Re: [S-R] Intro and why I joined

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 10 7:43 PM
      When did they arrive? Would they have gone through Ellis Island? their
      database (_www.ellisisland.org_ (http://www.ellisisland.org) ) may contain town
      names. Have you been able to find their Declarations of Intent (prelude to
      becoming citizens)? These documents, on file either at Federal or County
      Courthouses, or possibly State Archives, should also have more detailed
      information.

      The more you can provide, the more likely it is that someone may be able to
      point you in the right direction.

      Elizabeth
      Virginia

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11 2:49 AM
        In a message dated 3/10/05 9:49:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, JenE1215@...
        writes:

        > All records that I have found
        > do not list any towns only countries which I know doesn't help much

        Hi Jennifer and welcome to Slovak Roots.
        have you looked at the baptismal records of the first generation born in USA?
        Noreen

      • JenE1215@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11 3:18 AM
          Hi Noreen,

          No I haven't seen the baptismal records yet. I know it's a cop out, but where
          my relatives used to live is in a bad area now and I don't like to travel
          there unless I absolutely have to. That is why i have been doing so much
          research on line to avoid going there. Plus I don't the area real well and some of
          the areas are really scarey and I wouldn't want to get lost in them if you know
          what I mean. LOL

          Will see what I can do though.

          Thanks again, Jen

        • JenE1215@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11 3:29 AM
            Hello Elizabeth,

            Yes some of them came through Ellis Island but the information doesn't list
            towns just countries.

            No as far as the Declaration of Intent this is the first time I've heard of
            this document. Is it something I have to go to the library for or do they have
            records on line somewhere?

            Thank you , Jen

          • EMSCRS@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11 3:46 AM
              Jen,

              You need not actually go to where the records are, you can usually get them
              by making a phone call and asking where and to whom to write, and then
              following with a letter.

              Elizabeth

            • EMSCRS@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11 3:50 AM
                Declarations of Intent are filed in one or more of three places (as a rule):
                the Federal Courthouse nearest to where they lived at the time of filing,
                the County Courthouse of the county in which they lived, or (as in New Jersey
                for the older ones) in the State Archives. They are supposed to contain a
                lot of useful information, but some are better than others. From Ellis Island,
                you can learn when they arrived, and from the census you may learn roughly
                when they became citizens. They would have to have been here for at least 5
                years before applying, so that is also a clue. And their birth certificates
                would have had to be produced, so you might try to find out whatever happened
                to them. My grandmother's was in Hungarian, but I was very fortunate in
                finding someone who was able to help me - Vladimir, who is a valuable member of
                this list, and is a professional genealogist.

                Elizabeth

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11 5:13 AM
                  There is an example of a D of I on this page
                  http://tinyurl.com/62w7s

                  You can also read about other places to find your village name & how here
                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
                  Good Luck!
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 11 5:27 AM
                    If you can find a cooperative priest or minister, you can handle it over the phone. You don't need an official certificate for genealogy purposes. You just need the information. This is called an "extraction" in bureaucratic terms.

                    All you need the priest to do is look up in the church ledger the scrament(s) and name(s) you are interested in. There is often supporting information written in the legdger (place of birth). This would not be transcribed onto the certificate as it is unnecessary. That's the key, getting the priest to reveal all that is written for that event.

                    Now, to temper this with reality. Many priests are unwilling to handle such a request, as they are overworked and need to focus on their ministry. Even with a handsome donation. But as I tell my kids, it never hurts to ask.

                    I called the Scranton church of my grandparents and the priest seemed helpful. He said to send the request in writing. I read that as a code for "donation requested." I obliged and got my info within a month. The following year, the priest changed and the new guy was/is entirely uninterested in helping.

                    Such is life.
                    Bill

                  • JenE1215@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 11 7:37 AM
                      Thanks Bill,

                      I will take your advice on all that you have told me and let you know how it
                      comes out.

                      Have a great day and thanks again
                      Jennifer

                    • Evelyn Marsh
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 11 9:40 AM
                        Jen,
                        Was wondering where your relatives used to live - was wondering if you were referring to Bridgeport, CT?
                        Evelyn

                        JenE1215@... wrote:
                        Hi Noreen,

                        No I haven't seen the baptismal records yet. I know it's a cop out, but where
                        my relatives used to live is in a bad area now and I don't like to travel
                        there unless I absolutely have to. That is why i have been doing so much
                        research on line to avoid going there. Plus I don't the area real well and some of
                        the areas are really scarey and I wouldn't want to get lost in them if you know
                        what I mean. LOL

                        Will see what I can do though.

                        Thanks again, Jen

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • mlthrush
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 11 2:36 PM
                          Hi Evelyn,

                          I grew up in Bridgeport CT and have quite a bit of research going on
                          there. It's interesting you questioned Jen, because I thought the
                          same thing having been back there a few years ago and driving
                          through my old neighborhood. Unfortunately it's true; Bridgeport
                          has become pretty scary. However, I have had pretty good luck with
                          the churches and vital records dept. as far as trying to find
                          information. This all by phone, letter or filling out request
                          forms.

                          Anyone else on the list with Bridgeport ties?
                          My family went to St. Cyril and Methodius church and I grew up on
                          the East side.

                          Mary Lou

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@s...>

                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank

                          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Service.

                        • nhasior@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 11 5:18 PM
                            Hi Jen,
                            possibly you could get someone at the rectory to look at the ledger and let
                            you know what is written there. a baptismal certificate would not be any help
                            to you. it gives you very little information on the grandparents. only their
                            names and the names of the godparents. you need to see the ledger. my
                            grandparents'' and parents' church in Passaic was very helpful and would not take
                            a donation. i found two of my four grandparents' exact village of birth in
                            Slovakia from those ledgers.
                            Noreen

                          • Andrea Vangor
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 11 10:22 PM
                              Bridgeport ties on both sides of the family, by coincidence.
                              The Slovaks were Lutheran. Maura Petzolt, the list founder, also has roots
                              in Bridgeport -- our families knew each other. Hope I spelled that right.

