Translation of terms

  • dorothy
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
      Dear List,
      I have come across the terms in vital records in Szepes zupa
      The title is Krisztus Urunk szu~lete~se ula~n 1846 e~rben.
      The heading of the column these words appear in is
      E~letneme's lakhelye
      Por~
      Por~no
      Por~ lego~ny
      What do these terms mean?
      Is this Hungarian?

      Also I have a photo of a headstone that reads
      TU SPOCIVA
      AGNESA IGLAR
      R D MASKALA
      Then there are the birth and death dates.
      What does tu spociva mean and what does
      R D Maskala mean?

      Thanks for any assistance,
      Dorothy
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
        Translation of Church Records
        translations.

        Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala
      • Jan Ammann
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
          Hello J.......

          Basically, it means "violent death brain injury"............

          "eroszakos halak agy sertes".......to break it down....eroszakos means "violent".......halak means "death".......Agy means "brain" and sertes means "injury".

          I would guess this man was hit on the head.....by another person perhaps because the word "violent" is in the phrase. It could also just mean he had sustained some type of accidental injury to the head area which brought about his death. In a sense, it could possibly mean a bad case of epilepsy.....which is violent when untreated. Back in the 1800's not much was known of this illness. This is just a guess.......I would go with the violent death brain injury. Hope this helps you.

          Jan

          "J." <cousinjanie1004@...> wrote:

          Dear Group of Scholars:

          Can anyone translate a phrase used to list the cause of death for a
          male, aged 42 years, who died April 7, 1892? This is how it was
          written in Greek Catholic church records of a Szepes county village:

          "eroszakos halak agy sertes"

          The only current translation that I have been offered:

          "by force bed offence"

          This particular translation is such an odd phrase in English. Is there
          an alternate way to interpret this? Does anyone know what this cause
          of death means in modern day terminology?

          Thanks for any help!

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          document.write('');

        • Alan Antoska
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
            Would anyone please be able to translate any the following
            causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
            Thanks in advance

            agyvali gynladaj
            gyengesig = weak ___?
            has folyas
            has ragas
            (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
            irzikorsag
            ismeretlen
            megfagyas
            mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
            nehez nyavalya
            nemkivanato
            nemkivantos
            nemkivantos a neje
            okleles
            sebek
            virikosag
            vizi korsag
            vizi betegseg

            http://au.movies.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
              I believe you would get some great, contextually correct translations over
              at the Hungary mailing list. There is a lot of brainpower focused strictly
              on all things Hungary. This would be right up their alley.
              http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.ceeurope.hunga
              ry.general

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Would anyone please be able to translate any the following causes of death,
              extracted as accurately as possible. Thanks in advance

              agyvali gynladaj
              gyengesig = weak ___?
              has folyas
              has ragas
              (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
              irzikorsag
              ismeretlen
              megfagyas
              mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
              nehez nyavalya
              nemkivanato
              nemkivantos
              nemkivantos a neje
              okleles
              sebek
              virikosag
              vizi korsag
              vizi betegseg

              http://au.movies.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • John Venham
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
                short list:

                gyengeseg = weakness

                ismeretlen = unknown

                megfagyas = maybe 'frozen'

                vizi betegseg = lit. 'water illness'

                Hope it helps

                -- Alan Antoska <aantoska@...> wrote:

                > Would anyone please be able to translate any the
                > following
                > causes of death, extracted as accurately as
                > possible.
                > Thanks in advance
                >
                > agyvali gynladaj
                > gyengesig = weak ___?
                > has folyas
                > has ragas
                > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
                > irzikorsag
                > ismeretlen
                > megfagyas
                > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
                > nehez nyavalya
                > nemkivanato
                > nemkivantos
                > nemkivantos a neje
                > okleles
                > sebek
                > virikosag
                > vizi korsag
                > vizi betegseg
                >

                > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
                > Movies.
                > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

                =====
                "The Journey is the Reward"

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • dorothy
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                  Thank you, however the terms
                  Por~
                  Por~no
                  Por~ lego~ny
                  Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
                  Any help is appreciated.
                  Dorothy

                  > Translation of Church Records
                  > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
                  > translations.
                  >
                  > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala
                • Gary Costel
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                    This site translates from Latin to English, and may be of some help:

                    http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

                    Gary Costel

                    Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
                    Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
                    Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
                    Stefancin, Yurkiv

                    _____

                    Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
                    Any help is appreciated.
                    Dorothy

                    > Translation of Church Records
                    > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
                    > translations.
                    >
                    > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295rkvca/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1108622713/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12krhdj14/*http://clk.
                    atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108536313948425>

