Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer Available Online

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
      Thanks, Bill, for posting the site for the Hungarian Census, etc. I have
      been playing around for more than an hour and found both my paternal and
      maternal grandparents' surnames in the area where they lived, probably the
      same village for that matter. I had genealogical research done on both of
      these families and got back as far as the late 1700s. Don't know where I
      will go next with what I've found. Maybe I will look for the other side of
      their families. I love the old handwriting - kind of reminds me of colonial
      American records I've researched. Anyway - grea fun.
      Carol
    • Jan Ammann
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hello Bill..........

        I have to plead to "not understanding" where I can find the Dvsorszak Gazetteer. The way you talk about it below it appears on the arcanun site but I have not found it there. Where do you bring it up?? I have found the 1715 census but have yet to find any entries for the 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial census. One of my villages is Jobahaza but it is not there and I had hoped it would be.

        Anyway, thanks for all your assistance.

        Cheers, Jan

        Also online is the
        > > important
        > > > Dvsorszak Gazetteer. Admittedly, they are not of much
        genealogical value, but they are important insights into the development of the
        area.

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
          Dvsorszak Gazetteer is published by Pecs University, NOT by Arcanum.
          1. Go here http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/dvorzsak_gazetteer.htm for my
          instructions on its use.
          2. Go here http://kt.lib.pte.hu/konyvtar/kt03110501/tartalom.html to access
          the gazetteer pages.

          3. You cannot "browse" for earlier census - the titles do not lend itself to
          discovery the way the 1715 census does.
          4. In a global search, you may not find your village entries for every
          Urbarial census for three reasons that come quickly to mind: a) It's simply
          not there, b) it wasn't enumerated separately (may have been part of another
          location) or c) It's been misspelled or another spelling you are unaware of
          was used. Remember, "correct name" is a relative term in genealogy.

          In the case of village misspellings, it is likely it was transcribed in
          error. My suggestion is to do a wildcard search. In the case of Try
          "Jobah*", "Jobaha*", "Joba*", or if you are really desperate, try "Job*".
          If that fails, search for adjacent villages and scour the results. Estate
          records are grouped together, so nearby villages should show. If this
          fails, try a larger nearby town.

          I will be interested in hearing (via this group or privately) what you
          discover. Good luck!

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          I have to plead to "not understanding" where I can find the Dvsorszak
          Gazetteer. The way you talk about it below it appears on the arcanun site
          but I have not found it there. Where do you bring it up?? I have found the
          1715 census but have yet to find any entries for the 1623, 1631, 1691
          Ubarial census. One of my villages is Jobahaza but it is not there and I
          had hoped it would be.

          Anyway, thanks for all your assistance.

          Cheers, Jan

          Also online is the
          > > important
          > > > Dvsorszak Gazetteer. Admittedly, they are not of much
          genealogical value, but they are important insights into the development of
          the
          area.
          > > These
          > > > census cover all of the "old Hungary", which means not only
          present-
          > > day
          > > > Slovakia, but also Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, etc.
          > > >
          > > > Shown below are the highlights and links to web pages I have
          > > developed to
          > > > help initiate you on their usage.
          > > >
          > > > • Gazetteers
          > > > • Dvorzsák Gazetteer - Based on the 1877 Census, scans of the
          > > actual
          > > > pages of this Ecclesiastical Gazetteer are now available online
          at
          > > no fee.
          > > > Useful in determining where a villager of a particular faith
          may
          > > have
          > > > attended church. An interesting compliment to Auslander's
          newly-
          > > published
          > > > "Genealogical Gazetteer of the Kingdom of Hungary".

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Peter Nagy
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
            James,

            Inq. is an acronym for inquilinus,

            the interpretation of this term depends on the context, but in principle
            it is a farmer, land tenant.

            Peter

            --
            Cilistovska 20
            931 01 Samorin

            tel: +421 31 560 0641
            mobile: +421 905 490 552
            http://www.centroconsult.sk
          • James McGrath
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
              Thank you, Peter! Now that I've found the term, there
              are a few sites online that help explain the social
              structure in general terms.

              Any suggestions on what the column with the '3' in it
              indicates would still be welcome...

