Re: Where is Tisovec - Szabo family

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccfox21" <ccfox21@a...> wrote:

      > A distant relative told me that my greatgrandmother, Elizabeth Szabo
      > and her sister, Anna Szabo, came to the US in the 1890's from
      > Tisovec, Hanusovce, Czech (now Slovakia). Can anyone tell me where
      > this is and what it is now called.

      Szabo is a fairly common surname.
      EIR lists 244 Anna Szabo who emigrated to US 1892-1924.
      What was the documentation for Tisovec, oral family history ?
      Tisovec (Sk) Tiazolc (H) located 135 miles ENE of Bratislava and
      Hanus^ovce nad Topl'ou (Sk) Tapoly'hanusfalva/Hanusfalva (H)
      located 209 miles ENE of Bratislava are two different places.
      There is also a Spis^ské Hanus^ovce (Sk) Hanusfalva (H) located
      168 miles ENE of Bratislava.

      In 1898 an Erzsébet (H) Elizabeth (E) Szabo, age 15 (b. about 1884)
      had emigrated to her sister's ? address at 189 Passaic St, Passaic NJ.
      Her Last Residence was Hanusfalu, Hungary. In Magyar -falva,-falu
      means village.
      In 1893 a Anna Szabo , age 19 (b. about 1874) had emigrated to US.
      No image and no text copy of ship manifest so don't know where she
      went ?
      Her Last Residence was Hamofahn which expect was mistranscribed
      Hanusfalu as above.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
        I agree with your comments on the named villages. If you have
        Podrobny Auto Atlas, locate Tisovec and then look south a short
        distance to see Hanovo, just a few scattered chaty along the hillside
        beside the railway tracks.
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
          wrote:

          > I agree with your comments on the named villages. If you have
          > Podrobny Auto Atlas, locate Tisovec and then look south a short
          > distance to see Hanovo, just a few scattered chaty along the
          hillside
          > beside the railway tracks.

          d^akujem

          See Hanovo in Podrobny Auto Atlas and Tisovec as Tiszolcz
          and Klenovec under Klenocz in 1910 Gomor es Kishont varmegye
          map.

          Frank K