Re: [S-R] Re: BARANEK - Banska Byctha

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
      At 11:46 AM 12/01/2005, you wrote:
      >The correct spelling of the town name is Banska Bystrica. It is in
      >central Slovakia and a lovely town.

      Can you please tell me a bit about the place? I am sure it is one of the
      places we lived in when I was a very young child.
      Nick
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
        I was born there in the Roosevelt's Hospital.

        Vladi

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
          Nick,
          Here are links to very good free background information and photographs:

          http://www.bbb.sk/en/ - english
          http://www.banskabystrica.sk/ - Official town page
          http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2002/banska_bystrica_ascii.html -
          Spectacular Slovakia guide
          http://www.fodor.sk/Sections/Bystrica/bb_e_region.htm
          http://www.muzeum.sk/mesto/default.php?co=bb
          http://library.thinkquest.org/22618/hrady/ebb.html

          Live Webcam: http://www.uakom.sk/kamera/jpeg/bbb.jpg

          Slovak National Uprising
          http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2001/snp_ascii.html
          http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2002/joseph_morten_ascii.html
          http://motlc.wiesenthal.com/pages/t004/t00475.html

          If you have a thirst for all things Slovakia, and have a lot of time on your
          hands, check out http://www.slovaklinks.com/
          It's quite hard to use if you're looking for something in particular (unless
          it goes by it's title name). Nonetheless, perusing it can give you a pretty
          good snapshot of what's available.

          I'm sure other readers have their favorite sites too.
          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          >The correct spelling of the town name is Banska Bystrica. It is in
          >central Slovakia and a lovely town.

          Can you please tell me a bit about the place? I am sure it is one of the
          places we lived in when I was a very young child.
          Nick

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
            At 06:24 PM 12/01/2005, you wrote:

            >Nick,
            >Here are links to very good free background information and photographs:
            >

            >I'm sure other readers have their favorite sites too.
            >______________
            >Bill Tarkulich

            Thanks, I suppose what I really should have asked is does anyone know what
            sort of a place it was just after the war.

            Nick
          • Stefanie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
              Thank you very much for your help with both surnames!
              It's given me a bit of insight and has helped narrow
              my search.

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250