Re: [S-R] Translation: cause of death

  • John Venham
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
      short list:

      gyengeseg = weakness

      ismeretlen = unknown

      megfagyas = maybe 'frozen'

      vizi betegseg = lit. 'water illness'

      Hope it helps

      -- Alan Antoska <aantoska@...> wrote:

      > Would anyone please be able to translate any the
      > following
      > causes of death, extracted as accurately as
      > possible.
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > agyvali gynladaj
      > gyengesig = weak ___?
      > has folyas
      > has ragas
      > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
      > irzikorsag
      > ismeretlen
      > megfagyas
      > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
      > nehez nyavalya
      > nemkivanato
      > nemkivantos
      > nemkivantos a neje
      > okleles
      > sebek
      > virikosag
      > vizi korsag
      > vizi betegseg
      >

      > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
      > Movies.
      > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

      =====
      "The Journey is the Reward"

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • dorothy
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
        Thank you, however the terms
        Por~
        Por~no
        Por~ lego~ny
        Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
        Any help is appreciated.
        Dorothy

        > Translation of Church Records
        > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
        > translations.
        >
        > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala
      • Gary Costel
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
          This site translates from Latin to English, and may be of some help:

          http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

          Gary Costel

          Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
          Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
          Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
          Stefancin, Yurkiv

          _____

          Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
          Any help is appreciated.
          Dorothy

          > Translation of Church Records
          > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
          > translations.
          >
          > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295rkvca/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1108622713/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12krhdj14/*http://clk.
          atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108536313948425>

          :HM/A=2532114/rand=863844050>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
            Does anyone have any idea of what the Latin "spanus" might be? It follows
            names, as in occupation.

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
              Dear list,
              Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
              and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
              The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
              The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
              the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
              Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
              residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
              listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
              following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
              Any other suggestions?
              Thanks,
              Dorothy
            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                Por = peasant
                Por no is his wife
                Por legeny is his son
                Vladimir

                > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
                > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                > The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
                > The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                > the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location or
                > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
                > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
                > Any other suggestions?
                > Thanks,
                > Dorothy

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                > http://www.eset.sk

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Alan Antoska <aantoska@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Would anyone please be able to translate any the following
                  > causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                  > Thanks in advance
                  >
                  > agyvali gynladaj
                  > gyengesig = weak ___?
                  > has folyas
                  > has ragas
                  > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
                  > irzikorsag
                  > ismeretlen
                  > megfagyas
                  > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
                  > nehez nyavalya
                  > nemkivanato
                  > nemkivantos
                  > nemkivantos a neje
                  > okleles
                  > sebek
                  > virikosag
                  > vizi korsag
                  > vizi betegseg

                  ahoj or szia Alan,

                  You request causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                  That is not possible because medical terms used in church records are
                  not necessarily those used today by M.D.s and you are not using Magyar
                  diacritic letters.

                  agyláz = brain fever
                  agyvérzés = stroke, apoplexy

                  gyengesig
                  gyenge = weak
                  gyengeség = weakness,feebleness

                  has = stomach, abdomen, belly
                  folyas
                  ragas

                  megfagyas
                  megfagy = to freeze

                  nehez nyavalya
                  nehéz = difficult, hard, heavy
                  nyavlyog = to be in poor health

                  mell= chest
                  mellkas = chest

                  nemkivantos a neje
                  nemkívánatos = undesirable + a neje = his good lady

                  seb = wound, injury, abrasion
                  -ek = plural ending

                  vizi = water
                  kór = disease

                  vizi betegseg
                  beteg = sick, ill, diseased
                  betegség = illiness, sickness, disease

                  Frank K

                  > http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                • dorothy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                    Vladimir, Thank you.
                    > Por = peasant
                    > Por no is his wife
                    > Por legeny is his son
                    > Vladimir
                    >
                    > > Dear list,
                    > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                    > those websites
                    > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me. The
                    > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The column
                    > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On the
                    > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                    > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
                    > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                    > column are
                    > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                    > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                    > legony. Any
                    > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                    > > Dorothy
                    > >

                    > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                    > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                    > > http://www.eset.sk

                  • Frank
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, dorothy <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                      > Vladimir, Thank you.
                      > > Por = peasant
                      > > Por no is his wife
                      > > Por legeny is his son
                      > > Vladimir
                      > >
                      > > > Dear list,
                      > > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                      > > those websites
                      > > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                      The
                      > > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The
                      column
                      > > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                      the
                      > > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                      > > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location
                      or
                      > > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                      > > column are
                      > > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                      > > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                      > > legony. Any
                      > > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                      > > > Dorothy

                      Dorothy,

                      I don't understand what language you have ?
                      Just like Slovak and Slavic languages which use diacritic letters,
                      Magyar also uses diacritics.
                      If por , por no, and por legeny are in some language I don't recognize
                      the words ?
                      Is the word actually spelled "por" ?
                      az o" means his
                      Perhaps archaic Magyar ?
                      in Magyar
                      peasant, farm worker, farmer, laborer is paraszt or földmu"ves
                      no" is female, wife, woman
                      legény is young man,lad
                      fia means son , son of

                      Frank K

                      > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                      > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > > >

                      > > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________
                      > > >
                      > > > Tato sprava bola preverena antivirusovym systemom NOD32.
                      > > > http://www.eset.sk

                    • dorothy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                        Frank,
                        The document is a photocopy of baptismal, marriage and death records for
                        Frydman, Szepes in 1846.
                        They are spelled like this
                        Por~
                        Por~no
                        Por~ legony
                        There are other terms in the same column
                        Zseller~
                        Zseller~no
                        So that would be
                        Tenant farmer
                        Tenant farmers wife
                        Yes?
                        I believe the language is Hungarian as I can pick out words from the
                        heading of the columns from the website that translates headings from
                        Hungarian, Latin and Slovak church records. The spellings for most of
                        the words are close, some are complely different. Would the language in
                        1846 be archaic Magyar? Could it be a colloquial instead of formal form
                        of the language or a dialect maybe?

                      • dorothy
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                          Frank,
                          Sorry, it's late. I signed your name at the end of the message instead
                          of mine.
                          Dorothy