RE: [S-R] Christmas soup!

  • Dan Kisha
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
      Apologize for the late Christmas greetings.

      Wishing all of the Slovak World family a Very Merry Christmas and
      a Wonderful New Year.

      Also wanted to share with you a recipe for mushroom soup that my
      mother used to make. I usually make a lot, because I really love
      it. Therefore, I only know the ingredients for a large pot that I
      use.

      1) about 2 pounds of the best sauerkraut that I can buy.
      2) about 2 pounds of the best kolbasy that I can buy.
      3) One cup of rice.
      4) about 2 pounds of mushrooms
      5) add a little salt
      6) add water to fill the pot. I make a very heavy soup, but you
      may prefer a much thinner mushroom soup.
      6) Put a lid on the pot, and cook at a low boil for about 3 hours.

      It is very important that you have very good sauerkraut and
      kolbasy for this soup. Otherwise, it will not be very good.
      Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
      Slovak Import Company
      New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
      Ebay WWW Address:
      http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany
      Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
        In a message dated 12/26/04 11:23:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        meg-n-andysmom@... writes:

        > Noreen,
        >
        > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
        > some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
        > I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.
        >
        > Jaent McKinley

        Hi Janet
        I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an infospace.com search for
        Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are Olejniks in the area of where we
        lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is probably the correct
        spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice people. we lived in an apartment
        house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton Avenue and it had a Polish
        deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an antique dealer, a pet shop and an
        office. there were four apartment houses upstairs and we lived on one corner
        and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since we did not share a common
        hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage must have been powerful
        enough to come through the walls. :O)
        (As did our cooking as well)
        where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik live?
        Noreen

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
          That's curiously close to the surname of one of my
          co-workers -- OLEJNICZAK -- wonder if it's a shortened
          version -- know of any relatives in Chicago?

          Caye

          --- nhasior@... wrote:

          > Standard Time,
          > meg-n-andysmom@... writes:
          >

          > > Noreen,
          > >
          > > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down
          > the hall from you are
          > > some how related to me. I've only seen the
          > spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
          > > I'll have to get with you one day about this once
          > everything calms down.
          > >
          > > Jaent McKinley
          > >

          > Hi Janet
          > I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an
          > infospace.com search for
          > Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are
          > Olejniks in the area of where we
          > lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is
          > probably the correct
          > spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice
          > people. we lived in an apartment
          > house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton
          > Avenue and it had a Polish
          > deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an
          > antique dealer, a pet shop and an
          > office. there were four apartment houses upstairs
          > and we lived on one corner
          > and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since
          > we did not share a common
          > hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage
          > must have been powerful
          > enough to come through the walls. :O)
          > (As did our cooking as well)
          > where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik
          > live?
          > Noreen

          > removed]

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Janet
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
            All of my relatives named Olenik lived in Youngstown, Ohio as far as I know.
            My maternal grandmother was an Olenik. Her father and mother immigrated
            here around 1908 or so. None of this info is permanently etched in my brain
            right now...due with 3rd baby in Feb. I haven't gotten very far in the
            research to see where my great grandfathers siblings if any came with him.
            I know Dr. Joe Q, who is on this list, might possibly be a relative on the
            Olenik side. Sorry I don't have any other info to share.

            Janet

            _____

            meg-n-andysmom@... writes:

            > Noreen,
            >
            > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
            > some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
            > I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.
            >
            > Jaent McKinley

            Hi Janet
            I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an infospace.com search for
            Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are Olejniks in the area of
            where we
            lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is probably the correct
            spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice people. we lived in an
            apartment
            house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton Avenue and it had a Polish
            deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an antique dealer, a pet shop and
            an
            office. there were four apartment houses upstairs and we lived on one
            corner
            and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since we did not share a
            common
            hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage must have been powerful
            enough to come through the walls. :O)
            (As did our cooking as well)
            where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik live?
            Noreen

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292ad2ut/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1104491121/A=2495202/R=0/SIG=11evjk50a/*http://www.
            netflix.com/Default?mqso=60188913> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2495202/rand=249885717>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links