Re: [S-R] Meaning of name ONDRAS

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
      Richard and Vladimir,
      my father's name was Andrew. his father was the Polish variation Andzrej.
      however, my Mom who is Slovak called my Dad, Ondrej. i wonder if this was
      Slovak or Hungarian.
      Noreen

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
        My priest uses the name Andrew -- but his e-mail and
        license plates are Oandrey -- his wife is Rusyn and
        I'm guessing he's either Slovak or Carpatho -- but
        it's what Noreen says -- she's the closest so far.

        Caye

        --- nhasior@... wrote:

        > Richard and Vladimir,
        > my father's name was Andrew. his father was the
        > Polish variation Andzrej.
        > however, my Mom who is Slovak called my Dad,
        > Ondrej. i wonder if this was
        > Slovak or Hungarian.
        > Noreen

        > removed]

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
          Dear Noreen,
          Ondrej is Slovak. Andras is Hungarian.
          Andrej and Ondrej are equivalent, however Ondrej seems to me to be more like a folk version of Andrej.
          In some areas people preferred to use Ondrej instead of Andrej. No other significance. A nice old name.

          http://www.eset.sk

        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
            In a message dated 1/25/05 1:56:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            konekta@... writes:

            > A nice old name.
            > Vladimir

            Vladimir,
            yes, and i remember my Dad as a nice guy. (with a nice name). i am glad
            that you said that Ondrej was Slovak.
            Noreen

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
              Dear Noreen,
              There is an old latin proverb : "Nomen est omen", meaning your name will determine your destiny or character.
              Remember "A boy named Sue"?
              In movies a Slater is a bad boy, a Wayne is a good one. Holywood casters know this very good, so based on names of the persons you can determine at the beginning of the movie, who will be the bad one. It goes for both, firat or last names.
              A Zorro could never have a name Hrdlicka :-)
              There are a lot of signs out there, but most of the people are not aware of them.
              Vladimir