Village Names

  • Frank Schoemann
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      I thought there was a reference on this board at one time on
      determining old names of villages. I know of three recent names of a
      village of my ancestors, Rohoznik and before that Rohrbach, and
      possibly before that Nadasfo (with a single quote mark over the a,
      and a doulbe quote mark over the o [the latter name from the 1910
      Pozsony map of Hungaria).

      Could someone help me on village name reference source.

      Thank you.
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Here you are, Frank ...

        http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

        Caye

        --- Frank Schoemann <daaschoe@...> wrote:

        > I thought there was a reference on this board at one
        > time on
        > determining old names of villages. I know of three
        > recent names of a
        > village of my ancestors, Rohoznik and before that
        > Rohrbach, and
        > possibly before that Nadasfo (with a single quote
        > mark over the a,
        > and a doulbe quote mark over the o [the latter name
        > from the 1910
        > Pozsony map of Hungaria).
        >
        > Could someone help me on village name reference
        > source.
        >
        > Thank you.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          Dear Frank,
          Here is the history of the name development:
          1773 Rarborczium, Rarpach,Rachrbach
          1786 Rohrbach
          1808 Rarbok, Rohrbach
          1863 Rarbok
          1873-1907 Rohrbach
          1913 Nadasfo
          1920 Ralboch, Rarbok
          1927-1948 Rarbok
          1848- Rohoznik

          Regards,
          Vladimir

          I thought there was a reference on this board at one time on
          determining old names of villages. I know of three recent names of a
          village of my ancestors, Rohoznik and before that Rohrbach, and
          possibly before that Nadasfo (with a single quote mark over the a,
          and a doulbe quote mark over the o [the latter name from the 1910
          Pozsony map of Hungaria).

          Could someone help me on village name reference source.

          Thank you.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          http://www.eset.sk