Where is Tisovec - Szabo family

  • ccfox21
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
      A distant relative told me that my greatgrandmother, Elizabeth Szabo
      and her sister, Anna Szabo, came to the US in the 1890's from
      Tisovec, Hanusovce, Czech (now Slovakia). Can anyone tell me where
      this is and what it is now called.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
        Current Map

        ShtelSeeker will take you to Tisovec via Mapquest.

        Slovak Telephone White Pages
        You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
        them up in the phone book white pages at
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
        three letters of the family name and the area code 047.

        Ladislav Szabó
        Podhradová 177
        Tisovec

        Church Records at LDS Family History Center

        Tisovec church records were NOT found. Next step . . .

        Fiches (Set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page references refer to
        different religions. Most of these church records are available on
        film via your LDS Family History Center.

        Locate your nearest Family History Center and Order Film/fiche
        go there in person. The fiches mentioned above are often on hand.

        Good luck!
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
          "Tisovec Hanusovce" are two places that are half the country apart.
          Tisovec is in south-central Slovakia and the former Gomor Megye =
          county. Your Hanusovce is a very small village 2 km south of Tisovec
          and is called Hanovo.

          Tisovec is the post office for Hanovo.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
            TISOVO is so sparsely populated that it will not show up on Mapquest.
            However, it is located halfway to Rimavska Pila, where the road and
            river cross.
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccfox21" <ccfox21@a...> wrote:

              > A distant relative told me that my greatgrandmother, Elizabeth Szabo
              > and her sister, Anna Szabo, came to the US in the 1890's from
              > Tisovec, Hanusovce, Czech (now Slovakia). Can anyone tell me where
              > this is and what it is now called.

              Szabo is a fairly common surname.
              EIR lists 244 Anna Szabo who emigrated to US 1892-1924.
              What was the documentation for Tisovec, oral family history ?
              Tisovec (Sk) Tiazolc (H) located 135 miles ENE of Bratislava and
              Hanus^ovce nad Topl'ou (Sk) Tapoly'hanusfalva/Hanusfalva (H)
              located 209 miles ENE of Bratislava are two different places.
              There is also a Spis^ské Hanus^ovce (Sk) Hanusfalva (H) located
              168 miles ENE of Bratislava.

              In 1898 an Erzsébet (H) Elizabeth (E) Szabo, age 15 (b. about 1884)
              had emigrated to her sister's ? address at 189 Passaic St, Passaic NJ.
              Her Last Residence was Hanusfalu, Hungary. In Magyar -falva,-falu
              means village.
              In 1893 a Anna Szabo , age 19 (b. about 1874) had emigrated to US.
              No image and no text copy of ship manifest so don't know where she
              went ?
              Her Last Residence was Hamofahn which expect was mistranscribed
              Hanusfalu as above.
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
                I agree with your comments on the named villages. If you have
                Podrobny Auto Atlas, locate Tisovec and then look south a short
                distance to see Hanovo, just a few scattered chaty along the hillside
                beside the railway tracks.
              • Frank
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
                  wrote:

                  > I agree with your comments on the named villages. If you have
                  > Podrobny Auto Atlas, locate Tisovec and then look south a short
                  > distance to see Hanovo, just a few scattered chaty along the
                  hillside
                  > beside the railway tracks.

                  d^akujem

                  See Hanovo in Podrobny Auto Atlas and Tisovec as Tiszolcz
                  and Klenovec under Klenocz in 1910 Gomor es Kishont varmegye
                  map.

                  Frank K