Not Tisovec but Tisovo

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
      "Tisovec Hanusovce" are two places that are half the country apart.
      Tisovec is in south-central Slovakia and the former Gomor Megye =
      county. Your Hanusovce is a very small village 2 km south of Tisovec
      and is called Hanovo.

      Tisovec is the post office for Hanovo.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
        TISOVO is so sparsely populated that it will not show up on Mapquest.
        However, it is located halfway to Rimavska Pila, where the road and
        river cross.
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccfox21" <ccfox21@a...> wrote:

          > A distant relative told me that my greatgrandmother, Elizabeth Szabo
          > and her sister, Anna Szabo, came to the US in the 1890's from
          > Tisovec, Hanusovce, Czech (now Slovakia). Can anyone tell me where
          > this is and what it is now called.

          Szabo is a fairly common surname.
          EIR lists 244 Anna Szabo who emigrated to US 1892-1924.
          What was the documentation for Tisovec, oral family history ?
          Tisovec (Sk) Tiazolc (H) located 135 miles ENE of Bratislava and
          Hanus^ovce nad Topl'ou (Sk) Tapoly'hanusfalva/Hanusfalva (H)
          located 209 miles ENE of Bratislava are two different places.
          There is also a Spis^ské Hanus^ovce (Sk) Hanusfalva (H) located
          168 miles ENE of Bratislava.

          In 1898 an Erzsébet (H) Elizabeth (E) Szabo, age 15 (b. about 1884)
          had emigrated to her sister's ? address at 189 Passaic St, Passaic NJ.
          Her Last Residence was Hanusfalu, Hungary. In Magyar -falva,-falu
          means village.
          In 1893 a Anna Szabo , age 19 (b. about 1874) had emigrated to US.
          No image and no text copy of ship manifest so don't know where she
          went ?
          Her Last Residence was Hamofahn which expect was mistranscribed
          Hanusfalu as above.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
            I agree with your comments on the named villages. If you have
            Podrobny Auto Atlas, locate Tisovec and then look south a short
            distance to see Hanovo, just a few scattered chaty along the hillside
            beside the railway tracks.
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
              wrote:

              > I agree with your comments on the named villages. If you have
              > Podrobny Auto Atlas, locate Tisovec and then look south a short
              > distance to see Hanovo, just a few scattered chaty along the
              hillside
              > beside the railway tracks.

              d^akujem

              See Hanovo in Podrobny Auto Atlas and Tisovec as Tiszolcz
              and Klenovec under Klenocz in 1910 Gomor es Kishont varmegye
              map.

              Frank K