Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer Available Online

  • Bohdana Badzio
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
      Bill,

      In your instructions, I see the explanation of the 1715 Census.
      However, your section on the 1623, 1631, and 1691 Urbarium census
      talks about the 1715 Census too. I don't see any references to those
      early censuses on the Arcanum site either (not that I can understand,
      at least).

      Could you explain please?

      Thank you,

      Bohdana

      <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
      > Great news! Several 17th and 18th Century Magyar Census images
      and/or
      > transcriptions are now available online. Also online is the
      important
      > Dvsorszak Gazetteer. Admittedly, they are not of much genealogical
      value,
      > but they are important insights into the development of the area.
      These
      > census cover all of the "old Hungary", which means not only present-
      day
      > Slovakia, but also Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, etc.
      >
      > Shown below are the highlights and links to web pages I have
      developed to
      > help initiate you on their usage.
      >
      > • Gazetteers
      > • Dvorzsák Gazetteer - Based on the 1877 Census, scans of the
      actual
      > pages of this Ecclesiastical Gazetteer are now available online at
      no fee.
      > Useful in determining where a villager of a particular faith may
      have
      > attended church. An interesting compliment to Auslander's newly-
      published
      > "Genealogical Gazetteer of the Kingdom of Hungary".
      > • The 1715 Census is now available online at no fee via Arcanum -
      These are
      > actual scans of all the individual pages and transcriptions of the
      original
      > census document. The transcriptions are computer-searchable.
      Thanks to
      > Peter Nagy for the "heads up." This may be a limited time offer!
      > • 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial Census transcriptions are also online
      available
      > at no fee via Arcanum. These are transcriptions ONLY. The
      transcriptions
      > are computer-searchable. This may be also be a limited time offer!
      >
      > I would very much like to hear how they work for you. Happy
      Hunting!
      > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm#new
      >
      > ______________
      > Bill Tarkulich
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
        Ditto ... I too 'doinked' around at that site, but
        with the language barrier, I felt pretty silly. Any
        further info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I
        did plug my surname into what seemed to me to be the
        search box and one hit did come up -- but I couldn't
        figure out what it was or where to go next.

        Caye

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
          I'll try to give you a little guidance, maybe others can pitch in. I'm pretty busy this week, I put it together over the weekend, but I'll do what I can.

          I've learned how to use it mostly by banging around at it. The Magyar language doesn't hinder much - there are really not many instructions anyways.

          A couple of notes:
          1. Searching for surnames is probably not a good use of your time, though you are welcome to. The spelling variations are many, and misspellings are legend. You are better off, as I always say, finding your village.

          2. Transcription errors are in this database, just as they are in ellis island records. "Zboj" is transcribed as "Zboy" and "Sboy", "Ubla" is written as "Ublia" and so on.

          3. Remember, the village name in use in the year of the Census is the most important one. Some villages have several name variations. Some effort has been made to show the Magyar name and some other variations.

          4. There may have been significantly different surnames living in a village in the 1600s versus the 1700s and later. There was substantial migration in the late 1700s. I have never seen my surname in my village before the late 1700s. In fact, I've never seen it anywhere in Hungary. This leads me to conclude that my ancestors migrated here about that time from lands far off.

          5. If you want to search on Urbarial census only, you’d need to select “Urbariumok” from the dropdown, then use its customized search screen. I’ve not done it. If you do, please post instructions for everyone to benefit from. So, I can't help you with that one. Read on.

          HOWEVER I think it’s easier to just do a global search on all records. This will reveal the urbarial records. The number of hits for each village is fairly small, unless the village name is common. Remember, a global search can contain multiple words, separate by spaces. You can search on any words found in the transcription. For example, “Zboj 1631” is a valid search.

