding
        > the feminine ending on
        > > surnames. I've seen a lot of "ova" endings for my
        > evangelical Lutheran
        > > ancestors from Mokroluh, Lukavica and Bardejov,
        > (Holpitova, Hrivnakova,
        > > etc...) but on the records for my Greek Catholic
        > ancestors from Dacov,
        > > I haven't seen this ending used (for example
        > Soltesz and Jurcsenko).
        > > Is there a particular reason? Do all feminine
        > surnames in present day
        > > Slovakia have the "ova" ending?
        > > Sue Roecker

        > send blank email to
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Richard D. Custer
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 14, 2005
          Generally speaking, Rusyns never used the "-ova" feminine surname ending until they came under Czechoslovak rule in 1919-1920.

          Whether the Greek Catholic inhabitants of Dacov considered themselves Rusyns back then (I'm sure some did) or not, probably they were not accustomed to the "-ova" ending until that time either.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 14, 2005
            Dear Sue,
            This ova endings were officially introduced after the WW1, when the Czech administration took over the matters.
            Here and there you can find them before that time. I take it as a Czech influence. Such influence can be seen in areas close to the chech borders, where the czech educated priest or a czechofile began to write ova , or Jiri for Juraj.
            Personally I do not like such Slovak name changes ( by the Czech and Hungarians) and always use original Slovak names.
            In my FTM I never use ova ending, because this ending displaces my persons on the list and I may miss one.
            This ova ending was imposed and there are people who don't like it and I think I already read, that it is not madatory any more or it will be lifted in the next future.My wife does not have such an ending, and for long time she was receiving mail from Reader's Digest with her name written Mr. Olga Bohinc. This shows, how narrow minded some people are:-) ( if there is not ova, the person must be a man - named Olga ?)
            It also makes some surnames absolutely ridiculous, like
            A male surname: Nejeschleba ( You are not eating bread !) turn to Nejeschlebova, which is a nonsense combination.
            There are many such cases, but it's early in the morning and I don't have them in my head now.
            When referring to foreign persons in the press, they also change their names and add ova, and there was already writing about this nonsense and some of those foreign persons have complained why the slovak state allows such name changes.
            A nice example are names from Island, which end with .. dottir, wrich signifies, that this person is a daughter of somebody.
            Now, our Slovaks have changed such a name to .. dottirova, which is a double what ??
            This practice is all wrong and should be abolished.
            Vladimir

            I've located baptismal, marriage and death records for my ancestors via
            the LDS microfilms and had a question regarding the feminine ending on
            surnames. I've seen a lot of "ova" endings for my evangelical Lutheran
            ancestors from Mokroluh, Lukavica and Bardejov, (Holpitova, Hrivnakova,
            etc...) but on the records for my Greek Catholic ancestors from Dacov,
            I haven't seen this ending used (for example Soltesz and Jurcsenko).
            Is there a particular reason? Do all feminine surnames in present day
            Slovakia have the "ova" ending?
            Sue Roecker

            http://www.eset.sk

          • christopher gajda

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
                different ethnic groups have different ways how to say who somebody is.
                One has to distinguish, how someone is "called" and how his name is officially written. This ka ending for females is typical for several slavic languages. In slovak or in slovenian and if I am not mistaking also in croatian you can call a woman, whose husband has a name Bednar, a Bednarka, for example. This ka at the end can have several meanings;
                - it can be used for telling of whom she is
                - it can be used as diminutive like Maria to Mariska
                - it ca be used as a derogative too.( with the surname)
                More often than not, this form is used when you talk about a person, which is not present, but would seldome address this person in this way ( I mean surname with ka) directly.
                This is something one has to learn gradually and be careful with.
                But it also depends upon local customs.
                What you write below surely is typical Rusyn, but probably not exclusively Rusyn.
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
                  I have just joined this group because I cannot find any information about
                  my grandfather or grandmother who immigrated to the US on January 27,
                  1901. They came to New York, but I can find nothing on the Ellis Island
                  (or other New York ports of entry) website that mentions their names. I
                  know they came from the Czechoslovakia part of the world. In my
                  grandfather's handwriting, I have the information above plus the towns and
                  counties where they each were from: my grandfather is from county Nitroe,
                  town Steruse. He was born October 13, 1881. My grandmother is from county
                  Zemplin, town Udavske. She was born June 24, 1886. They both came to the
                  US on the same date, but were not married to each other at that time (so I
                  have been told). My grandfather's name is John Joseph (or Joseph John--not
                  sure because he was called JJ) Kuban. My grandmother's name is Mary Susan
                  Krajnik. I feel certain that the correct "old world" spellings are
                  different. They lived in Pittsburgh, PA for some years, then moved to
                  Linesville, PA where they each died, though several years apart.

