Re: Help with village name

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 15, 2005
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dan wanchic" <danzarusyn@h...>
      wrote:
      > I've been looking for descendents of my grandmothers sister,
      > Suska Tej who married a man named Jascur or Yaschur according
      > to my cousin.
      >
      > I've contacted one fellow who's surname is Yaschur. He was told that
      > his grandfather came from a village whose name was pronounced
      > lee-nar-to in Austro-Hungary. He has no idea of the actual spelling.
      >
      > Does anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for a Saris connection.
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > Apple Valley, MN

      Dan

      There are probably a 100 + surname Jas^c^ur bearers in Slovakia.
      (The letter j is pron. as y in both Slovak and Magyar)
      ahoj
      So you can't be sure the village of origin of her husband was actually
      Lenartov or that she also was from there.
      For example, in 1901 a widow Zuzanna Tej, age 51 (b. about 1850)
      had emigrated to US.
      She was from Kiskereszt (H) Krivé (Sk) located in S^aris^.
      Susan (E) Zuzanna, Zuska, Zsuzsa (H) Zuza (Sk) Zuska (P)
      Of course, both village are located in S^aris^ with Lenartov being
      the larger one.

      Frank K

      FREE!
    • kathiraisa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 19 9:30 AM
        Dear List:

        One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik, which was, as per their
        marriage certificate from the village of (what looks like) Ravire Trencsin.
        I have tried googling this name, with several variations, but nothing comes
        up.

        I know that probably nowadays it would have a different name, but I do not
        know how to look further into this.

        Can someone help, please?

        Thanks.
        Kathi-Raisa Petrick

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 19 1:23 PM
          Using the 1828 list of villges, available for viewing at
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ we can hope that you have (at least)
          the first letter right. That provides the following list of
          possibilities that are short names starting with R in the former
          Trencsen Megye = county.

          Radissa, Radola, Radvoszka, Rajecz, Rakova, Rassov, Revfalu, Ribari,
          Ribeny, Roszina, Rovne

          There is also a border village called Revan. See the 1910 map at
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg
          and look on the lower right edge of the green area near the Nyitra
          River.

          Can you scan or fax the original document?
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 20 10:13 AM
            Thanks for sending me the marriage certificate by fax. It is quite
            clear to me that the village name is Rovne, Trencsen Megye for the
            birthplace of the groom.

            The bride was born in Hethars, Saros Megye.

            CENTER (FHC)

            LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and
            deaths for Vel'ke Rovné, Slovakia; formerly Rovne, Trencsén,
            Hungary.

            Krstení 1774-1798 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065940 Item 7 ]
            Krstení 1798-1897 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065941 ]
            Krstení 1897-1901 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065942 Item 1 ]
            Sobášení 1774-1908 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065942 Items 2-3 ]
            Zomrelí 1774-1870 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065942 Item 4 ]
            Zomrelí 1871-1901 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065943 Items 1-2 ]

            LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
            deaths for Lipany, Slovakia, formerly Héthárs, Sáros, Hungary.

            LDS has Parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for
            Lipany, Slovakia, formerly Héthárs, Sáros, Hungary. Film number
            1792019 item 2 is the register of the Roman Catholic church in
            Lipany.

            LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census for Lipany:
            Héthárs (Lipany) FHL INTL Film 2162324 Item 5

            (cont.) Héthárs (Lipany) FHL INTL Film 2153083 Item 1

            Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
            to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
            film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
            research.

            TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
            translations.

            LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
            See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
            details.

            Happy squinting. You are on your way to locating a lot of family
            history.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 20 10:28 AM
              From the earlier message identifying church records for Rovne, we
              know that the current village name is Velke Rovne. It is located
              north of Nagybittse, now called Bytca.

              1910 HUNGARIAN MAP for Rovne
              The old Hungarian map can be found at:
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg

              Look in the dark yellow area for Nagybittse and then go a couple of
              villages north to Rovne. That's your village.

              1910 HUNGARIAN MAP for Hethars
              The old Hungarian map can be found at:
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

              Look in the pink area, left side for Hethars.

              SAVE the maps on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics
              program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise,
              you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names
              that you will likely find in church records.

              CURRENT MAP NAMES

              ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 20 10:36 AM
                SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                You might find Fabik/Fajbik relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone
                by looking them up in the phone book white pages at
                http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first three
                letters of the family name and the area code 041.

                While both spellings appear in the area code, none are in Velke Rovne.
              • jnickel_o
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                  I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:

                  1793886-Úmrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                  Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                  Death #35

                  After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].

                  Name that village! :o)
                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                    Seems clear to me---Beleny, present day village of Belin.

                    Curt B.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

                    > I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:
                    >
                    > 1793886-�mrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                    > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                    > Death #35
                    >
                    > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].
                    >
                    > Name that village! :o)

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                      >>> I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:
                      >
                      > 1793886-�mrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                      > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                      > Death #35
                      >
                      > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].
                      >
                      > Name that village! <<<

                      Easier to simply quote the film reference and let us look at the original.

                      RC/Snina/film #1111 p 100/298.

                      I make it out to be Beleu? of Belen? My suggested candidates using old village names are Belejoc, Belavezse, Belusa.
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                        >>> Seems clear to me---Beleny, present day village of Belin. <<<

                        You may be right but it's a long way from Snina.
                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                          Yes, so it is; and likely one of the reasons the place of origin is given. Most times if it is a nearby village, it is not mentioned at all. The spelling does seem rather clear to me.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                            Outstanding. That was one of the possible spellings I had [Beleny], but I couldn't find a village by that name and thought I was mistaken.

                            thanks very much.