          So, how do you find the Ubarial Census? Just use the global search. Let me give you one example, that’s all I have time to do for now. We will search for my village, ZBOJ:

          1. At http://www.arcanum.hu/mol/ enter “zboj” into the top left search box, press “Mehet!”
          2. You will see two entries in the right bottom panel.
          3. First entry: Urbaria et Conscriptiones/REGESTRATA/UC 156/UC 156 : 1 Click on it. The top right panel will display a TRANSCRIPTION of this census record. Scroll to the top of this top right panel. (1631) is a 1631 Urbarial census and “(1755. március 11.)” is when the entry was re-written. Notice that the year is no where in the clickable title. They used their own urbarial cataloging system, which I do not have time to decode. You’ll see this entry is all in Latin. This is transcribed – which means that someone read the handwritten original and typed it into the computer database. Beware of typing/reading errors. Notes:
          a. There is no document/page image associated with this record. ONLY the transcription is present.
          b. There are often multiple Urbarial records for each village. Each one will have its own clickable entry.
          4. Second entry: Az 1715. évi országos összeírás/Zemplén � 12. TÉKA/Zboy . Notice it has its own high-level entry and “1715” is prominent, unlike the other census. Click on it. You will see a transcription

          Zboy, Harczos, Harcos, Zemplén, Zboj, SK
          Vásárhely: Homonna
          Adózók neve: Joannes Hubak; Joannes Dunascsák; Ignatius Chiruski; Szrucha Pelecha; Michael Szúk; Mathias Labó; Paulus Klekulo; Mathias Szopko; Hripics Szuk
          Oldalszám: 148, 149, 344,

          This is a listing of the village and it’s name variations (Zboy, Harczos, Harcos, Zemplén, Zboj), SK = Slovakia

          Vásárhely: Homonna = contained in the Humenne Estate
          Adózók neve: Joannes Hubak; Joannes Dunascsák; Ignatius Chiruski; Szrucha Pelecha; Michael Szúk; Mathias Labó; Paulus Klekulo; Mathias Szopko; Hripics Szuk = Property holder names. These have been transcribed. Watchout for misspellings/transcriptions! Check agains the original scanned pages (below)
          “Oldalszám: 148, 149, 344,” are links to the actual census page scanned images. In this case, there are three page images. Click on each one, which opens a separate image window.
          Hope this helps,
          Bill

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
            Peter Nagy said that MAYBE IF he had time, he might write a tutorial.
            Remember, we all need to help each other out here. We're all on the bleeding edge of the Internet Infancy. Anything anyone else wants to contribute, please step up! Don't worry if it has errors - my work certainly has errors, and I repair them as they are brought to my attention or learn more

            Bill

> [...]
            > > Hungary".
            > > > • The 1715 Census is now available online at no
            > > fee via Arcanum -
            > > These are
            > > > actual scans of all the individual pages and
            > > transcriptions of the
            > > original
            > > > census document. The transcriptions are
            > > computer-searchable.
            > > Thanks to
            > > > Peter Nagy for the "heads up." This may be a
            > > limited time offer!
            > > > • 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial Census transcriptions
            > > are also online
            > > available
            > > > at no fee via Arcanum. These are transcriptions
            > > ONLY. The
            > > transcriptions
            > > > are computer-searchable. This may be also be a
            > > limited time offer!
            > > >
            > > > I would very much like to hear how they work for

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
              Thanks Bill, going to try again with your
              instructions, I don't expect miracles, plus it's kinda
              fun playing in my spare time.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
                Try to repeat my example. That should give you some confidence that you are working through it right. If you still have troubles, post the names you are looking for. There are many readers on this list and someone will undoubtedly be generous enough to help.

                I already heard back from one researcher who found three of her villages. This could also be a great boom to people in the Transcarpathia section of Ukraine, where there is a dearth of accessible records.

