Other social groups

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 5:05 AM
      Let's not forget that there are other social groups besides the farmers,
      such as the craftsmen and the nobles. In the Latin records you run across
      lanio (butcher), molitor (miller), and fabri (smith), who served their
      communities but were not farmers. Yesterday for the first time I ran across
      entries for women (godmothers) who were designated as lanionissa,
      molitorissa, and fabrissa. Do these signify that they were married to their
      respective butchers, millers, and smiths, or could there actually have been
      "butcheresses," "milleresses," and female smiths? I suspect the former, but
      I'd like another opinion. I would also like an opinion on whether in your
      experiences most of these specialties were filled by the minor nobility. I
      seem to have evidence that this was so, at least in the areas I have been
      searching.

      Janet