                            > Seems clear to me---Beleny, present day village of Belin.
                            >
                            > Curt B.
                            >
                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:
                            > >
                            > > 1793886-�mrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                            > > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                            > > Death #35
                            > >
                            > > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].
                            > >
                            > > Name that village! :o)

                          • jnickel_o
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010

                              > You may be right but it's a long way from Snina.

                              You certainly make a fair point. I can add that in the earliest church records there were no Kdovicsins in the parish records. I've looked in the church records of some of the surrounding villages where there were RC records and they certainly weren't there.

                              As these things go, you never know for sure until you find the record that proves it. This is a good lead. Whether it actually works is another question.
                            • Janet Kozlay
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                                I am assuming that Beleny/Belin is the village you are seeking.

                                This tiny village of less than 500 people had no church of its own. It was a
                                Hungarian village, mostly of the Reformed faith, with a small number of
                                Roman Catholics. If your Anna was Roman Catholic, you should find her
                                records in the nearby village of Feled (HU)/ Feledince (SK). LDS has those
                                microfilms.

                                If, on the other hand, she was Reformed, the case is more difficult. Those
                                records would have been held at the church in nearby Szutor (HU)/Sutor (SK).
                                Although Sutor had a Reformed church, built in 1810, it looks like it might
                                not have lasted and LDS does not list any records from there.

                                A search for Reformed churches in the area show only ones that are now in
                                Hungary, northwest of Miskolc.

                                You might try writing to the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia to see if
                                they know the whereabouts today of the records from the old church at Sutor:

                                Reformovana Krest. Cirkev na Slovenska

                                Hlavne nam 23, PO Box 78

                                979 01 Rimavska Sobota

                                Slovakia, Europe

                                Email: reformata@...

                                Good luck, Janet

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                                  Thank you. The family has always been listed as RC. There is also the RC Church in Rimavska Sobota. It's a mile further than Feledince but Fedelince is also on the other side of the Rimava River. Parish boundaries are sometimes bounded by rivers. Unfortunately, neither FHL description identifies where Beleny came under.

                                  I'll poke around the we some more to see if I can find something definitive or just order films for both the villages.

                                  Jim

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                  > I am assuming that Beleny/Belin is the village you are seeking.
                                  >

                                  > This tiny village of less than 500 people had no church of its own. It was a
                                  > Hungarian village, mostly of the Reformed faith, with a small number of
                                  > Roman Catholics. If your Anna was Roman Catholic, you should find her
                                  > records in the nearby village of Feled (HU)/ Feledince (SK). LDS has those
                                  > microfilms.
                                  >

                                  > If, on the other hand, she was Reformed, the case is more difficult. Those
                                  > records would have been held at the church in nearby Szutor (HU)/Sutor (SK).
                                  > Although Sutor had a Reformed church, built in 1810, it looks like it might
                                  > not have lasted and LDS does not list any records from there.
                                  >

                                  > A search for Reformed churches in the area show only ones that are now in
                                  > Hungary, northwest of Miskolc.
                                  >

                                  > You might try writing to the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia to see if
                                  > they know the whereabouts today of the records from the old church at Sutor:
                                  >

                                  > Reformovana Krest. Cirkev na Slovenska
                                  >
                                  > Hlavne nam 23, PO Box 78
                                  >
                                  > 979 01 Rimavska Sobota
                                  >
                                  > Slovakia, Europe
                                  >

                                  > Email: reformata@...
                                  >

                                  > Good luck, Janet

                                • Janet Kozlay
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                                    According to the Dvorzsak Gazetteer, Roman Catholics from Beleny attended
                                    the parish at Feled.

                                    Janet

                                    , "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                    > I am assuming that Beleny/Belin is the village you are seeking.
                                    >

                                    > This tiny village of less than 500 people had no church of its own. It was
                                    > Hungarian village, mostly of the Reformed faith, with a small number of
                                    > Roman Catholics. If your Anna was Roman Catholic, you should find her
                                    > records in the nearby village of Feled (HU)/ Feledince (SK). LDS has those
                                    > microfilms.
                                    >

                                    > If, on the other hand, she was Reformed, the case is more difficult. Those
                                    > records would have been held at the church in nearby Szutor (HU)/Sutor
                                    (SK).
                                    > Although Sutor had a Reformed church, built in 1810, it looks like it
                                    might
                                    > not have lasted and LDS does not list any records from there.
                                    >

                                    > A search for Reformed churches in the area show only ones that are now in
                                    > Hungary, northwest of Miskolc.
                                    >

                                    > You might try writing to the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia to see
                                    if
                                    > they know the whereabouts today of the records from the old church at
                                    Sutor:

                                    > Reformovana Krest. Cirkev na Slovenska
                                    >
                                    > Hlavne nam 23, PO Box 78
                                    >
                                    > 979 01 Rimavska Sobota
                                    >
                                    > Slovakia, Europe
                                    >

                                    > Email: reformata@...
                                    >

                                    > Good luck, Janet
                                    >

                                    > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    ] On
                                    > Behalf Of jnickel_o
                                    > Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:51 AM
                                    > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Subject: [S-R] Help with village name
                                    >

                                    > I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in
                                    the
                                    > far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in
                                    > Hungarian and Latin. See:
                                    >
                                    > 1793886-Úmrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                                    > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                                    > Death #35
                                    >
                                    > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village
                                    > [presumably].
                                    >
                                    > Name that village! :o)

                                  • jnickel_o
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 3, 2010
                                      Excellent. I'll get my film order in on Monday and in a few weeks I'll know. The baptismal records for the right years exist [Assuming the FHL description is correct].

                                      Thank you and thanks again to all the helped.

                                      Everyone have a happy fourth and may everyone's sacrificial barbecue go well.

                                      Cheers,