Help with Baptismal Record of Istvany Vrabely

  • mikehamilton56
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
      Help!
      I recently found what I think is my g-grandfather's baptismal record
      from the Roman Catholic church in Szacsur, Zemplen, Hungary. I am
      looking for suggestions for the abbrviations R.V. and G.V. instead
      of the usual designations R.K. & G.K. for religion. Also in the
      column "Polgari allasa es Lakhelye" Which I think means "Civil
      Status and Residence" what the notation "ats" ?? means. Most of the
      other records have "Nemtelen" in this column which means "ignoble"

      Anyone interested can access the file by pasting the following
      address in their browser.

      http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGbbQWlRbzqMYPeycykDs7JUtj1oSsVByJrUo41n
      fFSY5RILtEmiEIpHDQE0hmolhZDACuEqZY5sBw_kqcAQBIPEMA9PsvnGGTrk/Vrabely%
      2C%20Istvany%20Baptismal%20Record%201842.jpg

      (The file is posted at the slovak-roots web site.)

      Thanks,
      Mike Hamilton
    • mikehamilton56
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
        Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
        to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
        Thanks
        Mike
      • Dr. Joe Q.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
          Perhaps it is "acs" an abbreviation for carpenter?

          Dr. "Q"

          mikehamilton56 wrote:

          >Help!
          >I recently found what I think is my g-grandfather's baptismal record
          >from the Roman Catholic church in Szacsur, Zemplen, Hungary. I am
          >looking for suggestions for the abbrviations R.V. and G.V. instead
          >of the usual designations R.K. & G.K. for religion. Also in the
          >column "Polgari allasa es Lakhelye" Which I think means "Civil
          >Status and Residence" what the notation "ats" ?? means. Most of the
          >other records have "Nemtelen" in this column which means "ignoble"
          >
          >Anyone interested can access the file by pasting the following
          >address in their browser.
          >

          >http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGbbQWlRbzqMYPeycykDs7JUtj1oSsVByJrUo41n
          >fFSY5RILtEmiEIpHDQE0hmolhZDACuEqZY5sBw_kqcAQBIPEMA9PsvnGGTrk/Vrabely%
          >2C%20Istvany%20Baptismal%20Record%201842.jpg
          >
          >(The file is posted at the slovak-roots web site.)
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Mike Hamilton

        • Dr. Joe Q.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
            The link works, it just takes a few "pastings" to put it together.

            http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGbbQWlRbzqMYPeycykDs7JUtj1oSsVByJrUo41nfFSY5RILtEmiEIpHDQE0hmolhZDACuEqZY5sBw_kqcAQBIPEMA9PsvnGGTrk/Vrabely%2C%20Istvany%20Baptismal%20Record%201842.jpg

            But that has to qualify as godzilla's link, how was it generated?

            Dr. "Q"

            mikehamilton56 wrote:

            >Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
            >to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
            >Thanks
            >Mike

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "mikehamilton56"
              <mhamilton4@w...> wrote:

              > Sorry the shortcut to the file doesn't seem to work. Probably easier
              > to just go to the Slovak-Roots web site to access the file.
              > Thanks
              > Mike

              Mike

              The parish church records for Sac^urov (1770-1895) were written in
              Latin and Hungarian.

              In Hungary the official language of the parish church registers was
              Latin, but Protestant and early Greek Catholic registers were
              exceptions until 1836.
              Registers were written in Hungarian 1836-1849.
              After the failed Hungarian revolt (1848-1849) Austria banned the use
              of Hungarian and the registers were written in Latin again.
              With the esatblishment of the "dual" Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
              (1867-1918) the registers were once again written in Hungarian.

              Hungarian English
              rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
              ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
              izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

              nemes = nobility, noble(man)
              nemtelen, aljas = ignoble (not noble, base, unknown)

              The implication was that the latter labeled surnames were base, not of
              nobility.

              I really couldn't decipher whether the notation was actually the
              letters "ats" ?
              Beneath it seems to be a word, perhaps Lovnicza ?

              Frank K
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
                1. I believe you are getting tripped up on old-style script handwriting.
                What you are actually seeing is R.r. and G.r. are "Roman rite" and "Greek
                rite" respectively.

                2. I agree with Mike that the village name is probably "Lomnicza", another
                old-style handwriting transcription error.

                3. Polgari allasa es Lakhelye -This is Magyar language. You may have a
                couple of extra letters in here, but in general, you are correct in your
                transcription.

                4. ats - need to see more of the document for handwriting style. I'm not
                convinced you have the letters correct. It may be part of the next column
                to the right.

                Bill Tarkulich