"ova" ending on female names

  • sueroecker
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2005
      I've located baptismal, marriage and death records for my ancestors via
      the LDS microfilms and had a question regarding the feminine ending on
      surnames. I've seen a lot of "ova" endings for my evangelical Lutheran
      ancestors from Mokroluh, Lukavica and Bardejov, (Holpitova, Hrivnakova,
      etc...) but on the records for my Greek Catholic ancestors from Dacov,
      I haven't seen this ending used (for example Soltesz and Jurcsenko).
      Is there a particular reason? Do all feminine surnames in present day
      Slovakia have the "ova" ending?
      Sue Roecker
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2005
        >Dear Sue,
        >This ova endings were officially introduced after the WW1, when the
        Czech administration took over the matters.
        >Here and there you can find them before that time. I take it as a
        Czech influence. Such influence can be seen in areas close to
        >the chech borders, where the czech educated priest or a czechofile
        began to write ova , or Jiri for Juraj.
        >Personally I do not like such Slovak name changes ( by the Czech and
        Hungarians) and always use original Slovak names.
        >In my FTM I never use ova ending, because this ending displaces my
        persons on the list and I may miss one.
        >This ova ending was imposed and there are people who don't like it
        and I think I already read, that it is not madatory any
        >more or it will be lifted in the next future.My wife does not have
        such an ending, and for long time she was receiving mail from
        >Reader's Digest with her name written Mr. Olga Bohinc. This shows,
        how narrow minded some people are:-) ( if there is not
        >ova, the person must be a man - named Olga ?)
        >It also makes some surnames absolutely ridiculous, like male
        surname: Nejeschleba ( You are not eating bread !) turn to
        > Nejeschlebova, which is a nonsense combination.
        >There are many such cases, but it's early in the morning and I don't
        have them in my head now.
        >When referring to foreign persons in the press, they also change
        their names and add ova, and there was already writing about
        >this nonsense and some of those foreign persons have complained why
        the slovak state allows such name changes.
        >A nice example are names from Island, which end with .. dottir, wrich
        signifies, that this person is a daughter of somebody.
        >Now, our Slovaks have changed such a name to .. dottirova, which is a
        double what ??
        > This practice is all wrong and should be abolished.
        > Vladimir

        Dear Vladimir,

        Believe your description of the use of the Slavic feminine gender
        affix -ova may be "politically correct" but was neither historical nor
        liguistically correct.

        When a Hungarian woman marries she loses her given name because she is
        called "the wife of husband's name".
        In Hungarian by adding affix " né " to name of her husband.
        Hence, Mrs. John Nagy would be Nagy Ja'nosné.

        In some cultures like Hungarian,the family name is actually placed
        before the given names.
        Hungarian English
        Nagy János John Nagy (actually Nagy= big)
        Kovács Mária Mary Smith
        So such terms like "first name" and "last name" carry opposite
        meanings when used outside of English speaking cultures.

        Terms Junior, ifjú (Jr,,ifj.) and Senior , ido"sebb (Sr., id.) are put
        before the surnames in abbrev. and lower case forms.
        ifj. Nagy János John Nagy, Jr.

        The equivalent of Mrs. is the Hungarian né (wife) which is added to a
        husband's name.
        Hence, Mrs. John Smith would be Kovács Jánosné.
        The wife of John Smith, Sr. would be id. Kovács Jánosné.

        A widow, özvegy, could use the abbrev. özv. or ö. before the surname
        of her husband ö. Nagy Jánosné Mrs. John Nagy, widow.

        Hungarian noble women used titles. The unmarried daughter of Count
        John Nagy added no" (woman) to gróf (count) and place it after her
        given name.
        Nagy Mária grófno" Countess Mary Nagy

        The wife of a count used gröfné (countess, married woman)
        Nagy Jánosné gröfné

        Hungarian is a language completely unrelated to any Slavic or
        Germanic languages.
        Hungarian language doesn't use declensions and uses complex
        relationships expressed by numerous agglutinative (i.e., to glue
        together) suffixes and prefixes attached to root words which
        themselves don't change.
        There is no grammatical gender in Hungarian.

        In Indo-European languages, genders typically include feminine,
        masculine and neuter.

        The Finno-Ugric languages, Hungarian, Finnish, Turkish, and Estonian
        are gender-free languages.

        Hungarian
        asszony wife, woman
        férjes asszony married woman
        férjezett married,married woman
        feleség wife
        felesége wife of
        no" woman, wife
        no"s married

        http://www.felix-game.ca/html_files/readingfilm.html.

        One of most common Slavic surname affixes is the one denoting gender
        of the bearer -ová (Slovak), -owa (Polish), and -oba (Russian).
        (Russians have three names : surname, first name and patronymic-
        which tells us the first name of the person's father)

        As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská, or -ová.
        The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
        of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
        If the surname is adjectival in origin , i.e., ends in -y', the ending
        changes to -á, so that wife of pán (Mr.) C^erny' would be pani (pi)
        (Mrs.) C^erná and their daughter would be slec^na (sl) (Miss) C^erná
        If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to it,
        e.g., pán Kovác^, pani Kovác^ová, slec^na Kovác^ová.

        Czechs do have some unusual surnames.
        example
        Kratochvil meaning "an amusing man".
        Zlamaljelito meaning "he broke the black pudding".
        Stojespal meaning "he slept standing".

        Frank K