                Regards,
                Bill

                > From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                > Date: 2005/03/01 Tue PM 04:00:48 EST
                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: Re: [S-R] Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer Available Online
                >

                > Thanks Bill, going to try again with your
                > instructions, I don't expect miracles, plus it's kinda
                > fun playing in my spare time.
                >

                > Caye
                >

                > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Peter Nagy said that MAYBE IF he had time, he might
                > > write a tutorial.
                > > Remember, we all need to help each other out here.
                > > We're all on the bleeding edge of the Internet
                > > Infancy. Anything anyone else wants to contribute,
                > > please step up! Don't worry if it has errors - my
                > > work certainly has errors, and I repair them as they
                > > are brought to my attention or learn more
                > >
                > > Bill
                > >

                > > > From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                > > > Date: 2005/03/01 Tue PM 03:06:23 EST
                > > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                > > > Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census
                > > &Gazetteer Available Online
                > > >

                > > > Ditto ... I too 'doinked' around at that site, but
                > > > with the language barrier, I felt pretty silly.
                > > Any
                > > > further info would be greatly appreciated.
                > > Thanks! I
                > > > did plug my surname into what seemed to me to be
                > > the
                > > > search box and one hit did come up -- but I
                > > couldn't
                > > > figure out what it was or where to go next.
                > > >

                > > > Caye

                > > the
                > > 1691
                > > that

                > > Magyar
                > > of
                > > means
                > > etc.

                > > web

                > > Census,
                > > no
                > > transcriptions
                > > transcriptions

                > > for

                > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                > > send blank email to
                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Bohdana Badzio
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
                  Bill,

                  thank you for the explanations. I greatly appreciate your time and
                  effort.

                  I see how you work with the village search. I tried my villages (in
                  the Transcarpathia, incidentally), and they were there, both in the
                  1715 census and in some earlier ones. The surname search worked as
                  well (I found that the search is sensitive to the diacritical marks,
                  but it accepts the * as a wild-cart!).

                  What I initially hoped to do was to browse through the 17th-century
                  censuses the same way it is possible to do with the 1715 census. But
                  I think they must be incorporated into "Urbaria et Conscriptiones",
                  and are not browsable.

                  These are wonderful resources (let's hope they stay freely available
                  for quite some time). Before today, the earliest record for my area
                  was the 1775 Urbarium, available on FHL microfilms.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
                    I think you are right. The Urbarials all seem to be bundled together.
                    Combined with the cryptic titles, it doesn't lend itself to browsing. If
                    you find a way, let me know. Thanks,

                    ______________
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > > • The 1715 Census is now available online at no fee via
                    Arcanum -
                    > > These are
                    > > > actual scans of all the individual pages and transcriptions of
                    the
                    > > original
                    > > > census document. The transcriptions are computer-searchable.
                    > > Thanks to
                    > > > Peter Nagy for the "heads up." This may be a limited time
                    offer!
                    > > > • 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial Census transcriptions are also
                    online
                    > > available
                    > > > at no fee via Arcanum. These are transcriptions ONLY. The
                    > > transcriptions
                    > > > are computer-searchable. This may be also be a limited time
                    offer!

                    > > > I would very much like to hear how they work for you. Happy

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • James McGrath
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
                      Hi everyone! I did a search and found someone listed
                      in the 1715 taxation records that looks likely to be
                      an ancestor of mine. You can find the records in
                      question by searching under Antolik. He comes up
                      (Marczin Antolik) in the listing for the village of
                      Kolbach, which is where my ancestors were from.

                      Even though my colleague in the next office is a
                      classicist, I still am having difficulty deciphering
                      the document, both because of handwriting and because
                      Lating from the 18th century is different from that of
                      ancient Rome.

                      So, can anyone help me figure out what it is that this
                      individual had 3 of, and what the 3 letters after his
                      name indicate? I am presuming it doesn't mean he was
                      an engineer! :)

                      Thanks for any help you can give me!

                      James

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Carol
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
                        Thanks, Bill, for posting the site for the Hungarian Census, etc. I have
                        been playing around for more than an hour and found both my paternal and
                        maternal grandparents' surnames in the area where they lived, probably the
                        same village for that matter. I had genealogical research done on both of
                        these families and got back as far as the late 1700s. Don't know where I
                        will go next with what I've found. Maybe I will look for the other side of
                        their families. I love the old handwriting - kind of reminds me of colonial
                        American records I've researched. Anyway - grea fun.
                        Carol
                      • Jan Ammann
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
                          Hello Bill..........

