RE: [S-R] 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer - Request for help de ciphering!

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
      Dear Peter,

      I could not believe my eyes. I am speechless. How is it possible that just
      by chance you chose to feature in your instructions the very names and
      places I have been hunting for nearly four years--Kozla, Kozlai, Kozik, and
      Lovinobana (for which I have not been able to locate church records). This
      has proven to be a particularly elusive family. I thought I had become
      fairly proficient at searching the Arcanum.hu/mol databases, but I was
      always baffled by the green screen, and generally ignored it. Now, with your
      very clear instructions and translations of the terms, I am ready to give it
      another shot.

      I have also recently acquired the Konyvtar IV DVD from Arcanum, which has a
      very large number of databases relating to Hungarian nobility, including but
      certainly not limited to Nagy Iván, Kempelen Béla, and Siebmacher's
      Wappenbuch. Some of your instructions also apply to those databases, which I
      have been learning as I played with the DVD. If anyone is interested, I
      would be happy to search out names and places as long as I don't get
      overwhelmed with requests. Many of us were extremely unhappy when Arcanum
      removed the Nagy and Kempelen databases from their free website, which is
      why I broke down and ordered the DVD. I had no idea that there were numerous
      other databases that also were rich sources of information.

      I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to provide this worksheet.