RE: [S-R] Intro and village question

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
      Lisa,

      Welcome to the club: most of us started with nearly as much information as
      you, so be encouraged!

      Everyone is correct: more eyes are better than fewer eyes when it comes to
      this. Sloppy handwriting and old-fashioned script can easily trick the
      initiated.

      Back to your question:
      "Which is better- to concentrate on having the document translated to
      figure out place of birth or to research the arrival at Ellis Island
      (for which we have a tentative date)?"

      The place of birth is the most critical piece of information. You also need
      to check more than one place to corroborate that place of birth, since
      oftentimes back then the "official" records were incorrect. 100 years ago,
      they simply were not concerned with getting it exactly correct, especially
      as Americans do today. There was no Social Security, drivers license,
      retirement benefits, voting rights, etc. by which identification was
      required.

      So, the answer is "yes" and "yes". Yes - get the document translated (we
      should be able to decode these in short order, since the layout and facts
      shown are pretty predictable) and look in ship manifests and anything else
      which might corroborate it.

      I have posted additional information which you might find helpful:

      Place name research -- sources:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/kingdom_of_hungary.htm

      Certificates:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/passports%20certificates%20documents.htm#chu
      rch

      Regards,
      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
        In a message dated 3/7/05 12:56:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        westwood@... writes:

        > rom. Kath

        Roman Catholic

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
          You will be able to see another Kivonat as soon as Bill T posts it
          on his web site. He will also have a Rodny List = Birth Certificate.
          The Kivonat contains more information.
        • Jan Ammann
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
            Hello Slovak Group.........

            Well, the 1715 Original Census Images are again unavailable tonight....and this time the "Unavailable" page is in Hungarian. Mine has always been in English. Its 9:42 PM here in Texas.

            Cheers, Jan