                          I have to plead to "not understanding" where I can find the Dvsorszak Gazetteer. The way you talk about it below it appears on the arcanun site but I have not found it there. Where do you bring it up?? I have found the 1715 census but have yet to find any entries for the 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial census. One of my villages is Jobahaza but it is not there and I had hoped it would be.

                          Anyway, thanks for all your assistance.

                          Cheers, Jan

                          Also online is the

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
                            Dvsorszak Gazetteer is published by Pecs University, NOT by Arcanum.
                            1. Go here http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/dvorzsak_gazetteer.htm for my
                            instructions on its use.
                            2. Go here http://kt.lib.pte.hu/konyvtar/kt03110501/tartalom.html to access
                            the gazetteer pages.

                            3. You cannot "browse" for earlier census - the titles do not lend itself to
                            discovery the way the 1715 census does.
                            4. In a global search, you may not find your village entries for every
                            Urbarial census for three reasons that come quickly to mind: a) It's simply
                            not there, b) it wasn't enumerated separately (may have been part of another
                            location) or c) It's been misspelled or another spelling you are unaware of
                            was used. Remember, "correct name" is a relative term in genealogy.

                            In the case of village misspellings, it is likely it was transcribed in
                            error. My suggestion is to do a wildcard search. In the case of Try
                            "Jobah*", "Jobaha*", "Joba*", or if you are really desperate, try "Job*".
                            If that fails, search for adjacent villages and scour the results. Estate
                            records are grouped together, so nearby villages should show. If this
                            fails, try a larger nearby town.

                            I will be interested in hearing (via this group or privately) what you
                            discover. Good luck!

                            ______________
                            Bill Tarkulich

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
                              James,

                              Inq. is an acronym for inquilinus,

                              the interpretation of this term depends on the context, but in principle
                              it is a farmer, land tenant.

                              Peter

                              --
                              Cilistovska 20
                              931 01 Samorin

                              tel: +421 31 560 0641
                              mobile: +421 905 490 552
                              http://www.centroconsult.sk
                            • James McGrath
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
                                Thank you, Peter! Now that I've found the term, there
                                are a few sites online that help explain the social
                                structure in general terms.

                                Any suggestions on what the column with the '3' in it
                                indicates would still be welcome...

                                James

                                --- Peter Nagy <nagy@...> wrote:

                                > James,
                                >
                                > Inq. is an acronym for inquilinus,
                                >
                                > the interpretation of this term depends on the
                                > context, but in principle
                                > it is a farmer, land tenant.
                                >
                                > Peter
                                >
                                > --
                                > Cilistovska 20
                                > 931 01 Samorin
                                > Slovak Republic
                                >
                                > tel: +421 31 560 0641
                                > mobile: +421 905 490 552
                                > http://www.centroconsult.sk

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Jan Ammann
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005
                                  Hi Bill........

                                  Before I even get started I have to say I got a good laugh out of your statement to me about searching for the village "Jobahaza". You gave me some examples and then you said, "if you are really desperate" ........well, I have to say that I thought everybody who searches in this part of Eastern Europe stays in "a desperate state".........at least, I do..........smile.........grin.

                                  You mentioned that if any of us decided to click on one of the specialized menus instead of a global search in the 1715 or other census we were to pass on our info. So here is mine!

                                  Well, I attempted one and so will share with the list. On the left side on the drop down menu of the opening page, I selected "on Az 1715-osszeiras". I went to a page with a large blank space on a green field. Here is how I have deciphered the fields/spaces.

