Re: place Darocz? and some surnames

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2000
      In a message dated 2/27/0 2:09:47 AM, sabinov@... writes:

      << Salavish Zdafce part? Another name or a misspelling by the
      cousin? >>

      Think it was their way of trying to write it in Enlgish and we don't have
      those accented letters - things get garbled over the years - like the game of
      gossip.

      S~aris~ske wouldn't mean a thing to an American but it identified that the
      Dravce was the one in S~aris~ County rather than the one in Spis~. But to an
      American it likely sounded like Slavish - as so many called us - which
      doesn't mean anything but was pretty common use in the early quarter of the
      century in America - at least in my Binghamton NY area.

      People said they were speaking "Slavish" -it's pretty funny. My mother was
      called a hunky, greenhorn, bohunk - you name it. They wouldn't let her be the
      high school valedictorian or salutatorian even thos she was only 15 - they
      said they "made a mistake" and gave her $10 instead. Also the principal told
      her to get rid of those "hunky" earrings or she would never get a job -
      pretty funny in the light of everything pierced today. Talking early 1930s.

      helene