Help with Baptismal Record of Istvany Vrabely

  • mikehamilton56
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
      Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
      to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
      Thanks
      Mike
    • Dr. Joe Q.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
        Perhaps it is "acs" an abbreviation for carpenter?

        Dr. "Q"

        mikehamilton56 wrote:

        >Help!
        >I recently found what I think is my g-grandfather's baptismal record
        >from the Roman Catholic church in Szacsur, Zemplen, Hungary. I am
        >looking for suggestions for the abbrviations R.V. and G.V. instead
        >of the usual designations R.K. & G.K. for religion. Also in the
        >column "Polgari allasa es Lakhelye" Which I think means "Civil
        >Status and Residence" what the notation "ats" ?? means. Most of the
        >other records have "Nemtelen" in this column which means "ignoble"
        >
        >Anyone interested can access the file by pasting the following
        >address in their browser.
        >

        >http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGbbQWlRbzqMYPeycykDs7JUtj1oSsVByJrUo41n
        >fFSY5RILtEmiEIpHDQE0hmolhZDACuEqZY5sBw_kqcAQBIPEMA9PsvnGGTrk/Vrabely%
        >2C%20Istvany%20Baptismal%20Record%201842.jpg
        >
        >(The file is posted at the slovak-roots web site.)
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Mike Hamilton

      • Dr. Joe Q.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
          The link works, it just takes a few "pastings" to put it together.

          http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGbbQWlRbzqMYPeycykDs7JUtj1oSsVByJrUo41nfFSY5RILtEmiEIpHDQE0hmolhZDACuEqZY5sBw_kqcAQBIPEMA9PsvnGGTrk/Vrabely%2C%20Istvany%20Baptismal%20Record%201842.jpg

          But that has to qualify as godzilla's link, how was it generated?

          Dr. "Q"

          mikehamilton56 wrote:

          >Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
          >to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
          >Thanks
          >Mike

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "mikehamilton56"
            <mhamilton4@w...> wrote:

            > Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
            > to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
            > Thanks
            > Mike

            Mike

            The parish church records for Sac^urov (1770-1895) were written in
            Latin and Hungarian.

            In Hungary the official language of the parish church registers was
            Latin, but Protestant and early Greek Catholic registers were
            exceptions until 1836.
            Registers were written in Hungarian 1836-1849.
            After the failed Hungarian revolt (1848-1849) Austria banned the use
            of Hungarian and the registers were written in Latin again.
            With the esatblishment of the "dual" Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
            (1867-1918) the registers were once again written in Hungarian.

            Hungarian English
            rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
            ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
            izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

            nemes = nobility, noble(man)
            nemtelen, aljas = ignoble (not noble, base, unknown)

            The implication was that the latter labeled surnames were base, not of
            nobility.

            I really couldn't decipher whether the notation was actually the
            letters "ats" ?
            Beneath it seems to be a word, perhaps Lovnicza ?

            Frank K
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
              1. I believe you are getting tripped up on old-style script handwriting.
              What you are actually seeing is R.r. and G.r. are "Roman rite" and "Greek
              rite" respectively.

              2. I agree with Mike that the village name is probably "Lomnicza", another
              old-style handwriting transcription error.

              3. Polgari allasa es Lakhelye -This is Magyar language. You may have a
              couple of extra letters in here, but in general, you are correct in your
              transcription.

              4. ats - need to see more of the document for handwriting style. I'm not
              convinced you have the letters correct. It may be part of the next column
              to the right.

              Bill Tarkulich