Budapest directory 1900

  • Peter Nagy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2005
      Hi!

      There is a new online resource - the 1900 Budapest directory. It lists
      all the addresses in Budapest. The URL is:

      http://www.bparchiv.hu/cgi-bin/lakas/lakas.pl

      The fields are:
      Név: Name, this is the only one obligatory field, wildcart * is
      allowed, the form uses the accented characters
      Státusz: Title
      Nemesi előnév: Noble name
      Foglalkozás: occupation
      Kerület: District ( I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X bármelyik = any)
      Cím: Address

      It is worthwhile to mention, that in 1910 in Budapest there lived many
      ethnic nationalities of Hungarian Kingdom: Hungarians (756,000), Germans
      (78,000), Slovaks (20,000), Romanians (27,000), Croatians (3,000),
      Serbians (4,000), Czechs (15,000). In such sense, Budapest was in that
      time the largest "Slovak town" (Slovak population of Bratislava was only
      11,600, Banska Bystrica had 10,700 total, etc.).

      The proportion of the non-Hungarian ethnic groups in Budapest shows
      their participation in the Hungarian Kingdom's state administration,
      economy, business, education and science in the Capital. I do not know,
      if there is a sociology study on this topic. It surprises me, that there
      were practically no Rusyns in Budapest according the official data! This
      can be explained, I thing in two ways:

      - The Rusyns did not penetrate to the elite structures of Hungary at all, or
      - The Rusyns who moved to Budapest did not declare themselves as Rusyns
      in the census.

      Peter

      --
      Cilistovska 20