Re: [S-R] SANDORFY and Sandorf (Prievaly)

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005
      Dear Marilyn,
      As you know already, the former Sandorf is now called Prievaly.
      The word Sandorf is german. I do not know what it originates from or what was supposed to be the meaning, but it has no connection ( in terms of meaning) to Prievaly.The meaning of Prievaly would be something like a place where you "roll over".
      This village is known since 1439 when it had a name Svancendorf which indicates the village was most probably set up by the german colonists. Svancendorf means "Tail village".
      The first settlers always had a man called Locator, who was responsible ( based on the contratct with the Landlord) for setting up the village and get together enough people.
      This man had a function of a Mayor. This office was inheritable. More often than not, these men took the name of the village.
      So if you today find a name which originates in the name of some village, you can pretty safely assume one of his ancestors was a Mayor in that place. This was , however many centuries ago and can not be documented.
      As you see, there was time enough for the members of the family to spread over the country. There were much more migrations in those times than we tend to believe.

      Vladimir