                  ANY help would be very much appreciated.

                  Please respond to partygator@...

                  Thanks, Pat

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
                    Welcome to a great new hobby You have a lot more information
                    available than you realize.

                    Sterusz, Nyitra Megye = county, now S'terusy, Slovakia. Locate it on
                    the old 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg
                    in the pink area, west side of map, near Verbo.

                    Udavské, Slovakia; formerly Udva, Zemplén, Hungary. Locate it on
                    the old 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg
                    Look for Udva in the green area, cdnter map, northeast of Homonna,
                    where the Laborec river splits off to the right.

                    CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                    get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
                    will likely find in church records.

                    CURRENT MAP

                    ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

                    Nyitra and Zemplen counties are across the country from each other
                    and so I support the fact that grandparents were NOT married in
                    Slovakia.

                    The important FACT that you have not specified is their religion.
                    Assuming RC.

                    CENTER (FHC)

                    LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                    deaths for Udavské, Slovakia; formerly Udva, Zemplén, Hungary.

                    Krstení 1730-1743 Zomrelí 1727-1755 Sobášení 1728-1752 Krstení 1781-
                    1793 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794064 Items 2-3 ]

                    Krstení 1794-1820 Zomrelí 1781-1820 Sobášení 1781-1820 Krstení 1821-
                    1843 Zomrelí 1821-1843 Sobášení 1821-1843 Krstení 1844-1851, 1854-
                    1889 Sobášení 1854-1889 Zomrelí 1854-1889 Krstení 1889-1894 - FHL
                    INTL Film [ 1794065 ]

                    Krstení 1894-1895 Sobášení 1889-1895 Zomrelí 1889-1895 . DRUHOPIS
                    MATRIKÝ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1882-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
                    1794352 Items 1-3 ]

                    Though Western Slovakia church records have been filmed by the
                    Mormons, those films are still to be indexed and there is no timing
                    set for that activity. Those church records are currently available
                    (only) in the Slovak Archives. That means you have to wait for
                    Sterusz, Nyitra Megye church records.

                    HOWEVER, you can get the very imformative 1869 Hungarian Census film
                    at LDS.

                    Sterusz (Šterusy) VAULT INTL Film 2185563 Item 4
                    Udva (Udvaské) -- Újcsanálos FHL INTL Film 720016

                    BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                    For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
                    site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                    Ps: some accented characters may not have reproduced correctly.
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005
                      Wow!!! Did you ever get lucky.

                      The part of your family tree that only has records available in the
                      Slovak archives has been completed by a professional genealogist and
                      the church records for the other branch are widely available for local
                      research at the LDs Family History Center.

                      It just doesn't get any better . . .
                    • Pat Watkins
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 10, 2006
                        Hello Mr. John Q Adam:

                        You sent me a real boatload of information about
                        research sites way back in April, 2005 (via the
                        SR) site. I certainly thank you for the help. I
                        do admit, though, I was more than confused and
                        extremely intimidated about the entire project
                        and have been one of those "lurkers" on the SR
                        site. I have, however, gleaned a wealth of
                        information during the lurking time and now feel
                        somewhat more confident about what to seek when I
                        go to my local LDS family history center and a
                        little more knowledgeable about what information
                        I need and what information is a "nice to have"
                        bit. For this I thank you and, having said the
                        above, I will now dive in head first and hope for the best.

                        Pat

                        Pat, Lane and Jesse