BARANEK - Banska Byctha

  • Stefanie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2005
      Looking for ANY information on the Baranek family originating in
      Banska Byctha. Other sources have indicated Velka Byctha, but I
      haven't been able to verify that.

      The info I have thus far:

      Baranek, Barbara (married GASPEREC)- B. 25 Oct 1888 (Banska
      Bychtha) D. 20 Mar 1975 Chicago, IL

      Baranek, Anna (married Martinicky) - B. 04 Mar 1893 (Banska Bychtha)
      D. 19 Oct 1964 Chicago, IL

      Marie/Mary Baranek (married Bolf) B. Banska Bychtha D. ? Chicago, IL

      There is another sister, but she was blind and remained in Slovakia
      with her mother.

      I've been told that their father's name was Frantisek (Frank)
      Baranek, and it's likely that he died before 1910. Also, their
      mother's name may have been Anna Bakalinetes.

      Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

      Stefanie Gasperec
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2005
        The correct spelling of the town name is Banska Bystrica. It is in
        central Slovakia and a lovely town. I use as my support the current
        phone book white pages for area code 048. Both Baranec and Baranek
        appear. Gasparik and Gasparec, Gasperik, + variations appear.
        Martinik appears. Bolf appears several times.

        "Also, their mother's name may have been Anna Bakalinetes." Closest
        spelling is Bakaljar in current phone listings.

        Slovak Telephone White Pages
        You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
        them up in the phone book white pages at
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
        three letters of the family name and the area code 048.

        Church Records at LDS Family History Center

        LDS has RC and Evangelical (Lutheran) church records available. What
        religion are we looking for?

        Assume RC. LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
        marriages and deaths for Banská Bystrica, Slovakia, formerly
        Beszterczebánya, Zólyom Megye = county, Hungary.

        Krstení 1631-1648 Sobášení 1628-1648 Zomrelí 1628-1648 Krstení 1648-
        1676 - FHL INTL Film [ 1983117 Items 6-7 ]

        Krstení 1676 Sobášení 1648-1677 Zomrelí 1649, 1654-1674 Krstení 1674-
        1704 Sobášení 1677-1699 Krstení 1704-1715 - FHL INTL Film [ 1982768 ]

        Krstení 1715-1752 - FHL INTL Film [ 1982769 ]

        Krstení 1752-1807 - FHL INTL Film [ 1982770 ]

        Krstení 1807-1869 - FHL INTL Film [ 1982771 ]

        Krstení 1869-1900 Sobášení 1674-1681, 1701-1733 - FHL INTL Film [
        1982772 ]

        Sobášení 1733-1761, 1724-1779 Zomrelí 1721-1749 Sobášení 1741-1779,
        1761-1779 Zomrelí 1789-1866 Sobášení 1789-1862 - FHL INTL Film [
        1982773 ]

        Sobášení 1862-1898 Zomrelí 1693-1779, 1744-1747 Zomrelí 1741-1778,
        1750-1790 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002700 ]

        Zomrelí 1790-1879, 1867-1882 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002701 ]

        Zomrelí 1882-1907, 1879-1909 - FHL INTL Film [ 2002702 Items 1-2 ]

        Locate your nearest Family History Center and Order Film
        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        Translation of Church Records
        translations.

        LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
        See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
        details.

        Current Map

        ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

        1910 Hungarian Map
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zolyom.jpg

        Locate Beszterczebánya = Banska Bystrica in the pink area to the left
        side of the map.

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
        likely find in church records.

        Basic Research Help
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        Good luck and happy squinting (at church records).
      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
          At 11:46 AM 12/01/2005, you wrote:
          >The correct spelling of the town name is Banska Bystrica. It is in
          >central Slovakia and a lovely town.

          Can you please tell me a bit about the place? I am sure it is one of the
          places we lived in when I was a very young child.
          Nick
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
            I was born there in the Roosevelt's Hospital.

            Vladi

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
              Nick,
              Here are links to very good free background information and photographs:

              http://www.bbb.sk/en/ - english
              http://www.banskabystrica.sk/ - Official town page
              http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2002/banska_bystrica_ascii.html -
              Spectacular Slovakia guide
              http://www.fodor.sk/Sections/Bystrica/bb_e_region.htm
              http://www.muzeum.sk/mesto/default.php?co=bb
              http://library.thinkquest.org/22618/hrady/ebb.html

              Live Webcam: http://www.uakom.sk/kamera/jpeg/bbb.jpg

              Slovak National Uprising
              http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2001/snp_ascii.html
              http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2002/joseph_morten_ascii.html
              http://motlc.wiesenthal.com/pages/t004/t00475.html

              If you have a thirst for all things Slovakia, and have a lot of time on your
              hands, check out http://www.slovaklinks.com/
              It's quite hard to use if you're looking for something in particular (unless
              it goes by it's title name). Nonetheless, perusing it can give you a pretty
              good snapshot of what's available.

              I'm sure other readers have their favorite sites too.
              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              >The correct spelling of the town name is Banska Bystrica. It is in
              >central Slovakia and a lovely town.

              Can you please tell me a bit about the place? I am sure it is one of the
              places we lived in when I was a very young child.
              Nick

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
                At 06:24 PM 12/01/2005, you wrote:

                >Nick,
                >Here are links to very good free background information and photographs:
                >

                >I'm sure other readers have their favorite sites too.
                >______________
                >Bill Tarkulich

                Thanks, I suppose what I really should have asked is does anyone know what
                sort of a place it was just after the war.

                Nick
              • Stefanie
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
                  Thank you very much for your help with both surnames!
                  It's given me a bit of insight and has helped narrow
                  my search.

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250