              James

              --- Peter Nagy <nagy@...> wrote:

              > James,
              >
              > Inq. is an acronym for inquilinus,
              >
              > the interpretation of this term depends on the
              > context, but in principle
              > it is a farmer, land tenant.
              >
              > Peter
              >
              > --
              > Cilistovska 20
              > 931 01 Samorin
              > Slovak Republic
              >
              > tel: +421 31 560 0641
              > mobile: +421 905 490 552
              > http://www.centroconsult.sk

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jan Ammann
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
                Hi Bill........

                Before I even get started I have to say I got a good laugh out of your statement to me about searching for the village "Jobahaza". You gave me some examples and then you said, "if you are really desperate" ........well, I have to say that I thought everybody who searches in this part of Eastern Europe stays in "a desperate state".........at least, I do..........smile.........grin.

                You mentioned that if any of us decided to click on one of the specialized menus instead of a global search in the 1715 or other census we were to pass on our info. So here is mine!

                Well, I attempted one and so will share with the list. On the left side on the drop down menu of the opening page, I selected "on Az 1715-osszeiras". I went to a page with a large blank space on a green field. Here is how I have deciphered the fields/spaces.

                1. B�rhol az adatb�zisban = means "Anywhere in the database"
                2. Helys�g = means "place or locality"
                3. Lipszky-f�le helys�gn�v = means "_____ toward locality". I wasn't able to translate "Lipszky"
                4. 1913-as helys�gn�v = means "1913-as to place/locality"
                5. 1913-as megyebeoszt�s = means "1913 as county arrangement/apportionment"
                6. Mai hivatalos helys�gn�v = means "today's official place"
                7. V�s�rhely = means "market/fair place"
                8. Ad�z�k - means "impose taxes/rates"

                Kifejez�sek kapcsolata a mez�n bel�l: means and this is a guess of sorts: "Expression/word that have relation with the fields". I have to spoof myself here because at first I thought it meant meadows.......smile......but I believe it means "as fields in a computer space".

                a mez�k k�z�tt: means "fields inbetween"

                The three choices are: "es" which means "and" ~ "vagy" which means "or" ~ "nem" means "no/not".

                Now, if you click on the arrows which are placed at the end of each field, the right side of the screen has long........long.........long lists which are slow to go through. There is a long list of numbers in different digits.......then it starts with "a" and seems to be a variety of words....names of people...nouns....even some verbs. It is a cumbersome list. I have never made it through the entire list. Oh, and of course, all of this is at the website: www.arcanum.hu/mol.

                And the word at the end: "Kereses" means "Look"........

                I would definitely not call this a tutorial.........just a "naive guide" to what may be in this page. So hopefully, someone a lot smarter than me will take this to a higher level. Again, thanks to this list which is always friendly and helpful.

                Cheers,
                Jan

                Great news! Several 17th and 18th Century Magyar Census images and/or
                transcriptions are now available online.
                � The 1715 Census is now available online at no fee via Arcanum - These are
                actual scans of all the individual pages and transcriptions of the original
                census document. The transcriptions are computer-searchable. Thanks to
                Peter Nagy for the "heads up." This may be a limited time offer!
                � 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial Census transcriptions are also online available
                at no fee via Arcanum. These are transcriptions ONLY. The transcriptions
                are computer-searchable. This may be also be a limited time offer!

                I would very much like to hear how they work for you. Happy Hunting!
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm#new

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Peter Nagy
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                  Jan,

                  I am fluent in Hungarian and I intend to draft a tutorial, but this week
                  I am very busy. You and Bill Tarkulich have done a good start. Only few
                  comments:
                  The Lipszky is a reference to Lipszky gazetteer.

                  You wrote:

                  >Now, if you click on the arrows which are placed at the end of each field, the right side of the screen has long........long.........long lists which are slow to go through. There is a long list of numbers in different digits.......then it starts with "a" and seems to be a variety of words....names of people...nouns....even some verbs. It is a cumbersome list. I have never made it through the entire list.

