1828 Census Headings and Words

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2000
      The film of the 1828 Hungarian Census for Sabinov (Cibinium) has come
      in, and the good news is I have already found family in there. The bad
      news is that I cannot find the information from years ago I got from
      someone with the translations of the headings of each column (and each
      person has 4 pages of columns, so it's a lot). My Latin book does not
      have many of the words.

      It seems to me that this is more of an agricultural census, listing only
      heads of household, not inhabitants. Still, it will be helpful if I can
      figure out all the words!

      Does anyone have the translations of the columns?

      Can anyone help with these items below?

      in Latin.....

      1st column - Nomina Contribuentium - name of contributor? It only
      appears to be men...

      2nd column - Personae Contribuentium utriusque sexus conjugatae, autnon
      conjugatae, inde ab expleto 18vo actatis anno usque 60um
      inclusive....... ? something about persons contributing ..... married or
      unmarried thereafter 18 to 60 something......

      3rd column
      Ex his sunt - is a column heading containing 13 things to be numbered...
      seems to maybe be occupations?

      Honoratiores - ?something honorable
      Cives - citizens?
      Coloni - ?
      Inquilini- house resident
      Subinquilini-?
      Fratres- brothers?
      Filii- sons?
      Filiae- daughters?
      Servi= servants?
      Ancillae-maids?
      Opifices- craftsman/skilled workman?
      Merctores- merchants
      Quaestores- Tax collectors?

      4th column
      Domus a quibus Census solvitur -
      sub headings

      nro. - number ?
      Rfl. - ?
      xr -?

      to be continued later..... this is probably enough to deal with for one
      night......

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2000
        Ok, I will venture to guess that coloni are true peasants with allotments,
        inquilini are renters (land workers who owned a house but no land).
        Sub-inquilini might be people who rented both land and living quarters.

        What a great find. Can't wait to get mine. I thought there would be far
        less information than you describe. Apparently the taxpayer is described in
        terms of other people living on his property?

        Andrea