Stolica

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2000
      Dear Jim,

      If the "Stolica" you are looking for is just a remembered pronunciation, perhaps
      it is S^to^la (�t�la), 15 km NNW of Popard, 7 km southwest of Star� Smokovec, 30
      km west of Liptovsk� Hradok . It is in Spi�.

      My great grandfather lived in Southwest, PA and worked for the Hecla mine and I
      believe at Standard Shaft.

      Dr. "Q"

      Jim Honeychuck wrote:

      > From: "Jim Honeychuck" <jimhoney@...>
      >
      > Thanks for looking Helene.
      >
      > I have a dead end on that line, Martin Urban 1856-1915 and wife Maria Puhala
      > 1857-1917. Their daughter remembered them as being from "Spis Stolica,"
      > which my father always thought was the name of a village. However, it seems
      > that only means "Spis County," so it looks like I will have to check every
      > microfilm for that area. About ten down, who knows how many to go.
      >
      > Jim Honeychuck
      > Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla/Puhala
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2000
        Sorry Jim, that's 30 km EAST of Liptovsk� Hradok.

        Dr. "Q"