                                  1. B�rhol az adatb�zisban = means "Anywhere in the database"
                                  2. Helys�g = means "place or locality"
                                  3. Lipszky-f�le helys�gn�v = means "_____ toward locality". I wasn't able to translate "Lipszky"
                                  4. 1913-as helys�gn�v = means "1913-as to place/locality"
                                  5. 1913-as megyebeoszt�s = means "1913 as county arrangement/apportionment"
                                  6. Mai hivatalos helys�gn�v = means "today's official place"
                                  7. V�s�rhely = means "market/fair place"
                                  8. Ad�z�k - means "impose taxes/rates"

                                  Kifejez�sek kapcsolata a mez�n bel�l: means and this is a guess of sorts: "Expression/word that have relation with the fields". I have to spoof myself here because at first I thought it meant meadows.......smile......but I believe it means "as fields in a computer space".

                                  a mez�k k�z�tt: means "fields inbetween"

                                  The three choices are: "es" which means "and" ~ "vagy" which means "or" ~ "nem" means "no/not".

                                  Now, if you click on the arrows which are placed at the end of each field, the right side of the screen has long........long.........long lists which are slow to go through. There is a long list of numbers in different digits.......then it starts with "a" and seems to be a variety of words....names of people...nouns....even some verbs. It is a cumbersome list. I have never made it through the entire list. Oh, and of course, all of this is at the website: www.arcanum.hu/mol.

                                  And the word at the end: "Kereses" means "Look"........

                                  I would definitely not call this a tutorial.........just a "naive guide" to what may be in this page. So hopefully, someone a lot smarter than me will take this to a higher level. Again, thanks to this list which is always friendly and helpful.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Jan

                                  Great news! Several 17th and 18th Century Magyar Census images and/or
                                  transcriptions are now available online.
                                  � The 1715 Census is now available online at no fee via Arcanum - These are
                                  actual scans of all the individual pages and transcriptions of the original
                                  census document. The transcriptions are computer-searchable. Thanks to
                                  Peter Nagy for the "heads up." This may be a limited time offer!
                                  � 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial Census transcriptions are also online available
                                  at no fee via Arcanum. These are transcriptions ONLY. The transcriptions
                                  are computer-searchable. This may be also be a limited time offer!

                                  I would very much like to hear how they work for you. Happy Hunting!
                                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm#new

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                • Peter Nagy
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                    Jan,

                                    I am fluent in Hungarian and I intend to draft a tutorial, but this week
                                    I am very busy. You and Bill Tarkulich have done a good start. Only few
                                    comments:
                                    The Lipszky is a reference to Lipszky gazetteer.

                                    You wrote:

                                    >Now, if you click on the arrows which are placed at the end of each field, the right side of the screen has long........long.........long lists which are slow to go through. There is a long list of numbers in different digits.......then it starts with "a" and seems to be a variety of words....names of people...nouns....even some verbs. It is a cumbersome list. I have never made it through the entire list.

                                    This list is very helpful, but its use is very tricky. Here is na example:
                                    You wish to search the name of the taxpayer, there is a field with name
                                    "Adózók". You have to click to the green arrow located right for the
                                    field. After some time (depending on the server workload and speed of
                                    your connection) a new list on the right page of the screen will be
                                    loaded "Az Adózók mezőben előforduló szavak" - here are shown all the
                                    surname variations included in the database. You have now to move the
                                    cursor to any item in this list. You can move through the list using
                                    navigation keys of your keyboard, but also you can do quick jumps to the
                                    desired letter by hitting the alphabetic keys. Pressing "t" you will
                                    jump to the surname "Taák". Pressing the second key "u" you will
                                    undertake next jump to "tuba". etc. After you have selected your
                                    surname, you have double click on the selected name and this will be
                                    pasted to the surname field. There is now way back, thus you must start
                                    new search pressing the green arrow button. The similar procedure is to
                                    be used for remaining fields.

                                    Let me please know, if it was understandable.

                                    Peter

                                    --
                                    Cilistovska 20
                                    931 01 Samorin

                                    tel: +421 31 560 0641
                                    mobile: +421 905 490 552
                                    http://www.centroconsult.sk
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                      Thank you Jan! - If you don't mind, I'll post your remarks on the web page.
                                      We'll go back someday and edit it, after everyone's initial investigations
                                      settle down.

