Help with village name

  • dan wanchic
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 14, 2005
      I've been looking for descendents of my grandmothers sister,
      Suska Tej who married a man named Jascur or Yaschur according
      to my cousin.

      I've contacted one fellow who's surname is Yaschur. He was told that
      his grandfather came from a village whose name was pronounced
      lee-nar-to in Austro-Hungary. He has no idea of the actual spelling.

      Does anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for a Saris connection.

      Dan

      Apple Valley, MN

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 14, 2005
        I believe that you have bene given the corrct answer.

        Slovak Telephone White Pages
        You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
        them up in the phone book white pages at
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
        three letters of the family name and the area code 054.

        Tej(ova) appears 25X and Jasc'u'r(ova) appears 9X.

        Nearest locations:
        Ján Tej, Snakov
        Dušan Jašèur, Malcov
        František Jašèúr, Gerlachov
        Ivan Jašèur, Lukov
        MikulᚠJašèur, Malcov

        I hope that the accented letters (s & c) reproduce properly.

        LDS has RC and GC records for Lenartov. Take your pick.
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 15, 2005
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dan wanchic" <danzarusyn@h...>
          wrote:
          > I've been looking for descendents of my grandmothers sister,
          > Suska Tej who married a man named Jascur or Yaschur according
          > to my cousin.
          >
          > I've contacted one fellow who's surname is Yaschur. He was told that
          > his grandfather came from a village whose name was pronounced
          > lee-nar-to in Austro-Hungary. He has no idea of the actual spelling.
          >
          > Does anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for a Saris connection.
          >
          > Dan
          >
          > Apple Valley, MN

          Dan

          There are probably a 100 + surname Jas^c^ur bearers in Slovakia.
          (The letter j is pron. as y in both Slovak and Magyar)
          ahoj
          So you can't be sure the village of origin of her husband was actually
          Lenartov or that she also was from there.
          For example, in 1901 a widow Zuzanna Tej, age 51 (b. about 1850)
          had emigrated to US.
          She was from Kiskereszt (H) Krivé (Sk) located in S^aris^.
          Susan (E) Zuzanna, Zuska, Zsuzsa (H) Zuza (Sk) Zuska (P)
          Of course, both village are located in S^aris^ with Lenartov being
          the larger one.

          Frank K

          FREE!
        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 19, 2005
            Dear List:

            One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik, which was, as per their
            marriage certificate from the village of (what looks like) Ravire Trencsin.
            I have tried googling this name, with several variations, but nothing comes
            up.

            I know that probably nowadays it would have a different name, but I do not
            know how to look further into this.

            Can someone help, please?

            Thanks.
            Kathi-Raisa Petrick

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 19, 2005
              Using the 1828 list of villges, available for viewing at
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ we can hope that you have (at least)
              the first letter right. That provides the following list of
              possibilities that are short names starting with R in the former
              Trencsen Megye = county.

              Radissa, Radola, Radvoszka, Rajecz, Rakova, Rassov, Revfalu, Ribari,
              Ribeny, Roszina, Rovne

              There is also a border village called Revan. See the 1910 map at
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg
              and look on the lower right edge of the green area near the Nyitra
              River.

              Can you scan or fax the original document?
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 20, 2005
                Thanks for sending me the marriage certificate by fax. It is quite
                clear to me that the village name is Rovne, Trencsen Megye for the
                birthplace of the groom.

                The bride was born in Hethars, Saros Megye.

                CENTER (FHC)

                LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and
                deaths for Vel'ke Rovné, Slovakia; formerly Rovne, Trencsén,
                Hungary.

                Krstení 1774-1798 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065940 Item 7 ]
                Krstení 1798-1897 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065941 ]
                Krstení 1897-1901 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065942 Item 1 ]
                Sobášení 1774-1908 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065942 Items 2-3 ]
                Zomrelí 1774-1870 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065942 Item 4 ]
                Zomrelí 1871-1901 - FHL INTL Film [ 2065943 Items 1-2 ]

                LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                deaths for Lipany, Slovakia, formerly Héthárs, Sáros, Hungary.

                LDS has Parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for
                Lipany, Slovakia, formerly Héthárs, Sáros, Hungary. Film number
                1792019 item 2 is the register of the Roman Catholic church in
                Lipany.

                LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census for Lipany:
                Héthárs (Lipany) FHL INTL Film 2162324 Item 5

                (cont.) Héthárs (Lipany) FHL INTL Film 2153083 Item 1

                Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
                to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
                film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
                research.

                TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
                translations.

                LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
                See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
                details.

                Happy squinting. You are on your way to locating a lot of family
                history.
              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 20, 2005
                  From the earlier message identifying church records for Rovne, we
                  know that the current village name is Velke Rovne. It is located
                  north of Nagybittse, now called Bytca.

                  1910 HUNGARIAN MAP for Rovne
                  The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                  http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg

                  Look in the dark yellow area for Nagybittse and then go a couple of
                  villages north to Rovne. That's your village.

                  1910 HUNGARIAN MAP for Hethars
                  The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                  http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

                  Look in the pink area, left side for Hethars.

                  SAVE the maps on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics
                  program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise,
                  you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names
                  that you will likely find in church records.

                  CURRENT MAP NAMES

                  ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 20, 2005
                    SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                    You might find Fabik/Fajbik relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone
                    by looking them up in the phone book white pages at
                    http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first three
                    letters of the family name and the area code 041.

                    While both spellings appear in the area code, none are in Velke Rovne.
                  • jnickel_o
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 1 5:50 AM
                      I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:

                      1793886-Úmrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                      Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                      Death #35

                      After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].

                      Name that village! :o)
                    • CurtB
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 1 8:32 AM
                        Seems clear to me---Beleny, present day village of Belin.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

                        > I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:
                        >
                        > 1793886-�mrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                        > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                        > Death #35
                        >
                        > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].
                        >
                        > Name that village! :o)

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 1 9:10 AM
                          >>> I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:
                          >
                          > 1793886-�mrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                          > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                          > Death #35
                          >
                          > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].
                          >
                          > Name that village! <<<

                          Easier to simply quote the film reference and let us look at the original.

                          RC/Snina/film #1111 p 100/298.

                          I make it out to be Beleu? of Belen? My suggested candidates using old village names are Belejoc, Belavezse, Belusa.
                        • John
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 1 9:14 AM
                            >>> Seems clear to me---Beleny, present day village of Belin. <<<

                            You may be right but it's a long way from Snina.
                          • CurtB
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 1 9:35 AM
                              Yes, so it is; and likely one of the reasons the place of origin is given. Most times if it is a nearby village, it is not mentioned at all. The spelling does seem rather clear to me.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 1 10:10 AM
                                Outstanding. That was one of the possible spellings I had [Beleny], but I couldn't find a village by that name and thought I was mistaken.

                                thanks very much.

                                > Seems clear to me---Beleny, present day village of Belin.
                                >
                                > Curt B.
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in the far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in Hungarian and Latin. See:
                                > >
                                > > 1793886-�mrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                                > > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                                > > Death #35
                                > >
                                > > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village [presumably].
                                > >
                                > > Name that village! :o)

                              • jnickel_o
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 2 6:46 AM

                                  > You may be right but it's a long way from Snina.

                                  You certainly make a fair point. I can add that in the earliest church records there were no Kdovicsins in the parish records. I've looked in the church records of some of the surrounding villages where there were RC records and they certainly weren't there.

                                  As these things go, you never know for sure until you find the record that proves it. This is a good lead. Whether it actually works is another question.
                                • Janet Kozlay
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 2 11:10 AM
                                    I am assuming that Beleny/Belin is the village you are seeking.

                                    This tiny village of less than 500 people had no church of its own. It was a
                                    Hungarian village, mostly of the Reformed faith, with a small number of
                                    Roman Catholics. If your Anna was Roman Catholic, you should find her
                                    records in the nearby village of Feled (HU)/ Feledince (SK). LDS has those
                                    microfilms.

                                    If, on the other hand, she was Reformed, the case is more difficult. Those
                                    records would have been held at the church in nearby Szutor (HU)/Sutor (SK).
                                    Although Sutor had a Reformed church, built in 1810, it looks like it might
                                    not have lasted and LDS does not list any records from there.

                                    A search for Reformed churches in the area show only ones that are now in
                                    Hungary, northwest of Miskolc.

                                    You might try writing to the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia to see if
                                    they know the whereabouts today of the records from the old church at Sutor:

                                    Reformovana Krest. Cirkev na Slovenska

                                    Hlavne nam 23, PO Box 78

                                    979 01 Rimavska Sobota

                                    Slovakia, Europe

                                    Email: reformata@...

