Translation: cause of death

  • Alan Antoska
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
      Would anyone please be able to translate any the following
      causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
      Thanks in advance

      agyvali gynladaj
      gyengesig = weak ___?
      has folyas
      has ragas
      (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
      irzikorsag
      ismeretlen
      megfagyas
      mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
      nehez nyavalya
      nemkivanato
      nemkivantos
      nemkivantos a neje
      okleles
      sebek
      virikosag
      vizi korsag
      vizi betegseg

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
        I believe you would get some great, contextually correct translations over
        at the Hungary mailing list. There is a lot of brainpower focused strictly
        on all things Hungary. This would be right up their alley.
        http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.ceeurope.hunga
        ry.general

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Would anyone please be able to translate any the following causes of death,
        extracted as accurately as possible. Thanks in advance

        agyvali gynladaj
        gyengesig = weak ___?
        has folyas
        has ragas
        (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
        irzikorsag
        ismeretlen
        megfagyas
        mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
        nehez nyavalya
        nemkivanato
        nemkivantos
        nemkivantos a neje
        okleles
        sebek
        virikosag
        vizi korsag
        vizi betegseg

        http://au.movies.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • John Venham
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
          short list:

          gyengeseg = weakness

          ismeretlen = unknown

          megfagyas = maybe 'frozen'

          vizi betegseg = lit. 'water illness'

          Hope it helps

          -- Alan Antoska <aantoska@...> wrote:

          > Would anyone please be able to translate any the
          > following
          > causes of death, extracted as accurately as
          > possible.
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > agyvali gynladaj
          > gyengesig = weak ___?
          > has folyas
          > has ragas
          > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
          > irzikorsag
          > ismeretlen
          > megfagyas
          > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
          > nehez nyavalya
          > nemkivanato
          > nemkivantos
          > nemkivantos a neje
          > okleles
          > sebek
          > virikosag
          > vizi korsag
          > vizi betegseg
          >

          > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
          > Movies.
          > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

          =====
          "The Journey is the Reward"

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • dorothy
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
            Thank you, however the terms
            Por~
            Por~no
            Por~ lego~ny
            Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
            Any help is appreciated.
            Dorothy

            > Translation of Church Records
            > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
            > translations.
            >
            > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala
          • Gary Costel
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
              This site translates from Latin to English, and may be of some help:

              http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

              Gary Costel

              Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
              Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
              Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
              Stefancin, Yurkiv

              _____

              Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
              Any help is appreciated.
              Dorothy

              > Translation of Church Records
              > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
              > translations.
              >
              > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295rkvca/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1108622713/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12krhdj14/*http://clk.
              atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108536313948425>

              :HM/A=2532114/rand=863844050>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                Does anyone have any idea of what the Latin "spanus" might be? It follows
                names, as in occupation.

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                  Dear list,
                  Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
                  and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                  The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
                  The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                  the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                  Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
                  residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
                  listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                  following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
                  Any other suggestions?
                  Thanks,
                  Dorothy
                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                    Por = peasant
                    Por no is his wife
                    Por legeny is his son
                    Vladimir

                    > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
                    > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                    > The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
                    > The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                    > the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                    > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location or
                    > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
                    > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                    > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
                    > Any other suggestions?
                    > Thanks,
                    > Dorothy

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                    > http://www.eset.sk

                  • Frank
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Alan Antoska <aantoska@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Would anyone please be able to translate any the following
                      > causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                      > Thanks in advance
                      >
                      > agyvali gynladaj
                      > gyengesig = weak ___?
                      > has folyas
                      > has ragas
                      > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
                      > irzikorsag
                      > ismeretlen
                      > megfagyas
                      > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
                      > nehez nyavalya
                      > nemkivanato
                      > nemkivantos
                      > nemkivantos a neje
                      > okleles
                      > sebek
                      > virikosag
                      > vizi korsag
                      > vizi betegseg

                      ahoj or szia Alan,

                      You request causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                      That is not possible because medical terms used in church records are
                      not necessarily those used today by M.D.s and you are not using Magyar
                      diacritic letters.

                      agyláz = brain fever
                      agyvérzés = stroke, apoplexy

                      gyengesig
                      gyenge = weak
                      gyengeség = weakness,feebleness

                      has = stomach, abdomen, belly
                      folyas
                      ragas

                      megfagyas
                      megfagy = to freeze

                      nehez nyavalya
                      nehéz = difficult, hard, heavy
                      nyavlyog = to be in poor health

                      mell= chest
                      mellkas = chest

                      nemkivantos a neje
                      nemkívánatos = undesirable + a neje = his good lady

                      seb = wound, injury, abrasion
                      -ek = plural ending

                      vizi = water
                      kór = disease

                      vizi betegseg
                      beteg = sick, ill, diseased
                      betegség = illiness, sickness, disease

                      Frank K

                      > http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                    • dorothy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                        Vladimir, Thank you.
                        > Por = peasant
                        > Por no is his wife
                        > Por legeny is his son
                        > Vladimir
                        >
                        > > Dear list,
                        > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                        > those websites
                        > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me. The
                        > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The column
                        > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On the
                        > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                        > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
                        > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                        > column are
                        > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                        > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                        > legony. Any
                        > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                        > > Dorothy
                        > >

                        > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                        > > http://www.eset.sk

                      • Frank
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, dorothy <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                          > Vladimir, Thank you.
                          > > Por = peasant
                          > > Por no is his wife
                          > > Por legeny is his son
                          > > Vladimir
                          > >
                          > > > Dear list,
                          > > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                          > > those websites
                          > > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                          The
                          > > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The
                          column
                          > > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                          the
                          > > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                          > > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location
                          or
                          > > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                          > > column are
                          > > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                          > > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                          > > legony. Any
                          > > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                          > > > Dorothy

                          Dorothy,

                          I don't understand what language you have ?
                          Just like Slovak and Slavic languages which use diacritic letters,
                          Magyar also uses diacritics.
                          If por , por no, and por legeny are in some language I don't recognize
                          the words ?
                          Is the word actually spelled "por" ?
                          az o" means his
                          Perhaps archaic Magyar ?
                          in Magyar
                          peasant, farm worker, farmer, laborer is paraszt or földmu"ves
                          no" is female, wife, woman
                          legény is young man,lad
                          fia means son , son of

                          Frank K

                          > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                          > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > > >

                          > > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________
                          > > >
                          > > > Tato sprava bola preverena antivirusovym systemom NOD32.
                          > > > http://www.eset.sk

                        • dorothy
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                            Frank,
                            The document is a photocopy of baptismal, marriage and death records for
                            Frydman, Szepes in 1846.
                            They are spelled like this
                            Por~
                            Por~no
                            Por~ legony
                            There are other terms in the same column
                            Zseller~
                            Zseller~no
                            So that would be
                            Tenant farmer
                            Tenant farmers wife
                            Yes?
                            I believe the language is Hungarian as I can pick out words from the
                            heading of the columns from the website that translates headings from
                            Hungarian, Latin and Slovak church records. The spellings for most of
                            the words are close, some are complely different. Would the language in
                            1846 be archaic Magyar? Could it be a colloquial instead of formal form
                            of the language or a dialect maybe?

                          • dorothy
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                              Frank,
                              Sorry, it's late. I signed your name at the end of the message instead
                              of mine.
                              Dorothy