RE: [S-R] Christmas soup!

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
      Noreen,

      I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
      some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
      I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.

      Jaent McKinley

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
        Apologize for the late Christmas greetings.

        Wishing all of the Slovak World family a Very Merry Christmas and
        a Wonderful New Year.

        Also wanted to share with you a recipe for mushroom soup that my
        mother used to make. I usually make a lot, because I really love
        it. Therefore, I only know the ingredients for a large pot that I
        use.

        1) about 2 pounds of the best sauerkraut that I can buy.
        2) about 2 pounds of the best kolbasy that I can buy.
        3) One cup of rice.
        4) about 2 pounds of mushrooms
        5) add a little salt
        6) add water to fill the pot. I make a very heavy soup, but you
        may prefer a much thinner mushroom soup.
        6) Put a lid on the pot, and cook at a low boil for about 3 hours.

        It is very important that you have very good sauerkraut and
        kolbasy for this soup. Otherwise, it will not be very good.
        Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
        Slovak Import Company
        New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
        Ebay WWW Address:
        http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany
        Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

[...]

        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
        email to

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ngfhvs/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30
        01176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1104031793/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*h
        ttp://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D
        =groups/S=
        :HM/A=2128215/rand=301234504>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        be>

        of Service
        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
          In a message dated 12/26/04 11:23:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          meg-n-andysmom@... writes:

          > Noreen,
          >
          > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
          > some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
          > I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.
          >
          > Jaent McKinley

          Hi Janet
          I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an infospace.com search for
          Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are Olejniks in the area of where we
          lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is probably the correct
          spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice people. we lived in an apartment
          house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton Avenue and it had a Polish
          deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an antique dealer, a pet shop and an
          office. there were four apartment houses upstairs and we lived on one corner
          and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since we did not share a common
          hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage must have been powerful
          enough to come through the walls. :O)
          (As did our cooking as well)
          where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik live?
          Noreen

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
            That's curiously close to the surname of one of my
            co-workers -- OLEJNICZAK -- wonder if it's a shortened
            version -- know of any relatives in Chicago?

            Caye

            --- nhasior@... wrote:

            > Standard Time,
            > meg-n-andysmom@... writes:
            >

            > > Noreen,
            > >
            > > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down
            > the hall from you are
            > > some how related to me. I've only seen the
            > spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
            > > I'll have to get with you one day about this once
            > everything calms down.
            > >
            > > Jaent McKinley
            > >

            > Hi Janet
            > I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an
            > infospace.com search for
            > Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are
            > Olejniks in the area of where we
            > lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is
            > probably the correct
            > spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice
            > people. we lived in an apartment
            > house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton
            > Avenue and it had a Polish
            > deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an
            > antique dealer, a pet shop and an
            > office. there were four apartment houses upstairs
            > and we lived on one corner
            > and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since
            > we did not share a common
            > hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage
            > must have been powerful
            > enough to come through the walls. :O)
            > (As did our cooking as well)
            > where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik
            > live?
            > Noreen

            > removed]

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Janet
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
              All of my relatives named Olenik lived in Youngstown, Ohio as far as I know.
              My maternal grandmother was an Olenik. Her father and mother immigrated
              here around 1908 or so. None of this info is permanently etched in my brain
              right now...due with 3rd baby in Feb. I haven't gotten very far in the
              research to see where my great grandfathers siblings if any came with him.
              I know Dr. Joe Q, who is on this list, might possibly be a relative on the
              Olenik side. Sorry I don't have any other info to share.

              Janet

              _____

              meg-n-andysmom@... writes:

              > Noreen,
              >
              > I'm wondering if the Olineks who used to live down the hall from you are
              > some how related to me. I've only seen the spelling Olenik or Olejnik.
              > I'll have to get with you one day about this once everything calms down.
              >
              > Jaent McKinley

              Hi Janet
              I could be wrong about the spelling. i did an infospace.com search for
              Olinek, Olenik and Olejnik. actually, there are Olejniks in the area of
              where we
              lived and no Olineks at all. So your suggestion is probably the correct
              spelling. Olejnik. I remember that they were nice people. we lived in an
              apartment
              house on the corner of Third Street and Clifton Avenue and it had a Polish
              deli downstairs, an Italian novelty store, an antique dealer, a pet shop and
              an
              office. there were four apartment houses upstairs and we lived on one
              corner
              and the Oleniks lived on the further corner. since we did not share a
              common
              hallway, the smell from the cooking of the cabbage must have been powerful
              enough to come through the walls. :O)
              (As did our cooking as well)
              where did your relatives named Olenik or Olejnik live?
              Noreen

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292ad2ut/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1104491121/A=2495202/R=0/SIG=11evjk50a/*http://www.
              netflix.com/Default?mqso=60188913> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2495202/rand=249885717>

              _____