                  This list is very helpful, but its use is very tricky. Here is na example:
                  You wish to search the name of the taxpayer, there is a field with name
                  "Adózók". You have to click to the green arrow located right for the
                  field. After some time (depending on the server workload and speed of
                  your connection) a new list on the right page of the screen will be
                  loaded "Az Adózók mezőben előforduló szavak" - here are shown all the
                  surname variations included in the database. You have now to move the
                  cursor to any item in this list. You can move through the list using
                  navigation keys of your keyboard, but also you can do quick jumps to the
                  desired letter by hitting the alphabetic keys. Pressing "t" you will
                  jump to the surname "Taák". Pressing the second key "u" you will
                  undertake next jump to "tuba". etc. After you have selected your
                  surname, you have double click on the selected name and this will be
                  pasted to the surname field. There is now way back, thus you must start
                  new search pressing the green arrow button. The similar procedure is to
                  be used for remaining fields.

                  Let me please know, if it was understandable.

                  Peter

                  --
                  Cilistovska 20
                  931 01 Samorin

                  tel: +421 31 560 0641
                  mobile: +421 905 490 552
                  http://www.centroconsult.sk
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                    Thank you Jan! - If you don't mind, I'll post your remarks on the web page.
                    We'll go back someday and edit it, after everyone's initial investigations
                    settle down.

                    ______________
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    Before I even get started I have to say I got a good laugh out of your
                    statement to me about searching for the village "Jobahaza". You gave me
                    some examples and then you said, "if you are really desperate" ........well,
                    I have to say that I thought everybody who searches in this part of Eastern
                    Europe stays in "a desperate state".........at least, I
                    do..........smile.........grin.

                    You mentioned that if any of us decided to click on one of the specialized
                    menus instead of a global search in the 1715 or other census we were to pass
                    on our info. So here is mine!

                    Well, I attempted one and so will share with the list. On the left side on
                    the drop down menu of the opening page, I selected "on Az 1715-osszeiras".
                    I went to a page with a large blank space on a green field. Here is how I
                    have deciphered the fields/spaces.

                    1. Bárhol az adatbázisban = means "Anywhere in the database" 2. Helység =
                    means "place or locality" 3. Lipszky-féle helységnév = means "_____ toward
                    locality". I wasn't able to translate "Lipszky" 4. 1913-as helységnév =
                    means "1913-as to place/locality" 5. 1913-as megyebeosztás = means "1913 as
                    county arrangement/apportionment" 6. Mai hivatalos helységnév = means
                    "today's official place" 7. Vásárhely = means "market/fair place" 8.
                    Adózók - means "impose taxes/rates"

                    Kifejezések kapcsolata a mezõn belül: means and this is a guess of sorts:
                    "Expression/word that have relation with the fields". I have to spoof
                    myself here because at first I thought it meant meadows.......smile......but
                    I believe it means "as fields in a computer space".

                    a mezõk között: means "fields inbetween"

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                      Hello Bill....

                      You are most welcome. It's just a little "payback" for all the help this list has given me. You are very brave to post this on your web page! I have done some work on the other specialized menus on arcanum and will post them if and when I finish them. It is always a struggle with Hungarian language.

                      Cheers..............Jan

                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                        Hello Peter........Thanks for the Lipszky word. I thought it was a proper name but was not sure. And yes...........thank you very much........I do understand your instructions about the long, long, long list on the right side of the screen. Your instructions will help me "literally fly through it" and that is very helpful. It is too bad you do not live in Texas as I would probably lock you in a room and give you all the "Hungarian stuff" I have yet to try and translate!! And you would be happy as I am a good cook!!! Just kidding, of course!

                        Thank you again for your very precise and understandable way to "navigate the long, long, long lists!" And I am sure we all look forward to your tutorial.

                        Cheers, Jan

                        Peter Nagy wrote...

                        You wrote:

                        >Now, if you click on the arrows which are placed at the end of each field, the right side of the screen has long........long.........long lists which are slow to go through. There is a long list of numbers in different digits.......then it starts with "a" and seems to be a variety of words....names of people...nouns....even some verbs. It is a cumbersome list. I have never made it through the entire list.

