RE: [S-R] Church Record Search Philosophy (Wanted) Nyzni Caj

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
      Here is the research approach I used along with the conclusion I drew:

      1. Reference info:
      Alternate village name: Nyzny Caj, alsocsaj
      Former County: Abov (Abauj-Torna)
      Former District: Fuzeri

      2. Extracts from "Prehlad matrík na Slovensku do zostátnenia matricnej
      agendy":
      Reformed records are in BOHDANOVCE
      Evangelical records are in KOSICE
      Greek Catholic records were in ZDOBA (present-day this village is a
      component of Sady nad Torysou)
      Jewish Records kept in ZDANA.
      It appears to me that Prehlad is incomplete for this village, since no RC
      cross reference is noted. On to the next steps:

      3. 1910 Census
      1910 Population: 218; 130 Magyar, 88 Slovak. 141 Roman Catholic, 28 Greek
      Catholic, 34 Reformed.

      4. 1877 Gazetteer
      According to an 1877 gazetteer of Hungary, neither Also or Felso Csaj had a
      church in its village. The Roman Catholics (98) were affiliated with the
      parish in ALSO-MISLYE. (Present-day NIZNA MYSLA)

      The FHL does have films of the RC records for NIZNA MYSLA.
      http://tinyurl.com/3td5h I would start there.

      Good Luck!

      Bill Tarkulich