translation: cause of death in 1892

  • J.
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
      Dear Group of Scholars:

      Can anyone translate a phrase used to list the cause of death for a
      male, aged 42 years, who died April 7, 1892? This is how it was
      written in Greek Catholic church records of a Szepes county village:

      "eroszakos halak agy sertes"

      The only current translation that I have been offered:

      "by force bed offence"

      This particular translation is such an odd phrase in English. Is there
      an alternate way to interpret this? Does anyone know what this cause
      of death means in modern day terminology?

      Thanks for any help!
    • dorothy
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
        Dear List,
        I have come across the terms in vital records in Szepes zupa
        The title is Krisztus Urunk szu~lete~se ula~n 1846 e~rben.
        The heading of the column these words appear in is
        E~letneme's lakhelye
        Por~
        Por~no
        Por~ lego~ny
        What do these terms mean?
        Is this Hungarian?

        Also I have a photo of a headstone that reads
        TU SPOCIVA
        AGNESA IGLAR
        R D MASKALA
        Then there are the birth and death dates.
        What does tu spociva mean and what does
        R D Maskala mean?

        Thanks for any assistance,
        Dorothy
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
          Translation of Church Records
          translations.

          Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala
        • Jan Ammann
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
            Hello J.......

            Basically, it means "violent death brain injury"............

            "eroszakos halak agy sertes".......to break it down....eroszakos means "violent".......halak means "death".......Agy means "brain" and sertes means "injury".

            I would guess this man was hit on the head.....by another person perhaps because the word "violent" is in the phrase. It could also just mean he had sustained some type of accidental injury to the head area which brought about his death. In a sense, it could possibly mean a bad case of epilepsy.....which is violent when untreated. Back in the 1800's not much was known of this illness. This is just a guess.......I would go with the violent death brain injury. Hope this helps you.

            Jan

            "J." <cousinjanie1004@...> wrote:

            Dear Group of Scholars:

            Can anyone translate a phrase used to list the cause of death for a
            male, aged 42 years, who died April 7, 1892? This is how it was
            written in Greek Catholic church records of a Szepes county village:

            "eroszakos halak agy sertes"

            The only current translation that I have been offered:

            "by force bed offence"

            This particular translation is such an odd phrase in English. Is there
            an alternate way to interpret this? Does anyone know what this cause
            of death means in modern day terminology?

            Thanks for any help!

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            document.write('');

          • Alan Antoska
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
              Would anyone please be able to translate any the following
              causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
              Thanks in advance

              agyvali gynladaj
              gyengesig = weak ___?
              has folyas
              has ragas
              (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
              irzikorsag
              ismeretlen
              megfagyas
              mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
              nehez nyavalya
              nemkivanato
              nemkivantos
              nemkivantos a neje
              okleles
              sebek
              virikosag
              vizi korsag
              vizi betegseg

              http://au.movies.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
                I believe you would get some great, contextually correct translations over
                at the Hungary mailing list. There is a lot of brainpower focused strictly
                on all things Hungary. This would be right up their alley.
                http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.ceeurope.hunga
                ry.general

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                Would anyone please be able to translate any the following causes of death,
                extracted as accurately as possible. Thanks in advance

                agyvali gynladaj
                gyengesig = weak ___?
                has folyas
                has ragas
                (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
                irzikorsag
                ismeretlen
                megfagyas
                mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
                nehez nyavalya
                nemkivanato
                nemkivantos
                nemkivantos a neje
                okleles
                sebek
                virikosag
                vizi korsag
                vizi betegseg

                http://au.movies.yahoo.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • John Venham
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
                  short list:

                  gyengeseg = weakness

                  ismeretlen = unknown

                  megfagyas = maybe 'frozen'

                  vizi betegseg = lit. 'water illness'

                  Hope it helps

                  -- Alan Antoska <aantoska@...> wrote:

                  > Would anyone please be able to translate any the
                  > following
                  > causes of death, extracted as accurately as
                  > possible.
                  > Thanks in advance
                  >
                  > agyvali gynladaj
                  > gyengesig = weak ___?
                  > has folyas
                  > has ragas
                  > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
                  > irzikorsag
                  > ismeretlen
                  > megfagyas
                  > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
                  > nehez nyavalya
                  > nemkivanato
                  > nemkivantos
                  > nemkivantos a neje
                  > okleles
                  > sebek
                  > virikosag
                  > vizi korsag
                  > vizi betegseg
                  >

                  > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
                  > Movies.
                  > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

                  =====
                  "The Journey is the Reward"

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • dorothy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                    Thank you, however the terms
                    Por~
                    Por~no
                    Por~ lego~ny
                    Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
                    Any help is appreciated.
                    Dorothy

                    > Translation of Church Records
                    > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
                    > translations.
                    >
                    > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala
                  • Gary Costel
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                      This site translates from Latin to English, and may be of some help:

                      http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

                      Gary Costel

                      Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
                      Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
                      Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
                      Stefancin, Yurkiv

                      _____

                      Are not on this site. These are the terms I would like translated.
                      Any help is appreciated.
                      Dorothy

                      > Translation of Church Records
                      > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
                      > translations.
                      >
                      > Here lies Agnesa Iglar nee Maskala

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295rkvca/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1108622713/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12krhdj14/*http://clk.
                      atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108536313948425>

