Re: [S-R] Given Names

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bbadzio@l... wrote:
      > Gary,
      >
      > the first name should read PARASCEVA. It is an Eastern Slavic name,
      which
      > used to be much more popular than it is now (at least, in Ukraine).
      It
      > originates from a Greek word which means "the day before Sabbath".
      >
      > Glaxa, perhaps, is short for GLYKERIA, from Greek for sweet. I have
      not
      > verified this one yet.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Bohdana

      Saint Parasceva
      Also known as Petca Parasceva the New of Bulgaria; Parasceva;
      Paraskeva the Younger; Paraskeva Pyatnitsa Memorial
      Name day 14 October

      Born to wealthy, noble, pious landowners. During services at age ten,
      at the Church of the Holy Theotokos, she heard the words, Whosoever
      will come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and
      follow me. They had a profound effect on the girl, and became the
      subject of her meditations.
      To follow her calling, Petca left her parents, her wealth, and status,
      and ran away to Constantinople. There she spent her time in prayer,
      meditating on the words of Christ and the relics of the saints.
      Her parents travelled from city to city, unsuccessfully searching for
      the girl.
      To elude them she travelled to Chalcedon, then lived for five years at
      the church of the Most Holy Theotokos in Heraclea Pontica near the
      Black Sea.
      She spent her days and nights in prayer, living a severely austere
      life.
      She received visions of the Virgin Mary during her prayers.

      Glaxa
      Letter x is pron. ck in Ukr. and kh in Rus.
      | J| y e p |/| |/|
      Glykeria
      Gender: Feminine
      Usage: Greek
      Name Day 13 May
      Derived from Greek glykys meaning "sweet".

      Johannes XIII Glykys was patriarch of Byzantine Constantinople
      (1315-1323)

      Frank K

      > > PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County
      > >

      > > GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes
      County.
      > > The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath
      > >
      > > Both records appear to be written in Latin.
      > >

      > > Gary Costel
      > >
      > > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky,
      Bockaj,
      > > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv,
      Kalman,
      > > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik,
      Ribar,
      > > Stefancin, Yurkiv
      > >

      > > _____

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129q2qprk/M=298184.6018725.7038619.300117
      6/D=gr

      oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1108246874/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kqhda19/*http:
      //clk.

      atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=110816047431933
      7>

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gro
      ups/S=
      > > :HM/A=2532114/rand=437885606>