RE: [S-R] Given Names

  • Gary Costel
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
      PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County

      GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes County.
      The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath

      Both records appear to be written in Latin.

      Gary Costel

      Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
      Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
      Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
      Stefancin, Yurkiv

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
        Gary,

        the first name should read PARASCEVA. It is an Eastern Slavic name, which
        used to be much more popular than it is now (at least, in Ukraine). It
        originates from a Greek word which means "the day before Sabbath".

        Glaxa, perhaps, is short for GLYKERIA, from Greek for sweet. I have not
        verified this one yet.

        Regards,

        Bohdana

        > PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County
        >

        > GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes County.
        > The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath
        >
        > Both records appear to be written in Latin.
        >

        > Gary Costel
        >
        > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
        > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
        > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
        > Stefancin, Yurkiv
        >

        > _____

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bbadzio@l... wrote:
          > Gary,
          >
          > the first name should read PARASCEVA. It is an Eastern Slavic name,
          which
          > used to be much more popular than it is now (at least, in Ukraine).
          It
          > originates from a Greek word which means "the day before Sabbath".
          >
          > Glaxa, perhaps, is short for GLYKERIA, from Greek for sweet. I have
          not
          > verified this one yet.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Bohdana

          Saint Parasceva
          Also known as Petca Parasceva the New of Bulgaria; Parasceva;
          Paraskeva the Younger; Paraskeva Pyatnitsa Memorial
          Name day 14 October

          Born to wealthy, noble, pious landowners. During services at age ten,
          at the Church of the Holy Theotokos, she heard the words, Whosoever
          will come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and
          follow me. They had a profound effect on the girl, and became the
          subject of her meditations.
          To follow her calling, Petca left her parents, her wealth, and status,
          and ran away to Constantinople. There she spent her time in prayer,
          meditating on the words of Christ and the relics of the saints.
          Her parents travelled from city to city, unsuccessfully searching for
          the girl.
          To elude them she travelled to Chalcedon, then lived for five years at
          the church of the Most Holy Theotokos in Heraclea Pontica near the
          Black Sea.
          She spent her days and nights in prayer, living a severely austere
          life.
          She received visions of the Virgin Mary during her prayers.

          Glaxa
          Letter x is pron. ck in Ukr. and kh in Rus.
          | J| y e p |/| |/|
          Glykeria
          Gender: Feminine
          Usage: Greek
          Name Day 13 May
          Derived from Greek glykys meaning "sweet".

          Johannes XIII Glykys was patriarch of Byzantine Constantinople
          (1315-1323)

          Frank K

          > > PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County
          > >

          > > GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes
          County.
          > > The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath
          > >
          > > Both records appear to be written in Latin.
          > >

          > > Gary Costel
          > >
          > > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky,
          Bockaj,
          > > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv,
          Kalman,
          > > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik,
          Ribar,
          > > Stefancin, Yurkiv
          > >

          > > _____

          Service