BEBIAK/BEBJAK/BABJAK SURNAME

  • marijo48867
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
      I AM RESEARCHING MY FAMILY ROOTS. I BELIEVE THEY WERE FROM KOSICE OR
      THE JAKLOVIC REGION, BUT I AM NOT POSITIVE. MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS
      WERE JAN AND MARY (MARIE) BEBJAK. MY GRANDPARENTS WERE JOZSEF AND
      MARY (MARIE BULIK) WHO CAME TO THE US FROM SLOVAKIA IN THE EARLY
      1900'S AND WERE MARRIED IN RACINE, WISCONSIN IN 1908. ANY
      INFORMATION ABOUT THESE SURNAMES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
        is also necessary to know the religion.

        To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
        go to the LDS web site:

        The family names are too common to use the phone directory for
        guidance.

        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
          Ellis Island offers some possibilities. Using the Steve Morse site,
          we have 10 possible Jozef (various sp) Babjak in the 1900-1908
          period. Bulik has 4 Marias. Use http://www.stevemorse.org/ White
          Form. See if there are any that meet your requirements, especially in
          terms of destination.

          Once we have pinned down the village of origin, real progress can
          start.