                                      ______________
                                      Bill Tarkulich

                                      Before I even get started I have to say I got a good laugh out of your
                                      statement to me about searching for the village "Jobahaza". You gave me
                                      some examples and then you said, "if you are really desperate" ........well,
                                      I have to say that I thought everybody who searches in this part of Eastern
                                      Europe stays in "a desperate state".........at least, I
                                      do..........smile.........grin.

                                      You mentioned that if any of us decided to click on one of the specialized
                                      menus instead of a global search in the 1715 or other census we were to pass
                                      on our info. So here is mine!

                                      Well, I attempted one and so will share with the list. On the left side on
                                      the drop down menu of the opening page, I selected "on Az 1715-osszeiras".
                                      I went to a page with a large blank space on a green field. Here is how I
                                      have deciphered the fields/spaces.

                                      1. Bárhol az adatbázisban = means "Anywhere in the database" 2. Helység =
                                      means "place or locality" 3. Lipszky-féle helységnév = means "_____ toward
                                      locality". I wasn't able to translate "Lipszky" 4. 1913-as helységnév =
                                      means "1913-as to place/locality" 5. 1913-as megyebeosztás = means "1913 as
                                      county arrangement/apportionment" 6. Mai hivatalos helységnév = means
                                      "today's official place" 7. Vásárhely = means "market/fair place" 8.
                                      Adózók - means "impose taxes/rates"

                                      Kifejezések kapcsolata a mezõn belül: means and this is a guess of sorts:
                                      "Expression/word that have relation with the fields". I have to spoof
                                      myself here because at first I thought it meant meadows.......smile......but
                                      I believe it means "as fields in a computer space".

                                      a mezõk között: means "fields inbetween"

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                        Hello Bill....

                                        You are most welcome. It's just a little "payback" for all the help this list has given me. You are very brave to post this on your web page! I have done some work on the other specialized menus on arcanum and will post them if and when I finish them. It is always a struggle with Hungarian language.

                                        Cheers..............Jan

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                          Hello Peter........Thanks for the Lipszky word. I thought it was a proper name but was not sure. And yes...........thank you very much........I do understand your instructions about the long, long, long list on the right side of the screen. Your instructions will help me "literally fly through it" and that is very helpful. It is too bad you do not live in Texas as I would probably lock you in a room and give you all the "Hungarian stuff" I have yet to try and translate!! And you would be happy as I am a good cook!!! Just kidding, of course!

                                          Thank you again for your very precise and understandable way to "navigate the long, long, long lists!" And I am sure we all look forward to your tutorial.

                                          Cheers, Jan

                                          Peter Nagy wrote...

                                          You wrote:

                                          >Now, if you click on the arrows which are placed at the end of each field, the right side of the screen has long........long.........long lists which are slow to go through. There is a long list of numbers in different digits.......then it starts with "a" and seems to be a variety of words....names of people...nouns....even some verbs. It is a cumbersome list. I have never made it through the entire list.

                                          This list is very helpful, but its use is very tricky. Here is na example:
                                          You wish to search the name of the taxpayer, there is a field with name
                                          "Ad�z�k". You have to click to the green arrow located right for the
                                          field. After some time (depending on the server workload and speed of
                                          your connection) a new list on the right page of the screen will be
                                          loaded "Az Ad�z�k mez�ben el�fordul� szavak" - here are shown all the
                                          surname variations included in the database. You have now to move the
                                          cursor to any item in this list. You can move through the list using
                                          navigation keys of your keyboard, but also you can do quick jumps to the
                                          desired letter by hitting the alphabetic keys. Pressing "t" you will
                                          jump to the surname "Ta�k". Pressing the second key "u" you will

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                            Dear Jan, Bill and others,

                                            I invite you to comment the draft of 1715 census guide. It is not yet
                                            linked to other centroconsult pages. The URL is:
                                            http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html

                                            Peter

                                            --
                                            Cilistovska 20
                                            931 01 Samorin

                                            tel: +421 31 560 0641
                                            mobile: +421 905 490 552
                                            http://www.centroconsult.sk
                                          • Jan Ammann
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                              Hello Peter......

