Re: [S-R] Help with village name

  • laco R
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2005
      It could be Lenartov, today district Bardejov, in the past
      Sarisska zupa (county)
      Hungarian name is Lénártó (Le'na'rto')

      ladislav

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2005
        Ladislav & Vladimir,

        Thank you both very much.

        Dan

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
          Here you go ....

          http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

          Try just "Ravire" -- as Trencin is a city of itself.

          If you get nothing, then try both. It will also lead
          you to a map (and the current name if it has
          changed)if you strike it rich. Good luck.

          Caye

          http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
            I will check my reference books when I get home tonight. Looks like the village is in the Trencin district. What was the year of marriage? Knowing the timeframe helps us, since governments and rules changed during each era.

            Other places to look include:
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
              Here are some suggestions:

              Googling small village in Slovakia will yield poor results. If the name exists online, it's buried inside the phonebook or map listings, which are not googled. Maps become a genealogists best friend.

              RACICE which is located in Trencin District. Looks like a close match if the handwriting is bad. It is also the closest match.
              See it on a Slovakia map here http://tinyurl.com/cab4r

              The surname FABIK is found in the Slovakia phonebook.
              Here is how to use the phone book http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

              We also have to check for the Magyar spelling of the village. It's possible it is something all together different.

              Here are the phonebook entries. You can generate them yourself. by searching on the surname FABIK and entering area code 032 (Trencin).

              Alžbeta Fábiková Hámry , Trenčianska Turná
              Dušan Fábik Adamovské Kochanovce
              Emília Fábiková Hámry , Trenčianska Turná
              František Fábik K.Šmidkeho , Trenčín
              Helena Fábiková Za Oravcom , Trenčianska Turná
              Igor Fábik J.Kollára , Nové Mesto nad Váhom
              Ján Fábik Švermova , Trenčín
              Ján Fábik Chocholná Velčice
              Ľubomír Fábik Soblahov
              Marta Fábiková Cintorínska , Trenčianska Turná
              Marta Fábiková Nivka , Trenčianska Turná
              Pavel Fábik Trenčianska Turná
              Peter Fábik novostavba , Trenčianska Turná
              Štefan Fábik Gen.Viesta , Trenčín
              Viera Fábiková Malé Stankovce

              Remember, lots of people moved after WWII. That we found FABIK in the Trencin area at all is encouraging.
              I see a lot of Trencianska Turna entries, but this is only a few KM from Trencin.

              That's all I have time for now.
              Good Luck,
              Bill

            • kathiraisa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 20, 2005
                Hi Bill

                Thank you for all your information and links. Will be looking into it more
                closely. But it seems that the name is/was Rovne Trencsen as per info from
                e-mail posted by John.

                the surname is really spelled FAYBIK. Do you think that it originally could
                have been FABYK? I keep wondering about how to pronounce. I tend to
                pronounce the Slovak names as I would pronounce Portuguese.

                Thanks a lot!
                Kathi

              • kathiraisa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 20, 2005
                  Thanks, Caye!

                  Everyone has helped so much!

                  Kathi

                  --- kathiraisa@... wrote:
                  > Dear List:
                  >
                  > One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik,
                  > which was, as per their
                  > marriage certificate from the village of (what looks
                  > like) Ravire Trencsin.
                  > I have tried googling this name, with several
                  > variations, but nothing comes
                  > up.
                  >
                  > I know that probably nowadays it would have a
                  > different name, but I do not
                  > know how to look further into this.
                  >
                  > Can someone help, please?
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  > Kathi-Raisa Petrick

                  > removed]

                  http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide

                  Give the gift of life to a sick child.
                  _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/_HGP.B/6WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM)

                • maria hudek
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                    Hi

                    you probably solved it already but if not -
                    ravire should mean just word "revir" which means "part" or "suburb" Trencin, not the name, i would just say - it is Trencin.

                    Maria

                    kathiraisa@... wrote:
                    Dear List:

                    One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik, which was, as per their
                    marriage certificate from the village of (what looks like) Ravire Trencsin.
                    I have tried googling this name, with several variations, but nothing comes
                    up.

                    I know that probably nowadays it would have a different name, but I do not
                    know how to look further into this.

                    Can someone help, please?

                    Thanks.
                    Kathi-Raisa Petrick

                  • David Decker
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                      Maria,

                      Would you be related to the Hudeks of Toronto, Canada?

                      One of my grandfathers cousins married a hudek, think his name was Joseph
                      her name was either Maria or Tonka, cant remember which one at the moment.
                      :-). Family name would have been Kondrc

                      David

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
                        Hi David,

                        I dont know ...
                        But faminly name is Hudek or Kondrc?
                        I know that some Hudek family comes also from Bratislava, we come from Trencin (Skalka)
                        They may had moved there form Toronto but I dont think so ;)

                        maria