Re: [S-R] Given Names

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
      I have a hunch they are not given names. What language was the record written in? Please give us more context: What was the geographic and ethnic orientation of the village?
      bt

      > From: "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@...>
      > Date: 2005/02/11 Fri PM 04:49:53 EST
      > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [S-R] Given Names
      >

      > I came across these 2 given names in Baptismal records, but do not know what
      > they translate into as I have never heard them before. I've checked several
      > websites listing old Hungarian / Slovak / Latin names, but these names do
      > not appear in the lists. The 1st one listed is a female, and the second one
      > I believe is female, too.
      >

      > Parascera
      > Glaxa
      >

      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Gary Costel
      >
      > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
      > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
      > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
      > Stefancin, Yurkiv

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Gary Costel
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
        PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County

        GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes County.
        The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath

        Both records appear to be written in Latin.

        _____

        I have a hunch they are not given names. What language was the record
        written in? Please give us more context: What was the geographic and ethnic
        orientation of the village?
        bt

        > From: "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@...>
        > Date: 2005/02/11 Fri PM 04:49:53 EST
        > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [S-R] Given Names
        >

        > I came across these 2 given names in Baptismal records, but do not know
        what
        > they translate into as I have never heard them before. I've checked
        several
        > websites listing old Hungarian / Slovak / Latin names, but these names do
        > not appear in the lists. The 1st one listed is a female, and the second
        one
        > I believe is female, too.
        >

        > Parascera
        > Glaxa
        >

        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Gary Costel
        >
        > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
        > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
        > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
        > Stefancin, Yurkiv

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129q2qprk/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1108246874/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kqhda19/*http://clk.
        atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108160474319337>

        :HM/A=2532114/rand=437885606>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • bbadzio@look.ca
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
          Gary,

          the first name should read PARASCEVA. It is an Eastern Slavic name, which
          used to be much more popular than it is now (at least, in Ukraine). It
          originates from a Greek word which means "the day before Sabbath".

          Glaxa, perhaps, is short for GLYKERIA, from Greek for sweet. I have not
          verified this one yet.

          Regards,

          Bohdana

          > PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County
          >

          > GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes County.
          > The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath
          >
          > Both records appear to be written in Latin.
          >

          > Gary Costel
          >
          > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
          > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
          > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
          > Stefancin, Yurkiv
          >

          > _____

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bbadzio@l... wrote:
            > Gary,
            >
            > the first name should read PARASCEVA. It is an Eastern Slavic name,
            which
            > used to be much more popular than it is now (at least, in Ukraine).
            It
            > originates from a Greek word which means "the day before Sabbath".
            >
            > Glaxa, perhaps, is short for GLYKERIA, from Greek for sweet. I have
            not
            > verified this one yet.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Bohdana

            Saint Parasceva
            Also known as Petca Parasceva the New of Bulgaria; Parasceva;
            Paraskeva the Younger; Paraskeva Pyatnitsa Memorial
            Name day 14 October

            Born to wealthy, noble, pious landowners. During services at age ten,
            at the Church of the Holy Theotokos, she heard the words, Whosoever
            will come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and
            follow me. They had a profound effect on the girl, and became the
            subject of her meditations.
            To follow her calling, Petca left her parents, her wealth, and status,
            and ran away to Constantinople. There she spent her time in prayer,
            meditating on the words of Christ and the relics of the saints.
            Her parents travelled from city to city, unsuccessfully searching for
            the girl.
            To elude them she travelled to Chalcedon, then lived for five years at
            the church of the Most Holy Theotokos in Heraclea Pontica near the
            Black Sea.
            She spent her days and nights in prayer, living a severely austere
            life.
            She received visions of the Virgin Mary during her prayers.

            Glaxa
            Letter x is pron. ck in Ukr. and kh in Rus.
            | J| y e p |/| |/|
            Glykeria
            Gender: Feminine
            Usage: Greek
            Name Day 13 May
            Derived from Greek glykys meaning "sweet".

            Johannes XIII Glykys was patriarch of Byzantine Constantinople
            (1315-1323)

            Frank K

            > > PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County
            > >

            > > GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes
            County.
            > > The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath
            > >
            > > Both records appear to be written in Latin.
            > >

            > > Gary Costel
            > >
            > > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky,
            Bockaj,
            > > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv,
            Kalman,
            > > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik,
            Ribar,
            > > Stefancin, Yurkiv
            > >

            > > _____

            Service