                    :HM/A=2532114/rand=863844050>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                      Does anyone have any idea of what the Latin "spanus" might be? It follows
                      names, as in occupation.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                        Dear list,
                        Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
                        and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                        The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
                        The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                        the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                        Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
                        residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
                        listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                        following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
                        Any other suggestions?
                        Thanks,
                        Dorothy
                      • Vladimir Bohinc
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                          Por = peasant
                          Por no is his wife
                          Por legeny is his son
                          Vladimir

                          > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
                          > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                          > The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
                          > The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                          > the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                          > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location or
                          > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
                          > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                          > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
                          > Any other suggestions?
                          > Thanks,
                          > Dorothy

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >

                          > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                          > http://www.eset.sk

                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Alan Antoska <aantoska@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > Would anyone please be able to translate any the following
                            > causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                            > Thanks in advance
                            >
                            > agyvali gynladaj
                            > gyengesig = weak ___?
                            > has folyas
                            > has ragas
                            > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
                            > irzikorsag
                            > ismeretlen
                            > megfagyas
                            > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
                            > nehez nyavalya
                            > nemkivanato
                            > nemkivantos
                            > nemkivantos a neje
                            > okleles
                            > sebek
                            > virikosag
                            > vizi korsag
                            > vizi betegseg

                            ahoj or szia Alan,

                            You request causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                            That is not possible because medical terms used in church records are
                            not necessarily those used today by M.D.s and you are not using Magyar
                            diacritic letters.

                            agyláz = brain fever
                            agyvérzés = stroke, apoplexy

                            gyengesig
                            gyenge = weak
                            gyengeség = weakness,feebleness

                            has = stomach, abdomen, belly
                            folyas
                            ragas

                            megfagyas
                            megfagy = to freeze

                            nehez nyavalya
                            nehéz = difficult, hard, heavy
                            nyavlyog = to be in poor health

                            mell= chest
                            mellkas = chest

                            nemkivantos a neje
                            nemkívánatos = undesirable + a neje = his good lady

                            seb = wound, injury, abrasion
                            -ek = plural ending

                            vizi = water
                            kór = disease

                            vizi betegseg
                            beteg = sick, ill, diseased
                            betegség = illiness, sickness, disease

                            Frank K

                            > http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                          • dorothy
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                              Vladimir, Thank you.
                              > Por = peasant
                              > Por no is his wife
                              > Por legeny is his son
                              > Vladimir
                              >
                              > > Dear list,
                              > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                              > those websites
                              > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me. The
                              > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The column
                              > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On the
                              > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                              > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
                              > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                              > column are
                              > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                              > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                              > legony. Any
                              > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                              > > Dorothy
                              > >

                              > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                              > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                              > > http://www.eset.sk

                            • Frank
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, dorothy <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                                > Vladimir, Thank you.
                                > > Por = peasant
                                > > Por no is his wife
                                > > Por legeny is his son
                                > > Vladimir
                                > >
                                > > > Dear list,
                                > > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                                > > those websites
                                > > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                                The
                                > > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The
                                column
                                > > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                                the
                                > > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                                > > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location
                                or
                                > > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                                > > column are
                                > > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                                > > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                                > > legony. Any
                                > > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                                > > > Dorothy

                                Dorothy,

                                I don't understand what language you have ?
                                Just like Slovak and Slavic languages which use diacritic letters,
                                Magyar also uses diacritics.
                                If por , por no, and por legeny are in some language I don't recognize
                                the words ?
                                Is the word actually spelled "por" ?
                                az o" means his
                                Perhaps archaic Magyar ?
                                in Magyar
                                peasant, farm worker, farmer, laborer is paraszt or földmu"ves
                                no" is female, wife, woman
                                legény is young man,lad
                                fia means son , son of

                                Frank K

                                > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                                > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > > >

                                > > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________
                                > > >
                                > > > Tato sprava bola preverena antivirusovym systemom NOD32.
                                > > > http://www.eset.sk

                              • dorothy
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                  Frank,
                                  The document is a photocopy of baptismal, marriage and death records for
                                  Frydman, Szepes in 1846.
                                  They are spelled like this
                                  Por~
                                  Por~no
                                  Por~ legony
                                  There are other terms in the same column
                                  Zseller~
                                  Zseller~no
                                  So that would be
                                  Tenant farmer
                                  Tenant farmers wife
                                  Yes?
                                  I believe the language is Hungarian as I can pick out words from the
                                  heading of the columns from the website that translates headings from
                                  Hungarian, Latin and Slovak church records. The spellings for most of
                                  the words are close, some are complely different. Would the language in
                                  1846 be archaic Magyar? Could it be a colloquial instead of formal form
                                  of the language or a dialect maybe?

                                • dorothy
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                    Frank,
                                    Sorry, it's late. I signed your name at the end of the message instead
                                    of mine.
                                    Dorothy