Re: Two questions

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2000
      How fascinating. I don't know what was going on in 1847, but at different
      times there were virtual kidnappings of Romany children who were then placed
      in non-Romany homes, presumably including some Slovak homes. According to
      what I have read, a lot of these children later ran away to rejoin their
      birth families.

      The name Fortuna sounds like it might be Italian or Romanian, coming from
      some Romance language -- there certainly were people in Slovakia from all
      over Europe. I have wondered if the surname Petrilla, found in Rank, was of
      such origin.