                        This list is very helpful, but its use is very tricky. Here is na example:
                        You wish to search the name of the taxpayer, there is a field with name
                        "Ad�z�k". You have to click to the green arrow located right for the
                        field. After some time (depending on the server workload and speed of
                        your connection) a new list on the right page of the screen will be
                        loaded "Az Ad�z�k mez�ben el�fordul� szavak" - here are shown all the
                        surname variations included in the database. You have now to move the
                        cursor to any item in this list. You can move through the list using
                        navigation keys of your keyboard, but also you can do quick jumps to the
                        desired letter by hitting the alphabetic keys. Pressing "t" you will
                        jump to the surname "Ta�k". Pressing the second key "u" you will

                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                          Dear Jan, Bill and others,

                          I invite you to comment the draft of 1715 census guide. It is not yet
                          linked to other centroconsult pages. The URL is:
                          http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html

                          Peter

                          --
                          Cilistovska 20
                          931 01 Samorin

                          tel: +421 31 560 0641
                          mobile: +421 905 490 552
                          http://www.centroconsult.sk
                        • Jan Ammann
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                            Hello Peter......

                            First of all, the page is very well constructed. The way you set up the area/space that needs to filled in with your family data is excellent. By placing the English words alongside the Hungarian words you have created an "easy and almost fool-proof" method of finding your information. I consider this the "best part of the whole page".

                            Then, by telling us how to navigate the long, long lists, you have helped us manage our time more effectively by not having to "needlessly search". You make it look very easy. And the instructions for jumping from alphabet to alphabet is excellent.

                            And, of course, the examples are the "icing on the cake".........everyone should be able to now go through this section of Arcanum with speed and accuracy. And the showing of the villages where the Kozlia name occured just reinforces your method of presentation. You have done it all very effectively yet with simple and uncluttered language. (Aside to Janet.....any connection??)

                            I feel very honored that my name is at the bottom of the page alongside Bill Tarkulich. And that you used my very rudimentary tutorial is itself very gratifying to me. You guys are the "pros".........Thank you for letting an amateur like myself in!!

                            Cheers and many thanks!

                            Jan

                          • bbadzio@look.ca
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                              I wonder if anyone knows whether there are any plans (by Arcanum or
                              others) to put the 1767-1773 Urbarium census on-line.

                              Thank you,

                              Bohdana
                            • Paula
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                                I too have found 4 villages in Békés megye with possible family
                                memebers. The easiest way I found was to do a surname search, with
                                and without the umlauts. It will not only bring up the 1715 census
                                but the ubarial records down below. Not that I can read them. I did
                                print my info off and also the actual written pages so I have
                                something to go on later.

                                paula

                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                                  I see 1773 in there. Do a search on "1773"

                                  ______________
                                  Bill Tarkulich

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                                    Thank you, Bill, for your suggestion.

                                    I don't believe, however, that I see what I'm looking for. Just to clarify
                                    what Urbarium I mean, it is the one that is found in FHL catalog:

                                    *********************************
                                    Title: Urbéri tabellák, 1767-1773
                                    Authors: Magyarország. Helytartótanács (Main Author)

                                    Notes: Az eredeti iratok mikrofilmre vétele Budapesten a Magyar Országos
                                    Levéltárban történt.
                                    Feudal land tenancy census records of Hungary, the so-called "Urbarium" or
                                    "Urbéri tabellák", a document that defines the goods and services that a
                                    serf was obligated to give to the feudal lord. Includes names of
                                    landowners and serfs. Arranged by counties, and within the counties by
                                    villages in alphabetical order. Includes primarily the years 1767-1773,
                                    with some entries and the index covering the years 1723-1848. Some areas
                                    that were in Hungary when these records were kept are now in Slovakia,
                                    Romania and Ukraine
                                    *************************

                                    When I searched Arcanum for "1773", 142 hits came up. Part of the titles
                                    looked similar to this:

                                    **Urbaria et Conscriptiones/IRREGESTRATA/UC 4/UC 4 : 17**,

                                    and the other part - to this:

                                    **A középkori Magyarország levéltári forrásainak adatbázisa/U szekció:
                                    DIPLOMATIKAI FÉNYKÉPGYÛJTEMÉNY/Magyarország/Vas Megyei Levéltár/DF
                                    262095**

                                    Just to make sure that this Urbarium was not "hidden" (meaning that it
                                    could not be browsed, only searched), I searched the whole database for
                                    the surnames I had just recorded from the microfilm copy of the Urbarium.
                                    There were many I did not find.

                                    Of course, none of what I just said proves that the Urbarium I'm looking
                                    for is not on the Arcanum site, but I have my doubts that it is there...

                                    Will be grateful for any further information.

                                    Bohdana