                      :HM/A=2532114/rand=863844050>

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                        Does anyone have any idea of what the Latin "spanus" might be? It follows
                        names, as in occupation.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                          Dear list,
                          Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
                          and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                          The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
                          The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                          the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                          Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
                          residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
                          listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                          following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
                          Any other suggestions?
                          Thanks,
                          Dorothy
                        • Vladimir Bohinc
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                            Por = peasant
                            Por no is his wife
                            Por legeny is his son
                            Vladimir

                            > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out those websites
                            > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                            > The language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846.
                            > The column heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                            > the website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                            > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location or
                            > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this column are
                            > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                            > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~ legony.
                            > Any other suggestions?
                            > Thanks,
                            > Dorothy

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >

                            > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                            > http://www.eset.sk

                          • Frank
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Alan Antoska <aantoska@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > Would anyone please be able to translate any the following
                              > causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                              > Thanks in advance
                              >
                              > agyvali gynladaj
                              > gyengesig = weak ___?
                              > has folyas
                              > has ragas
                              > (NB "has" = abdomen, "ragas" = biting, caustic)
                              > irzikorsag
                              > ismeretlen
                              > megfagyas
                              > mellhar tyalob = melhartya _____?
                              > nehez nyavalya
                              > nemkivanato
                              > nemkivantos
                              > nemkivantos a neje
                              > okleles
                              > sebek
                              > virikosag
                              > vizi korsag
                              > vizi betegseg

                              ahoj or szia Alan,

                              You request causes of death, extracted as accurately as possible.
                              That is not possible because medical terms used in church records are
                              not necessarily those used today by M.D.s and you are not using Magyar
                              diacritic letters.

                              agyláz = brain fever
                              agyvérzés = stroke, apoplexy

                              gyengesig
                              gyenge = weak
                              gyengeség = weakness,feebleness

                              has = stomach, abdomen, belly
                              folyas
                              ragas

                              megfagyas
                              megfagy = to freeze

                              nehez nyavalya
                              nehéz = difficult, hard, heavy
                              nyavlyog = to be in poor health

                              mell= chest
                              mellkas = chest

                              nemkivantos a neje
                              nemkívánatos = undesirable + a neje = his good lady

                              seb = wound, injury, abrasion
                              -ek = plural ending

                              vizi = water
                              kór = disease

                              vizi betegseg
                              beteg = sick, ill, diseased
                              betegség = illiness, sickness, disease

                              Frank K

                              > http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                            • dorothy
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                Vladimir, Thank you.
                                > Por = peasant
                                > Por no is his wife
                                > Por legeny is his son
                                > Vladimir
                                >
                                > > Dear list,
                                > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                                > those websites
                                > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me. The
                                > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The column
                                > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On the
                                > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                                > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhely�k meaning location or
                                > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                                > column are
                                > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                                > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                                > legony. Any
                                > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                                > > Dorothy
                                > >

                                > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                                > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > >

                                > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________

                                > > http://www.eset.sk

                              • Frank
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, dorothy <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                                  > Vladimir, Thank you.
                                  > > Por = peasant
                                  > > Por no is his wife
                                  > > Por legeny is his son
                                  > > Vladimir
                                  > >
                                  > > > Dear list,
                                  > > > Thank you for all your suggestions. I have checked out
                                  > > those websites
                                  > > > and others and still the translation of these terms escape me.
                                  The
                                  > > > language is Hungarian. The date of the record is 1846. The
                                  column
                                  > > > heading is E~letneme's lakhelye on the record copy I have. On
                                  the
                                  > > > website for "Church Record Translations English Hungatian Latin
                                  > > > Slovak" lakhelye is close to the term lakhelyük meaning location
                                  or
                                  > > > residence. I don't see anything close to E~letneme. In this
                                  > > column are
                                  > > > listed Towns and occupations. I have translated some. Still the
                                  > > > following I haven't been able to find. Por~, por~no, por~
                                  > > legony. Any
                                  > > > other suggestions? Thanks,
                                  > > > Dorothy

                                  Dorothy,

                                  I don't understand what language you have ?
                                  Just like Slovak and Slavic languages which use diacritic letters,
                                  Magyar also uses diacritics.
                                  If por , por no, and por legeny are in some language I don't recognize
                                  the words ?
                                  Is the word actually spelled "por" ?
                                  az o" means his
                                  Perhaps archaic Magyar ?
                                  in Magyar
                                  peasant, farm worker, farmer, laborer is paraszt or földmu"ves
                                  no" is female, wife, woman
                                  legény is young man,lad
                                  fia means son , son of

                                  Frank K

                                  > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                                  > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  > > >

                                  > > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.991 (20050203) __________
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Tato sprava bola preverena antivirusovym systemom NOD32.
                                  > > > http://www.eset.sk

                                • dorothy
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                    Frank,
                                    The document is a photocopy of baptismal, marriage and death records for
                                    Frydman, Szepes in 1846.
                                    They are spelled like this
                                    Por~
                                    Por~no
                                    Por~ legony
                                    There are other terms in the same column
                                    Zseller~
                                    Zseller~no
                                    So that would be
                                    Tenant farmer
                                    Tenant farmers wife
                                    Yes?
                                    I believe the language is Hungarian as I can pick out words from the
                                    heading of the columns from the website that translates headings from
                                    Hungarian, Latin and Slovak church records. The spellings for most of
                                    the words are close, some are complely different. Would the language in
                                    1846 be archaic Magyar? Could it be a colloquial instead of formal form
                                    of the language or a dialect maybe?

                                  • dorothy
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                                      Frank,
                                      Sorry, it's late. I signed your name at the end of the message instead
                                      of mine.
                                      Dorothy