Meaning of name ONDRAS

  • ingenieurjansko
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2005
      Hello searchers!
      Maybe anyone can explain me the meaning of the family name ONDRAS
      Thanks
      Richard from Austria
      [still searching JANSCSO , JANSCO , JANCSO in and around
      CADCA,Slovakia (a town near the Polisch and the Czech boarder)]
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2005
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ingenieurjansko" <r.j.news@i...>
        wrote:

        > Hello searchers!
        > Maybe anyone can explain me the meaning of the family name ONDRAS
        > Thanks
        > Richard from Austria
        > [still searching JANSCSO , JANSCO , JANCSO in and around
        > CADCA,Slovakia (a town near the Polisch and the Czech boarder)]

        First names
        Andrew (English)
        András (Hungarian)
        Andreas (Latin)(German)
        Andrej/Ondrej (Slovak)

        300 surnames Ondrás^, Ondras^ek, Ondras^ík, Ondras^ina, Ondrás^ka are
        found today in Slovakia spelled with Slovak diacritics.

        Also 1,000 variations of the surname Ondrej spelled Ondrejka,
        Ondrejás^ etc. listed in the Slovakia telephone directory.

        The Poles derived over 120 surnames from the first their first
        name Jan by just changing the name ending.

        First names
        John (English)
        János (Hungarian)
        Joannes (Latin)
        Johann (German)
        Jan (Slovak) (Polish)

        The surnames Janscso, Jansco, and Jancso look like Magyar spellings.
        Today the Slovakia telephone directory lists 20 surnames Jancsó,
        Jancso, and Janc^só spelled with Slovak diacritic letters.

        C^adca is located 188 km NE of Bratislava and 28 km distant from the
        regional Slovak Archives located at Bytc^a.

        Richard,

        Ingenieur auf Deutsch.
        Inz^inier auf Slowaken.
        300 Familiennamen bucstabierten Ondrás^, Ondras^ek, Ondras^ík,
        Ondras^ina, Ondrás^ka in Slowakei.
        1000 Familiennamen bucstabierten Ondrejka , Ondrejás^ und mögliche
        Abwandlungen in Slowakei.
        20 Familiennamen bucstabierten Jancso, Jancsó, Janc^só in Slowakei.

        Viel Glück

        Frank Kurcina
      • ingenieurjansko
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2005
          Thanks for all the help - especially to Vladimir and Frank
          Richard
          and for Frank i have transcript it in correct german

          > Richard,
          >
          > Ingenieur auf Deutsch.
          > Inz^inier auf Slowakisch.
          > 300 Familien nennen sich Ondrás^, Ondras^ek, Ondras^ík,
          > Ondras^ina, Ondrás^ka in der Slowakei.
          > 1000 Familien nennen sich Ondrejka , Ondrejás^ und mögliche
          > Abwandlungen davon in der Slowakei.
          > 20 Familiennamen nennen sich Jancso, Jancsó, Janc^só in der
          Slowakei.