Re: [S-R] Place Name Help - Csivska

  • John Vamos
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
      Vladimir,

      Csivska is the spelling in a transcription that I received. I haven't seen the actual microfilm to assess whether the transcription is accurate. LDS has a microfilm for Cicava (Greek Catholic). There is no microfilm available for the village of Podcicva which appears to be in very close proximity to Tovarne and Ondavske Matiasovce.

      Thanks for your help.

      John Vamos
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
        PODCICVA is nowadays a part of the town of SEDLISKA.
        Roman Catholic SEDLISKA records are with VRANOV NAD TOPLOU
        Greek Catholic Records for SEDLISKA are under SEDLISKA.
        Source: "Prehlad matrík na Slovensku do zostátnenia matricnej agendy"
        (Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
        registration)
        FHL catalog entry: http://tinyurl.com/725fk

        Good Luck,
        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        At 09:34 AM 1/2/2005, you wrote:
        >In searching LDS Church Records from Ondavske Matiasovce I have come
        >across the place name of Csivska. I have been unable to find the place
        >using ShtetlSeeker or the Map of Slovakia published by the Slovak
        >Institute. I don't know if there has been a name change or not since
        >these entries are prior to 1860. This set of church records includes
        >names such as Tovarne and Benkovce and I would assume that the village
        >Csivska is in that geographic region. Any help or insight would be
        >appreciated.
        >
        >John Vamos

        Vladimir Linder

        I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral Village

        Photography in Slovakia.

        More information on:
        Genealogical research:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
        Ancestral Village Videos:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
        Ancestral Village Photography:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
        History of any village or town in Slovakia:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

        Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$35.00 per page

        To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
        My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-297-508

        Email: vlinder49@...

        Contact me for more details

        Vladimir Linder
        3804 Yale Street
        Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
        Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
          Podcicva church records are likely in Sedliska.

          LDS has Greek Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and
          deaths for Sedliská, Slovakia; formerly Szedliczke, Zemplén, Hungary.

          Fiches (Set of 6) LDS #6000786
          To be sure, check Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the
          time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that
          are held in Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page
          references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
          are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

          As well, the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census is available:

          Magyarkrucsó (Uhorský Kruèov) -- Majorócz (Majerovce) -- Makócz
          (Makovce) -- Makkoshotyka -- Matyasócz (Matiašovce) FHL INTL Film
          722738