Re: Jim Honeychuck

  • Charles L. Lang
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2000
      From: Jim Honeychuck <jimhoney@...>
      To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com>
      Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2000 6:01 AM
      Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Jim Honeychuck

      > From: "Jim Honeychuck" <jimhoney@...>
      >
      > Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla/Puhala
      > >
      > Hi Jim,

      I was just curious on your Urban Surname. While I was still living in
      Connecticut, Stratford, I worked for a Peter Urban who owned a small deli
      there. It was called Pete & Sons. I remember Mr. Urban telling me that his
      family were Polish Gypsies and that he had made a few trips back home. The
      name just brought back some memeries to me and I wondered where in the US
      your Urban's are or were? It was about 14 years ago that I worked there.

      Mary
    • Charles L. Lang
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2000
          Thanks for looking Helene.

          I have a dead end on that line, Martin Urban 1856-1915 and wife Maria Puhala
          1857-1917. Their daughter remembered them as being from "Spis Stolica,"
          which my father always thought was the name of a village. However, it seems
          that only means "Spis County," so it looks like I will have to check every
          microfilm for that area. About ten down, who knows how many to go.

          Jim Honeychuck
          Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla/Puhala
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2000
            Mary,

            Polish Gypsies. Now that's one I'd like to post to the Urban mailing list,
            if you don't mind. As for mine, my great grandfather was definitely Slovak
            and was a coal miner in Hecla, Pennsylvania.

            It is pretty clear that the surname Urban is not connected with any
            particular nationality. I think its origin must be simply be the Latin word
            for city.

            Thanks.

            Jim Honeychuck

          • helenezx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2000
              In a message dated 2/26/0 1:05:46 PM, jimhoney@... writes:

              << Their daughter remembered them as being from "Spis Stolica," >>

              Jim,

              We have the following Urbans listed for Spis besides you:

              Village & Cty Ancestor Descendant
              Batizovce SPIS Urban Freedman
              Kravany SPIS Urban Schartner
              Prakovce SPIS Urban Paff
              Spis. Nova Ves SPIS Urban Kozbelt

              Let me know if you wnt to contact any of them. Or might give you a clue as to
              location.

              helene