                                    Good luck, Janet

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 2 4:03 PM
                                      Thank you. The family has always been listed as RC. There is also the RC Church in Rimavska Sobota. It's a mile further than Feledince but Fedelince is also on the other side of the Rimava River. Parish boundaries are sometimes bounded by rivers. Unfortunately, neither FHL description identifies where Beleny came under.

                                      I'll poke around the we some more to see if I can find something definitive or just order films for both the villages.

                                      Jim

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                      > I am assuming that Beleny/Belin is the village you are seeking.
                                      >

                                      > This tiny village of less than 500 people had no church of its own. It was a
                                      > Hungarian village, mostly of the Reformed faith, with a small number of
                                      > Roman Catholics. If your Anna was Roman Catholic, you should find her
                                      > records in the nearby village of Feled (HU)/ Feledince (SK). LDS has those
                                      > microfilms.
                                      >

                                      > If, on the other hand, she was Reformed, the case is more difficult. Those
                                      > records would have been held at the church in nearby Szutor (HU)/Sutor (SK).
                                      > Although Sutor had a Reformed church, built in 1810, it looks like it might
                                      > not have lasted and LDS does not list any records from there.
                                      >

                                      > A search for Reformed churches in the area show only ones that are now in
                                      > Hungary, northwest of Miskolc.
                                      >

                                      > You might try writing to the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia to see if
                                      > they know the whereabouts today of the records from the old church at Sutor:
                                      >

                                      > Reformovana Krest. Cirkev na Slovenska
                                      >
                                      > Hlavne nam 23, PO Box 78
                                      >
                                      > 979 01 Rimavska Sobota
                                      >
                                      > Slovakia, Europe
                                      >

                                      > Email: reformata@...
                                      >

                                      > Good luck, Janet

                                    • Janet Kozlay
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 2 5:55 PM
                                        According to the Dvorzsak Gazetteer, Roman Catholics from Beleny attended
                                        the parish at Feled.

                                        Janet

                                        , "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                        > I am assuming that Beleny/Belin is the village you are seeking.
                                        >

                                        > This tiny village of less than 500 people had no church of its own. It was
                                        > Hungarian village, mostly of the Reformed faith, with a small number of
                                        > Roman Catholics. If your Anna was Roman Catholic, you should find her
                                        > records in the nearby village of Feled (HU)/ Feledince (SK). LDS has those
                                        > microfilms.
                                        >

                                        > If, on the other hand, she was Reformed, the case is more difficult. Those
                                        > records would have been held at the church in nearby Szutor (HU)/Sutor
                                        (SK).
                                        > Although Sutor had a Reformed church, built in 1810, it looks like it
                                        might
                                        > not have lasted and LDS does not list any records from there.
                                        >

                                        > A search for Reformed churches in the area show only ones that are now in
                                        > Hungary, northwest of Miskolc.
                                        >

                                        > You might try writing to the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia to see
                                        if
                                        > they know the whereabouts today of the records from the old church at
                                        Sutor:

                                        > Reformovana Krest. Cirkev na Slovenska
                                        >
                                        > Hlavne nam 23, PO Box 78
                                        >
                                        > 979 01 Rimavska Sobota
                                        >
                                        > Slovakia, Europe
                                        >

                                        > Email: reformata@...
                                        >

                                        > Good luck, Janet
                                        >

                                        > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        ] On
                                        > Behalf Of jnickel_o
                                        > Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:51 AM
                                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        > Subject: [S-R] Help with village name
                                        >

                                        > I've upload a death/burial record from the village of Snina which is in
                                        the
                                        > far eastern portion of modern day Slovakia. The year is 1855 and is in
                                        > Hungarian and Latin. See:
                                        >
                                        > 1793886-Úmrtia [1844-1880] - Page 184.jpg
                                        > Anna Kdovicsin - Death Record.
                                        > Death #35
                                        >
                                        > After her name you'll see: "Origine" followed by the name of a village
                                        > [presumably].
                                        >
                                        > Name that village! :o)

                                      • jnickel_o
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 3 4:38 AM
                                          Excellent. I'll get my film order in on Monday and in a few weeks I'll know. The baptismal records for the right years exist [Assuming the FHL description is correct].

                                          Thank you and thanks again to all the helped.

                                          Everyone have a happy fourth and may everyone's sacrificial barbecue go well.

                                          Cheers,