Re: [S-R] Help with Baptismal Record of Istvany Vrabely

  • Dr. Joe Q.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
      The link works, it just takes a few "pastings" to put it together.

      http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGbbQWlRbzqMYPeycykDs7JUtj1oSsVByJrUo41nfFSY5RILtEmiEIpHDQE0hmolhZDACuEqZY5sBw_kqcAQBIPEMA9PsvnGGTrk/Vrabely%2C%20Istvany%20Baptismal%20Record%201842.jpg

      But that has to qualify as godzilla's link, how was it generated?

      Dr. "Q"

      mikehamilton56 wrote:

      >Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
      >to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
      >Thanks
      >Mike

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "mikehamilton56"
        <mhamilton4@w...> wrote:

        > Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
        > to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
        > Thanks
        > Mike

        Mike

        The parish church records for Sac^urov (1770-1895) were written in
        Latin and Hungarian.

        In Hungary the official language of the parish church registers was
        Latin, but Protestant and early Greek Catholic registers were
        exceptions until 1836.
        Registers were written in Hungarian 1836-1849.
        After the failed Hungarian revolt (1848-1849) Austria banned the use
        of Hungarian and the registers were written in Latin again.
        With the esatblishment of the "dual" Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
        (1867-1918) the registers were once again written in Hungarian.

        Hungarian English
        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

        nemes = nobility, noble(man)
        nemtelen, aljas = ignoble (not noble, base, unknown)

        The implication was that the latter labeled surnames were base, not of
        nobility.

        I really couldn't decipher whether the notation was actually the
        letters "ats" ?
        Beneath it seems to be a word, perhaps Lovnicza ?

        Frank K
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
          1. I believe you are getting tripped up on old-style script handwriting.
          What you are actually seeing is R.r. and G.r. are "Roman rite" and "Greek
          rite" respectively.

          2. I agree with Mike that the village name is probably "Lomnicza", another
          old-style handwriting transcription error.

          3. Polgari allasa es Lakhelye -This is Magyar language. You may have a
          couple of extra letters in here, but in general, you are correct in your
          transcription.

          4. ats - need to see more of the document for handwriting style. I'm not
          convinced you have the letters correct. It may be part of the next column
          to the right.

          Bill Tarkulich