Military Records

  • Gary Costel
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
      I would like to know how one can go about finding military records from
      about the 1860's.

      My great-great-grandfather, Joannes Kalman, was born 11JUN1843 in Farkasfalu
      (Vlkova), Szepes County. My great-great-grandmother, Katarina Bockaj, was
      born 24NOV1849 in Abrahamfalu, Szepes County. Both were Roman Catholic. I
      have been unable to find their marriage record or the baptismal records for
      their first 4 children; including that of my great-grandmother, Mary Kalman
      (born abt 1869).

      The FHC film includes the villages of Vlkova, Abrahamovce, Pikovce, and
      Levkovce in Szepes County. I did find both baptismal records (1843 & 1849)
      in this film, but no marriage record, nor baptismal records of their
      children.

      Joannes and Katarina appear once again around 1883 in the village of
      Kortvelyes (Spissky Hrusov), Szepes County. So between the years 1843-1883,
      I have no idea re his whereabouts.

      Joannes had several siblings, including a brother, Ferents Kalman, whom I
      found in Durand (Tvarozna), Szepes County. According to Ferents' marriage
      record, he was a soldier, and it gave the number of his division in which he
      was serving.

      I am assuming that the same probably holds true for my Joannes Kalman. That
      is, he served in the military, and his marriage record, and birth records
      for several of his children will be found in whatever town / village that he
      was stationed.

      Now, how does one find theses military records, and how much information is
      given in them?

      Thanks in advance!

      Gary Costel

      Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
      Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
      Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
      Stefancin, Yurkiv

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
        Pre-1867 - Records (for Slovakia) are centrally maintained at the Vienna War
        Archives (Österreichisches Staatsarchiv Kriegarchiv) Note 9.
        see: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military_records_in_upper_hungar.htm

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
          I located (only abt 3 pages) miltary records for Dubravka on film at
          LDS. I found little of use to me.

          Tarkulich wrote on then subject. Try his web site.
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          If you haven't seen the 1869 Hungarian Census records for your
          villages, they are very informative.
        • Carl Kotlarchik
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
            Does anybody know if the Austrian Archives have records such as their
            Grundbuchbatter and the Musterlisten und Standestrabellen which
            include the military records for Upper Hungary districts including
            what is now Slovakia? I have been trying to search for the LDS films
            that would include these military records for the time period around
            the 1860's. I believe I know my ancestors military regiment (6 Huszar
            Ezred) which is the 6th Hussar Regiment. I have been told that the
            Austrian Archives would have the combined A-H records until about
            1867. Unfortunately, all I can find in the catalogs are records for
            the Austrian districts and the Czech regions. I can't seem to find
            any mention of the Hungarian districts which would include the Slovak
            areas. I also have not been successful in finding the films for these
            records in the LDS catalog. In fact, I can't find any of the A-H
            military records in the LDS catalog although I have been told that
            many of them have been filmed. I know that the LDS have filmed some
            records for Slovakia but I believe these are only for records in the
            Zemplen County. My ancestor was from the Gomor County. Any
            suggestions would be much appreciated.
          • f12hte
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
              My maternal grandfather's mother was Anna Kalman and he (Joseph S
              Hrebenar born 1873)was from Spissky Hrusov. We have a photograph of
              Anna (Kalman) Hrebenar. Could there be a connection with your g grand
              Mary Kalman?