                              > I grew up in Bridgeport CT and have quite a bit of research going on
                              > there. It's interesting you questioned Jen, because I thought the
                              > same thing having been back there a few years ago and driving
                              > through my old neighborhood. Unfortunately it's true; Bridgeport
                              > has become pretty scary. However, I have had pretty good luck with
                              > the churches and vital records dept. as far as trying to find
                              > information. This all by phone, letter or filling out request
                              > forms.
                              >
                              > Anyone else on the list with Bridgeport ties?
                              > My family went to St. Cyril and Methodius church and I grew up on
                              > the East side.
                              >
                              > Mary Lou
                              >
                              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@s...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Jen,
                              > > Was wondering where your relatives used to live - was wondering if
                              > you were referring to Bridgeport, CT?
                              > > Evelyn
                              > >
                              > > JenE1215@a... wrote:
                              > > Hi Noreen,
                              > >
                              > > No I haven't seen the baptismal records yet. I know it's a cop
                              > out, but where
                              > > my relatives used to live is in a bad area now and I don't like to
                              > travel
                              > > there unless I absolutely have to. That is why i have been doing
                              > so much
                              > > research on line to avoid going there. Plus I don't the area real
                              > well and some of
                              > > the areas are really scarey and I wouldn't want to get lost in
                              > them if you know
                              > > what I mean. LOL
                              > >
                              > > Will see what I can do though.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks again, Jen

                              > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              > Service.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >

                              > --

                            • dorothy
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 12 6:32 AM
                                Hi Mary Lou,
                                I did not grow up in Bridgeport but my grandparents did for awhile.
                                They were married in St. Michaels. I went there to get their marriage
                                record and the bap record of their first child. It was quite an
                                experience. This was back in 1995. The priest was reluctantly helpful.
                                My cousin was a parol officer in Bridgeport. Tough town.
                                Dorothy

                                > Hi Evelyn,
                                >
                                > I grew up in Bridgeport CT and have quite a bit of research going on
                                > there. It's interesting you questioned Jen, because I thought the
                                > same thing having been back there a few years ago and driving
                                > through my old neighborhood. Unfortunately it's true; Bridgeport
                                > has become pretty scary. However, I have had pretty good luck with
                                > the churches and vital records dept. as far as trying to find
                                > information. This all by phone, letter or filling out request
                                > forms.
                                >
                                > Anyone else on the list with Bridgeport ties?
                                > My family went to St. Cyril and Methodius church and I grew up on
                                > the East side.
                                >
                                > Mary Lou
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@s...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > Jen,
                                > > Was wondering where your relatives used to live - was wondering if
                                > you were referring to Bridgeport, CT?
                                > > Evelyn
                                > >
                                > > JenE1215@a... wrote:
                                > > Hi Noreen,
                                > >
                                > > No I haven't seen the baptismal records yet. I know it's a cop
                                > out, but where
                                > > my relatives used to live is in a bad area now and I don't like to
                                > travel
                                > > there unless I absolutely have to. That is why i have been doing
                                > so much
                                > > research on line to avoid going there. Plus I don't the area real
                                > well and some of
                                > > the areas are really scarey and I wouldn't want to get lost in
                                > them if you know
                                > > what I mean. LOL
                                > >
                                > > Will see what I can do though.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks again, Jen

                                > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                > Service.

                                > --------------------~-->
                                > Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's
                                > Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
                                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/8HGP.B/5WnJAA/a8ILAA> /FvNolB/TM

                              • Terry L. Karkos
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 12 11:16 AM
                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "mlthrush" <mlthrush@a...> wrote:
                                  > Anyone else on the list with Bridgeport ties?
                                  > My family went to St. Cyril and Methodius church and I grew up on
                                  > the East side.
                                  >
                                  > Mary Lou

                                  Hi, Mary Lou.

                                  My great-great grandfather Andrej "Andro" Pavel Karkos's second wife,
                                  Katherine Mayar (or possibly Magyar), was living in Bridgeport when
                                  they got married, sometime after 1915, and returned to his home in
                                  Lisbon Falls, Maine. (his first wife, Zuzana Bichrest died Oct. 24,
                                  1915)

                                  My great grandfather said that Katherine was just after his money,
                                  and that she wasn't a nice woman. That's about all I know of her.

                                  Andro (who was born in Parno/Parchovany, Slovakia, and served 3 years
                                  in Franz Jozef's army), made and sold cinder blocks (something he
                                  invented, I was
                                  told), and was a foreman at the Worumbo Mill in Lisbon Falls.

                                  I think my great-great gf went to Bridgeport to visit friends or a
                                  daughter, or possibly for a marriage. I know there were a lot of
                                  Slovaks in Bridgeport at one time, and I think there were ties there
                                  for Karkoses in my line, but I haven't uncovered them yet.

                                  Andro helped build a Sts. Cyril & Methodius Slovak church in Lisbon
                                  Falls, and was one of the first ones to be buried in its cemetery
                                  when his car went off a bridge and into the Androscoggin River where
                                  he drowned (Oct. 27, 1923), along with two other Slovaks, Popadak
                                  brothers. I haven't found Andro's will yet in town archives to learn
                                  more about Katherine Mayar, and to see if she did get his money, and
                                  then returned to Bridgeport. She didn't stay in Maine.

                                  Terry Karkos