                                              First of all, the page is very well constructed. The way you set up the area/space that needs to filled in with your family data is excellent. By placing the English words alongside the Hungarian words you have created an "easy and almost fool-proof" method of finding your information. I consider this the "best part of the whole page".

                                              Then, by telling us how to navigate the long, long lists, you have helped us manage our time more effectively by not having to "needlessly search". You make it look very easy. And the instructions for jumping from alphabet to alphabet is excellent.

                                              And, of course, the examples are the "icing on the cake".........everyone should be able to now go through this section of Arcanum with speed and accuracy. And the showing of the villages where the Kozlia name occured just reinforces your method of presentation. You have done it all very effectively yet with simple and uncluttered language. (Aside to Janet.....any connection??)

                                              I feel very honored that my name is at the bottom of the page alongside Bill Tarkulich. And that you used my very rudimentary tutorial is itself very gratifying to me. You guys are the "pros".........Thank you for letting an amateur like myself in!!

                                              Cheers and many thanks!

                                              Jan

                                            • bbadzio@look.ca
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                                                I wonder if anyone knows whether there are any plans (by Arcanum or
                                                others) to put the 1767-1773 Urbarium census on-line.

                                                Thank you,

                                                Bohdana
                                              • Paula
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                                                  I too have found 4 villages in Békés megye with possible family
                                                  memebers. The easiest way I found was to do a surname search, with
                                                  and without the umlauts. It will not only bring up the 1715 census
                                                  but the ubarial records down below. Not that I can read them. I did
                                                  print my info off and also the actual written pages so I have
                                                  something to go on later.

                                                  paula

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                                                    I see 1773 in there. Do a search on "1773"

                                                    ______________
                                                    Bill Tarkulich

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Mar 6, 2005
                                                      Thank you, Bill, for your suggestion.

                                                      I don't believe, however, that I see what I'm looking for. Just to clarify
                                                      what Urbarium I mean, it is the one that is found in FHL catalog:

                                                      *********************************
                                                      Title: Urbéri tabellák, 1767-1773
                                                      Authors: Magyarország. Helytartótanács (Main Author)

                                                      Notes: Az eredeti iratok mikrofilmre vétele Budapesten a Magyar Országos
                                                      Levéltárban történt.
                                                      Feudal land tenancy census records of Hungary, the so-called "Urbarium" or
                                                      "Urbéri tabellák", a document that defines the goods and services that a
                                                      serf was obligated to give to the feudal lord. Includes names of
                                                      landowners and serfs. Arranged by counties, and within the counties by
                                                      villages in alphabetical order. Includes primarily the years 1767-1773,
                                                      with some entries and the index covering the years 1723-1848. Some areas
                                                      that were in Hungary when these records were kept are now in Slovakia,
                                                      Romania and Ukraine
                                                      *************************

                                                      When I searched Arcanum for "1773", 142 hits came up. Part of the titles
                                                      looked similar to this:

                                                      **Urbaria et Conscriptiones/IRREGESTRATA/UC 4/UC 4 : 17**,

                                                      and the other part - to this:

                                                      **A középkori Magyarország levéltári forrásainak adatbázisa/U szekció:
                                                      DIPLOMATIKAI FÉNYKÉPGYÛJTEMÉNY/Magyarország/Vas Megyei Levéltár/DF
                                                      262095**

                                                      Just to make sure that this Urbarium was not "hidden" (meaning that it
                                                      could not be browsed, only searched), I searched the whole database for
                                                      the surnames I had just recorded from the microfilm copy of the Urbarium.
                                                      There were many I did not find.

                                                      Of course, none of what I just said proves that the Urbarium I'm looking
                                                      for is not on the Arcanum site, but I have my doubts that it is there...

                                                      Will be grateful for any further information.

                                                      Bohdana