Place Name Help - Csivska

  • John Vamos
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
      In searching LDS Church Records from Ondavske Matiasovce I have come across the place name of Csivska. I have been unable to find the place using ShtetlSeeker or the Map of Slovakia published by the Slovak Institute. I don't know if there has been a name change or not since these entries are prior to 1860. This set of church records includes names such as Tovarne and Benkovce and I would assume that the village Csivska is in that geographic region. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

      John Vamos

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
        These villages are fairly close together in District 12 on the 1910 map at
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg. Benkovce appears as
        Benkocz, and I think your Csivska is probably Csicsoka, just over the
        mountain to the west. Tovarne also is nearby.
        Janet

        In searching LDS Church Records from Ondavske Matiasovce I have come across
        the place name of Csivska. I have been unable to find the place using
        ShtetlSeeker or the Map of Slovakia published by the Slovak Institute. I
        don't know if there has been a name change or not since these entries are
        prior to 1860. This set of church records includes names such as Tovarne
        and Benkovce and I would assume that the village Csivska is in that
        geographic region. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

        John Vamos

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John Vamos" <jvamos@e...> wrote:
          > In searching LDS Church Records from Ondavske Matiasovce I have come
          across the place name of Csivska. I have been unable to find the
          place using ShtetlSeeker or the Map of Slovakia published by the
          Slovak Institute. I don't know if there has been a name change or not
          since these entries are prior to 1860. This set of church records
          includes names such as Tovarne and Benkovce and I would assume that
          the village Csivska is in that geographic region. Any help or insight
          would be appreciated.

          > John Vamos

          John,

          Your Ondavské Matias^ovce in Zemplin was not the same place as the
          Matias^ovce referred to under the prior Matiasovci message, i.e.
          Matias^ovce in Spis^.
          The two places had different Magyar prefixes, one referred to Sezpes
          megye and the other referred to Zemplén megye.
          Having said that, your Csivska was probably misspelled or misread and
          was actually Csicsóka (H) C^ic^ava (Sk) which is located 4 miles
          distant from Ondavské Matias^ovce (formerly Zemplénmátyás (H)

          Frank K
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
            LDS might suggest Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
            marriages and deaths for C'ic'ava, Slovakia, formerly Csicsóka,
            Zemplén, Hungary.

            C'ic'ava is one village (6 km) due west of Ondiavske Matiasovce,
            albeit with mountains between.

            Tovarne is due 2 km south; Benkovce is 3 km nothwest.

            Generally, villages found in church records are no more than TWO
            villages distance, once again demonstrated in this case.

            1910 Hungarian Map
            The old Hungarian map can be found at:
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

            Look at the border of the green and blue area west of Homonna =
            Humenne for your villages.

            CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
            get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
            likely find in church records.
          • John Vamos
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
              Thanks to all for the excellent information and suggestions for the help with the place name. Your suggestions have me on track again - I hope!

              John Vamos

            • Dolores Glade
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
                --- John Vamos <jvamos@...> wrote:

                > Thanks to all for the excellent information and
                > suggestions for the help with the place name. Your
                > suggestions have me on track again - I hope!
                >
                > John Vamos

                > removed]
                >
                > John--

                Where is C located? I had some info that a
                grandfather came from Sariska but could never find it.

                Might be that the name is really the name of the town
                you are looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
                Thanks, Dee

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250